Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160552 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #480
Quote from: FLSTCI71;240769
Hey, I'll vouch for the quarters. They may have warped somehow after they were removed, but I know they were taken off with loving care! :D

I don't think you screwed up taking them off:D  I was guessing that maybe heat, storage, or something else caused them to warp not you.

Quote from: daminc;240778
You did a great job with the quarters Mike, There's no way they warped the way that they're out of whack.
I think I know what the problem is now.
The inside welding s of my cougar, and the s of the bird couldn't be totally separated from their original welds. They seem to be rotary welded around the entire , so the end result is 2 extra thicknesses of 20 ga. sheet metal sandwiched in between my wheel well. (Approx. .0718" ) and with any gaps between the 2 different panels, I can see where I could gain an adittional 1/8 that the panel is off.
Problem solved.
long story short......It just needs a little filler. LOL

Well hell it wasn't anyone's fault :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #481
I know the warping wasn't anyone's fault. As Barney Fife would say, I was just being "obtuse". :hick:

Jerry (daminc), I hope you can get everything lined up, although I think you've already proven that you can.... and more!

Lou, (thunderjet302), it's been nice seeing you on my trips to Chicago the last couple of times. If you ever make it up to Minnesota, you're welcome to swing by here. Bring a pickup though, there's another guy in Chicago who wants some Turbo Coupe seats hauled back for him. :D
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #482
It's been nice seeing you too. If you swing through again let me know :D I just put the 88 away for the winter though. I put it away before the snow even thought about flying. It's too shiney and clean to be out in the  salt ;) 

I don't know when I'd be up in Minnesota but I'd have to rent a pick up as all I have to drive is T-birds;) You're north of the Twin Cities right? I might be up there in a year or so to see the new Twins ball park, and watch the Sox beat 'em again:rollin:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #483
Quote from: thunderjet302;240816
You're north of the Twin Cities right? I might be up there in a year or so to see the new Twins ball park, and watch the Sox beat 'em again:rollin:

Nope, we're 100 miles south of the cities. The last Twins game I went to, they actually did play the Sox. And they lost. :mad:
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #484
Quote from: thunderjet302;240810
Well hell it wasn't anyone's fault :D

I guess technically it's my fault. I just didn't think about it until it happened on this side too.
Other then the less then 1/8" difference on the back end of the panels, (why only there I don't know) the rest of everything came out perfect.

Fortunately it created a low spot in the panel seam. :D

I'll get some pics later to show
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #485
So here's the weird dip in the panel.
Not sure how or why it did that. but at least it's in and not popping out.

here's the seam near the top.

I guess I'm going to roll with that and fill it. It's more then I usually like to fill, but I guess it could be worse.

Here's the work from today. I found that a socket fits perfect in the holes to line up the panels.

Got that welded up

welded the trunk well.

See, I told everyone there's some paint under the back end.

started welding the inside  of the wheel well.

All that needs to be done to finish the quarter panel is finish welding the wheel s, weld the quarter to the rocker inside the car. and put some extra welds inside the well joint.
then it can be seam sealed and primed.
The body part of the show is coming to an end.
After the 1/4 panel, I can close up the underside of the rocker
That's today for you. see you next time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #486
Wow cool that was an exciting episode. Ugh now theres nothing on TV nothing but infomercials. Oh well LOL new episode will be here before too long! :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #487
You need to learn to hack into the satellites for TV. That'll keep you busy for a while
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #488
Yea in all seriousness I have way too much time on my hands. With summer gone and all the shows and cruises done and even the late night weekend lot hangout withering on the vine...
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #489
Come down and finish my car. It's only a 9 hr drive. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #490
Quote from: daminc;240912
So here's the weird dip in the panel.
Not sure how or why it did that. but at least it's in and not popping out.

I guess it maybe caused by heating stress of welding.
Maybe you did your weldings too long distance continuously and metal was overheated.
But strange thing is that usually sheet will expand outward.
Maybe this caused because you use backing strip to weld panels. When it cools down after welding it will constringe and bends sheet down.
Of course now is too late and I am sorry if you already know this and did it this way, but I would like quote Randy Ferguson (http://www.fergusoncoachbuilding.com/):
You have to weld thin gauge sheetmetal much differently than you would heavier plate, even in the 1/8" range. You must weld a series of spot welds, with each one overlapping the last. I try to overlap by a 1/3 to 1/2 on each successive weld. You will also need to stop at regular intervals (not more than an inch) and stretch that area out before moving on, otherwise, it will have more distortion than you care to deal with.
You start by placing tack welds at 1" intervals to keep the two pieces in good alignment. (I'm only assuming you're butt welding, at this point.) You can then start the welding process. I prefer to start in the center of the seam and work out both directions toward the edge. You must stop and work the weld as you go though. To best do this, a 1/16" cut-off wheel works great for knocking down the proud weld bead. You want to leave just a tiny amount of weld above the surface, because you're going to work this down some as you hammer the weld to stretch the metal back out. You only work within the Heat Affected Zone or HAZ as we often refer to. This is the blued area around the weld. Do not leave the area when stretching a weld. Even though the surrounding area is distorted, it is still unharmed. It's just sucked in down some when the metal shrunk along the HAZ. It will pop right back into place when you stretch the weld seam. You stretch it by hammering on dolly, in other words, you place a dolly on the backside of your weld and hit it with a hammer, making sure your hammer blows are against the dolly (or post dolly if you have one) This will rapidly stretch the area drawn in by the heat and relieve the panel of the stress caused by the heat, removing the warpage. You can now add another series of adjoining spots and continue the process, jumping back and forth from side to side, working ever closer to the edges of the panel until finished. Once you've gotten the weld completed, you can go back and fine tune the weld seam work the panel with a slapper and dolly, producing a very smooth panel. I prefer to use a file to work down the final few thousandths of proud weld, rather than a grinder that will remove too much material. A shrinking disc will come in real handy too, to shrink any areas that you overstretch.

Cougar 86 3,8ltr TBI

Reply #491
I believe it's the problem of having to many panels sandwiched together. It was taking that shape before it was welded. I also had it pushed out with some supports. If you remember way back in this thread, I think I mentioned that the panels were stamped with crisper body lines then mine, and they also measured slightly different between the 2 panels.
So I"m going to sum it up with.... You can only do so much, when you have 2 panels that don't match exactly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #492
You can  probably get a brand new panel for the car and it wouldn't match. It's just the way it is.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #493
That's true, You could get an entire replacement panel, and it probably wouldn't line up exactly like the old one. Don't forget these new doors lined up different then my old ones too, even before I cut the quarter off. I can't wait to see the problems with the fenders and new hood.

Hey Vinnie, Did your doors and fenders fit and line up like the old ones did?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #494
I know your a perfectionist, but you can only work with what you got. Your beyond what I just said.It will work out.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +