Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160558 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #510
If I had an arc welder, I would have bought one.
I guess it's another reason to buy another welder.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #511
I was never a fan of those spot welders.... id rather plugweld it like youve been doing... personally i feel that they are stronger, but slightly heavier obviously... cars coming along great! cant wait to see this secret stuff... Oh I came up with a name for my cougar project..... It will be callled........ THUNDERCAT ELIMINATOR XR7.5.. Instead of the normal cougar logos and emblems.. it will have the cartoon version of the cat symbol airbrushed on there...
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #512
2 probe welder, was what I said, but I meant a Panel Spotter.  Lencospot Mark II is one example.  They also work like a stud gun, but are more capable of fitting into tight spots.  There's really no excess weld to grind down like a MIG welder will leave behind.  Not for structural panels, but as a compliment to any arc and MIG welder it sure would be nice to have.  Oh, and they also have a rivet tip for putting on those molding rivets for trim.  http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lnxl4000.html
1987 TC

Reply #513
Ahh yes, the secret stuff.....
 Some of it is still in the blueprint stages right now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #514
Quote from: HAVI;241703
2 probe welder, was what I said, but I meant a Panel Spotter.  Lencospot Mark II is one example.  They also work like a stud gun, but are more capable of fitting into tight spots.  There's really no excess weld to grind down like a MIG welder will leave behind.  Not for structural panels, but as a compliment to any arc and MIG welder it sure would be nice to have.  Oh, and they also have a rivet tip for putting on those molding rivets for trim.  http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lnxl4000.html

Those are still a little pricey. (for just a hobby) ;)

I have found that if you get a mig at a hot enough setting, you can blow a hole through the first layer of sheetmetal and it will weld to the next if you pull back. but it's easier to punch holes first.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #515
Oh no another person with a secret.. the best secret kept are the ones where people aren't even aware of the idea of a secret, so you might as well just tell us what it is ;)

Reply #516
You'd like that, wouldn't you.
I need to locate a part first. It's coming
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #517
So after a long week of working, it was time to do the nasty.
Here's some random before pics.
I just cut the exhaust off. Don't need it anymore.

Quick view of where the new frame meets and can be welded with everything out of the way. The white spots are salt.

A shot before the drive shaft was removed.

The car coming down.

removal has begun.

A few shots before it came out.

My camera died in mid removal.
here's the after.

I'm pretty impressed with the condition of the front end.

This needs to be replaced.

That's all for today. Now the fun can start. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #518
Well it looks better than I thought it would up front:hick:  I'm suprised that there are no holes in the frame rails. Looks like the fun can start now ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #519
do yourself a favor and replace the rack as well as hoses. Napa carries the high and low pres lines.  The inner nuckle is adjustable as well,,wrote about the two different knuckles i have found in my diy link.

Reply #520
I plan on re-doing everything I can. The hoses are all cut off.
I did save all the wiring harnesses in case someone needs them.
Also goes for any parts off the motor itself. If someone needs anything for a T-bodied 3.8. let me know.
The AOD is mine

You can also see that I cut the crossmember too it was rotted and I'm probably going to make my own
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #521
So I moved the car over today and started getting it ready for media blasting and paint removal. I put it on the other side because the lighting is better.

First things first. Need to protect the glass

Removed the bumper, it wasn't pretty. I'll be needing new bolts and clips there.
this entire back area will be blasted. The underneath will also be blasted as soon as the tank comes down.

Here's some more shots of the condition of the front end.
Here's the holes on both sides, above the frame.

Here's some pics of the tunnel, and where the floor was repaired from the inside.

This side still needs to be finished

A shot of where finished meet unfinished.

Here's an upward view.

I have to be honest. I was really worried about the condition of the front end, until the motor came out. I think it's going to be OK.
It looks as though the hard part of the project is now done.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #522
IMO, I would blast each suspension part including the K member and POR-15 all of it. Then install new bushings and hardware.

Jason
88 TC with 93 GT 5.0 (.030 over), XE266HR Compcam, SVO 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK underdrives, BBK 1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" exhuast with Americian Thunder Flowmaster lers. Tremec 5 speed and 3.73's and alot of other goodies to list.....

Reply #523
Quote from: SR71TC;242348
IMO, I would blast each suspension part including the K member and POR-15 all of it. Then install new bushings and hardware.

Jason

It's like you read my mind, except for the Por-15. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #524
Ah so you did have strut tower holes. Figures :hick:

Just make sure you pull the wifes Town Car out before you blast the Cougar ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.