Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160553 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #495
I wish you could help me out...
I need a rear quarter for my new mark, and im dreading it, but I think its gonna end up fiberglass again just because I dont have the tools or adequate welder.
looking great!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #496
Quote from: daminc;241086
Hey Vinnie, Did your doors and fenders fit and line up like the old ones did?

I dunno about Vinnie, but I replaced almost everything forward of the windshield on my car, and it took quite a bit of work to get the 87 TC fender and 88 T-Bird door to line up. The fender off the 87 TC parts car actually had a different curve to it (it bowed out more). After bolting it on and removing it a few times (no amount of adjusting or shims made a difference - I'd hold it in place, tighten the bolts, and as soon as I let go it'd spring back to the wrong shape) I ended up permanently un-bowing it the simplest way I could think of. I sat on it. I took it off the car, sat it on the shop floor, and sat on it, right at the top of the wheel opening. I obviously didn't put my whole weight on it (it would have flattened), but it worked.

The header panel-to-fender fitment was similar (remarkable, since the fender and header panel came from the same car), but there were enough bolt holes that I managed to "force" the fender to take the correct shape.

After all that, the hood actually went on easily. I only had to adjust fore/aft a bit, and I had to adjust the height at the rear using the stops on the hinges.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #497
Quote from: daboss351;241285
I wish you could help me out...
I need a rear quarter for my new mark, and im dreading it, but I think its gonna end up fiberglass again just because I dont have the tools or adequate welder.
looking great!!

I wish I could help you out.
Take some good close ups and we'll see the best way to fix what you got.
I thought you had a welder now?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #498
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;241314
I dunno about Vinnie, but I replaced almost everything forward of the windshield on my car, and it took quite a bit of work to get the 87 TC fender and 88 T-Bird door to line up. The fender off the 87 TC parts car actually had a different curve to it (it bowed out more). After bolting it on and removing it a few times (no amount of adjusting or shims made a difference - I'd hold it in place, tighten the bolts, and as soon as I let go it'd spring back to the wrong shape) I ended up permanently un-bowing it the simplest way I could think of. I sat on it. I took it off the car, sat it on the shop floor, and sat on it, right at the top of the wheel opening. I obviously didn't put my whole weight on it (it would have flattened), but it worked.

The header panel-to-fender fitment was similar (remarkable, since the fender and header panel came from the same car), but there were enough bolt holes that I managed to "force" the fender to take the correct shape.

After all that, the hood actually went on easily. I only had to adjust fore/aft a bit, and I had to adjust the height at the rear using the stops on the hinges.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with panel issues. (Not that I'm glad you had a problem... You know what I mean.)
I always hear about everyone else putting different parts on there cars, but no one has ever said if the parts lined up correctly, of if they had any problems with them.

Does anyone know where the panels where actually stamped, or how many different places made them? Now I'm just curious as to why the panels have different shapes, because now I'm pretty sure that was my problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #499
Project update:
I didn't finish the welding on the quarter panel.
The weather was nice so I decided to epoxy paint the floor in the middle bay. I'm not going through the wet concrete floor problem anymore. Tomorrow I'll put a second coat on it. (pics of it tomorrow)
Meanwhile, The rest of the week I'm going to get the car ready to pull the motor on this coming Saturday. It's the only weekend I'll have enough time to do it for a couple of months, and it needs to be done to keep the project going.
The car will be moved into the middle bay that I just epoxied when the motor comes out.
So not a lot to show right now. but there should be some spectacular pics next week. Probably of more rust. LOL
I'm sure everyone is sick to death by now of the quarter panel/ rocker episode. I know I am. LOL

I'll keep everyone updated as the week goes on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #500
Hey Vinnie, Did your doors and fenders fit and line up like the old ones did?[/QUOTE]

I have doors and front fenders from an '88 LX,header panel from an '87 TC,front bumper cover from an '88 TC,rear bumper cover from an '87 TC.Everything lined up great.No issues.The body lines are nice and matching up fine,the fenders were super easy to line up,although I did have to use a couple of extra spacers that the Sport didn't use with it's own fenders.No big deal.I hate filling and sanding it all though.That sucks.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #501
Quote from: daminc;241317
I wish I could help you out.
Take some good close ups and we'll see the best way to fix what you got.
I thought you had a welder now?

I do but it blows through sheet metal like no tomorrow
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #502
Quote from: daboss351;241360

Even on the lowest setting?
Try plugging it into a long ext. cord to cut down the power.

I finished up the welding on the quarter panel today.

Here's the outside of the wheel well

And the inside

Here's looking down into the 1/4 panel where it meets the rocker.
Talk about welding blind. I had to feel for the holes with the wire to start the weld. I guess I need to clean that out a little better. LOL

And as I promised, the garage floor epoxy.
1 section down, 2 to go. Thinking about painting a big cougar (like my emblems)  in the center, in light gray.

All that's left on this side is, welding on a new rocker bottom.
That'll probably have to be done after the motor comes out this weekend.
Until next time
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #503
Jerry, You have enough space there to paint the Word "Cougar" also. :poke:

Reply #504
Quote from: daminc;241504
Thinking about painting a big cougar (like my emblems) in the center, in light gray.

First of all...looks great!!! Gotta love spills comin right up :D

Second of all......

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #505
Quote from: daboss351;241360

then your welder does not have a "low" / "high" setting or current selector.

the onlything i coud add is to lower your wire speed and suck up the splatter as it happens, you just have to clean up / chip / wire brush more often.

Reply #506
So what are your thoughts about this tack welder for duplicating the types of welds that you drilled out formed in from the factory?

Im considering picking this up just for sheet metal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45690

this would have been very useful for a large bulk of your welds i would think and would'nt it reduce clean up on the burnt metal as well?

Reply #507
They're great for smaller projects and a lot of flat work.
I used to use one in high school metal shop (a long, long time ago) making tool boxes.
I could have used one for parts of my car too. It would have worked great on the bottom 1/4 panel lip of my trunk well, and also the inside wheel well s that I just welded. Mabe the next car.
I believe a company also makes an arc welded attachment.
here's one from Eastwood. (not sure how well these work though)
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1227&itemType=PRODUCT
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #508
I've been looking at that welder as well.  But I'm still holding out for a 2 probe resistance welder.  2 welds at a time and anywhere you can fit your hands....yea.
1987 TC

Reply #509
Quote from: daminc;241568
They're great for smaller projects and a lot of flat work.
I used to use one in high school metal shop (a long, long time ago) making tool boxes.
I could have used one for parts of my car too. It would have worked great on the bottom 1/4 panel lip of my trunk well, and also the inside wheel well s that I just welded. Mabe the next car.
I believe a company also makes an arc welded attachment.
here's one from Eastwood. (not sure how well these work though)
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1227&itemType=PRODUCT

whooo,, now i like that and 60A is well within range of back to back sheet metal. The welder i posted is purdy darn big.  The pic is misleading cause it looks like a bear to handle.  It does do the job though.