Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160543 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #450
Today I started to weld the jamb and rocker
Here's a couple as I went sorta shots.

Put this part back on and tacked it to check the alignment.
Here you can see the previous weld ground down

I guess it's time to do more door adjusting again.

For some reason, these doors have a different shape on the top.
I'm kinda wondering if the doors are slightly different between the birds and the cats. I put a straight edge on my old doors and they are straight all the way along the glass trim to the top. These are angled about a 1/4" at the top of the door frame. Hmmmmm....

Another day, another problem to overcome. Mabe I'm just being to pickey.

Until tomorrow
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #451
hey jerry what gage are you using for sheet metal. Cuz i need to get a price for mine. I looked into the rockers and on the drivers side some of the inner structure is missing. So i have alot of work on my hands. Plus im going to relocate the body drain tubes since ford just slapped em in there and enclosed the rocker panel around them.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #452
20 ga. for the body. although I think they skimped, and made it a little shy of 20. mine feel thicker then the ford panels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #453
this is a cool project, im going to college now for the same kind of stuff you are doing, i love it, cant wait to see the finished car, good luck

Reply #454
Quote from: Cougar8775;240302
hey jerry what gage are you using for sheet metal. Cuz i need to get a price for mine. I looked into the rockers and on the drivers side some of the inner structure is missing. So i have alot of work on my hands. Plus im going to relocate the body drain tubes since ford just slapped em in there and enclosed the rocker panel around them.

I was just re-reading this.
What drain tubes are in the rockers? Do you have a moonroof?
relocate the tubes like they did on the Marks. They go through the wheelwell just behind, and in front of the rockers. They're the same way on my wife's Lincoln.

Did you ever get the rockers?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #455
Quote from: wnt2gofst;240320
this is a cool project, im going to college now for the same kind of stuff you are doing, i love it, cant wait to see the finished car, good luck

You mean there's a school for this? LOL
And I had to learn the hard way. :hick:
I'm glad you like the show. It's really about the tools when you do stuff like this.
I also pick up cool shortcuts and tips watching Overhaulin and American Chopper.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #456
not yet living off unemployment sucks. But yeah i have the moonroof. and when i redo the rockers i will relocate the drain tubes so all my hard work does't go for not.  But i know i have a ton of work ahead.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #457
Yo ,ic,I see a future for you ,teacher of body rebuilding. Lol.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #458
Quote from: kitzdnm;240357
Yo ,ic,I see a future for you ,teacher of body rebuilding. Lol.

I'll keep that in mind if this career doesn't pan out. LOL

Today I welded the jamb and started getting ready for the quarter panel

Here's the welded jamb. Still needs to be ground down.

Here's a shot of the 1/4. ground off the paint. and put pickelx on it to keep it from rusting.

Did the same to the backing strips.

Punched holes in the quarters to plug weld the backing strips on.

Backing strip, test fit

Next is to weld the backing strips on, grind the paint off the rocker panel and test fit everything again.
And I almost forgot..... Everything that I can't get to ever again, needs to be seam sealed.
Very soon, the car will be whole again.
that's all for today my friends.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #459
that door issue you have there would have me buggin.  I would have to know the answer to what you suspect.  You need a close up pic of a bird door in the area in quesiton. Ill bet your right.

im interested in that hole puch tool you have there,

Reply #460
Quote from: jcassity;240390
that door issue you have there would have me buggin.  I would have to know the answer to what you suspect.  You need a close up pic of a bird door in the area in quesiton. Ill bet your right.

im interested in that hole puch tool you have there,

I got a bird in my driveway. Was going to put a straight edge on it but it's been pouring out since yesterday. I may have an answer on that tomorrow. I'm welding a piece on the top of the door to remedy that problem no matter what.

The hole punch / r tool is from Harbor freight. I think it was $20.
The die kept moving on it, so I set it to a piece of 18 ga. metal, and put a tack weld on it. problem solved.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #461
gotta love harbor freight, they have all those odd ball tools in a price range within reach of us diy folks.

Reply #462
I need one of their catalogs.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #463
Quote from: vinnietbird;240417
I need one of their catalogs.

once you get one,, you will never stop getting them.

if you pay for the "inside track" membership, the prices are a little lower plus you qualify for lower shipping deals and such.  you also have access to things they have over stock of that are not listed in the regular catalogs.

to be honest, i am happy with all my purchases from them.  thier power tools are really good also.  I havent had to deal with any failures that put me into a return policy either. 

If you look on line, you can find a harbor frieght store near by  as well.  we have one in Salem Va near me.

Reply #464
I'm on it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..