Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160538 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #465
Vinnie, if you buy tools from there, you have to take them out of the box and use them. LOL

Today is another day to move things along.

Like I said, I need to seam seal where my hand won't reach.

Here are some pics of the backing strip being welded on.

Next is to fit the 1/4 panel and check the alignment.
When everything looks good. It'll get welded.

Until next time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #466
I have to use the tools if I buy them?  !!!!!......That ruins everything. I STILL have to use the air tools and compressor I bought in June of '07 (still in the boxes). I haven't even removed the door panels and window trim I got from you from their boxes yet. I figure they'll be safer there until paint.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #467
Quote from: vinnietbird;240462
I have to use the tools if I buy them?  !!!!!......That ruins everything. I STILL have to use the air tools and compressor I bought in June of '07 (still in the boxes). I haven't even removed the door panels and window trim I got from you from their boxes yet. I figure they'll be safer there until paint.

I get the impression that everything in your house is still in it's original packaging. LOL
Do you have plastic on your sofa?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #468
Nope,everything in the house is actually used.LOL.In the garage,that's a different story.I'll get the compressor out soon.I need to replace my strut bushings.I haven't even see the compressor yet,just the big box that it's in.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #469
So I got things ready today, ground down some welds, and did some behind the scenes sorta stuff inside the wheel well for welding.

Here's the panel for it's last test run.

I had it on and off about 5 times, grinding and fitting the panel.
Mabe 1 or 2 times after this pic.

the back end is even.

Well, it's official. It's now part of the car.
Here it is tacked on.

I can actually say that I put the car back together in less then a year. Feels good to get that out of the way.
It still needs to be welded, inside and out. But I won't be tripping over that thing anymore. LOL  It takes up a lot of space.

Another thing to remember when welding.....
don't drop your gauges on the floor when swapping gas cylinders.

These are usually at 0 when not connected. oops... I wanted a nicer set anyway.

That's all today  :D .....................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #470
And for those who didn't see my video rebuild tour.....
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=21417
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #471
Seen the last pic, been there sucks. The stripe lines up better though!!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #472
More stuff,

Got these parts for my car, when I met up with baxo and dominator.
Had a great time that day. We'll have to do that again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #473
That sucks .... (your gauges).....but yeah definately  time for some new ones! The car is looking good ...any special plans for the motor..
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #474
Quote from: massCougarxr7;240730
...any special plans for the motor..

Nothing special this time around, just a stock 302 HO.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #475
moving right along.............

I welded the panel on today.

But wait, there's more

I also finished more doors for my house today too. I'm up past 100 so far. :hick:

and base board

Here's a shot of the size difference in panels between the cougar and bird.
The lips, and some other frustrating areas are not the same.
I also believe that the quarter panel has a different shape to it past the wheel well.

here's the inside view.

Everything ground down and pretty looking

A little welding and grinding in the door jamb.

Here's how the door lines up after everything is together.
just needs a little adjustment now.

So talking with my neighbor, and looking at my frame in the front of the car, he says that It can just be fixed, and made stronger then the original frame. Come to find out that he also used to add reinforcing to dump truck frames for a company, on top of repairing them. No worries now. My car will be built like a dump truck. LOL

That's all for today. Until next time......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #476
Hmm I would have thought that the quarters were the same except for the original parts that you left on the car. Do you think that they could have warped after they were removed?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #477
Quote from: thunderjet302;240764
Hmm I would have thought that the quarters were the same except for the original parts that you left on the car. Do you think that they could have warped after they were removed?

There really wasn't anything that would make them warp. I used the nippers that cut out the center piece.
the other side was the same way along the vertical seam and didn't quite match along the lower joint under the moulding. I can only assume a difference in panel shape right now. but remember, the trunk lid on a bird is tapered  in width from window to latch. Cougars are straight. I'm guessing the quarter must have a bit more taper to it too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #478
Quote from: thunderjet302;240764
Do you think that they could have warped after they were removed?

Hey, I'll vouch for the quarters. They may have warped somehow after they were removed, but I know they were taken off with loving care! :D
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #479
You did a great job with the quarters Mike, There's no way they warped the way that they're out of whack.
I think I know what the problem is now.
The inside welding s of my cougar, and the s of the bird couldn't be totally separated from their original welds. They seem to be rotary welded around the entire , so the end result is 2 extra thicknesses of 20 ga. sheet metal sandwiched in between my wheel well. (Approx. .0718" ) and with any gaps between the 2 different panels, I can see where I could gain an adittional 1/8 that the panel is off.
Problem solved.
long story short......It just needs a little filler. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook