Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160447 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #1200
Hey DR. D are you doin the ball joints and bushings? Why did you need a spring compressor? dude you keep getting deeper and deeper.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1201
Keeping the stock k-member in your situation?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1202
Quote from: V8Demon;270058
Keeping the stock k-member in your situation?

I wonder about what he's thinking, I'm sure plenty!!
He's being a little more secretive lately!!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1203
I was lucky enough to be able to install the springs (and remove the fronts) without a compressor.Jeddy,you are really rockin' on the Cat !! I say that out of jealousy since the Sport is so close to death after the extreme damage yesterday and will probably end up being parted out (I was embellishing the truth there for a more dramatic feeling).
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1204
Ok, I need some input from everyone..
I was planing on reusing the entire front end. (the entire sha-bang) But now that I try to take the arms off, the bolts are rusted to the sleeves. Which means I have to start cutting and replacing parts, bolts, bushings, etc.
If you were in my position what would you do?  just replace the rusted parts, replace the arms, or just go for the gold and get a tubular front end. or is there a way of upgrading that i'm not seeing right now?
I don't have a problem with "better" as far as parts go.
On another side note..... I have an entire replacement in my parts bird that looks in better shape then mine. but I still need to remove the motor. I was planning on getting the front wheels back on and do the body work and also work on the motor in my spare time. or do I just put my front end back on to do the body work so I can move the car around and paint it, then swap the front end out again before I put the motor in.....hmmmmm
my brain is spinning right now, not knowing which would make more sense...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1205
I really don't want to be the first to answer, You might want to consider it the K mem.
Jerry I don't have the answer. Use your judgment.

Reply #1206
Jerry, Can you get a measurement on how far the rack sleeves stick out on th K member?? I am going to have to fabricate some as I checked with Ford and there are no kits or parts avaiable. Thanks in advance and your are doing an awesome job. Keep it up.

Reply #1207
If you can afford it jerry the tubular would be the way to go(you,ve come this far and have a tubular rear).
They do make tubular front arms with the spring perch's so you can still use your springs and struts and if you want in the future,replace the arms and go coil over.
Your arms will require replacement if you cut the bolts of as getting out the rotted parts will be near impossible.
Plus the car will be faster due to the weight savings ++.

Reply #1209
Quote from: chas jr;270096
Jerry, Can you get a measurement on how far the rack sleeves stick out on th K member?? I am going to have to fabricate some as I checked with Ford and there are no kits or parts avaiable. Thanks in advance and your are doing an awesome job. Keep it up.

Thanks, I'll get it tomorrow for you
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1210
I guess to answer the keeping of the k-member question..
I want to keep it stock for right now if I can. and put the motor from the bird in. I was planning on getting a crate motor in a couple years to replace the one I'm putting in now, so I was planning on changing everything over to tube when I did that.
So now I think I'm going to stick with my original plan, and toss this one back in for now to get the wheels back on and the motor in. I'll slap a quick coat of paint on it for the time being. If need be, I can change the bushings and arms If I run into a problem down the road, as I'm keeping most of the front end parts from the bird just in case.

I guess I just needed to think through a plan to keep the project going
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1211
Take the K-member from the Bird.and block up the front end of the Bird.A roll back truck won't care if it has wheels on it or not when it's towed away.Or,just cut the a-frames from the rusty bolt k-member and swap the a-frames only from the Bird.My own opinion.I am SOOOOOO glad we don't have to deal with rust here.My lower a-frames (when I swapped them) came off like a charm,no rust at all.I sometimes appreciate Oklahoma weather.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1212
If the K member is good I'd just get a set of arms from FRPP and put FOX balljoints in them. If you pull the arms from the T-bird you're going to have to replace the balljoints and bushings any way. Plus why not get brand new parts? :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1213
Quote from: chas jr;270096

The sleeves come out 2-3/8" the bolt comes out a total of 4"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1214
So I decided to paint up the original and if I need to replace something, then I'll deal with that when the time comes.
It needs another coat of paint still

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook