Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160973 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #2385
Well i supplyed the most important part... The SC trans! lol
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #2386
There's a lot of people here who contributed to this project in one way or another. Only 1 drivable bird was sacrificed to aid in the rebuilding......
These guys are responsible for the big ticket  rust free items on the car, like doors, hoods, trunk lids, quarter panels, rear ends, etc.... If it wasn't for Mike (FLSTCI71) and the rust free quarter panels, the car would have been stripped, and sped 2 years ago.
Cougar8775
FLSTCI71
Haystack
Kitz Kat
vinnietbird

And for the hands-on help... because he only lives 20 mins away
baxo

If I left anyone out, give me a pm....I got a ton of parts in 2 years and it's early today... lol
Also, if I got any parts from you... Even a light bulb, send me a pm, and I will add you to the list of credits that's going to be on the 1st page of the project thread.

So we're actually getting closer to the end of this project. All that's left to do is the motor/AOD....brakes/ lines, and fuel tank/ lines, and exhaust. everything should be done before winter except for the exhaust. I plan on that for the winter months, along with the little ods-n-ends.

I may be putting the tank and lines in this weekend. stay tuned for a report ..........
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2387
Got the tank all ready to install
Needed to do more building to put it in.

then I took it back out so I can put 1 last coat of paint under my car.

Time to find my gaskets, locking rings, fuel lines and senders..... Should have it in tomorrow... ;)
Quads are next on the install list
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2388
Todays update....
Got the tank in and everything connected to it. started running the fuel lines along the frame, but I'm going to put another coat of paint underneath the rest of the car so I didn't go crazy fastening anything yet.... Pics to follow in a little bit.

I also repainted everything in the rear end area of the car before I installed the tank. Looks new again. I still want to spray the inside of the frame, but I'm waiting until I get everything bolted back on it first..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2389
Pics of this weeks update....

pics of my modded pump upgrade.

finish painting of the back end before the tank goes in

A shot of the subframe connectors under the car

everything connected to the tank.

fuel lines

My little space between the frame for the fuel filter.

and the filter bracket

tank bolted in

I think I need to replace this section...
Anyone know what to use to splice a new section of hard line to the existing lines????

That's my update for the week. more painting underneath, and brake lines are up next...
oh yea... I almost forgot.....
The car is so stiff with the frame underneath it.... 1 jackstand under 1 side will hold up the entire back end of the car. I'll try to get a pic of that... but it won't be from underneath it. that's for sure.. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2390
I like seeing that you had the tank down. It makes me dread less that eventually I will need to drop the tank and change out the sending unit for one that works opposite. It will give me a good chance to inspect the fuel pump and lines inside the tank as well.

Reply #2391
My advantage is that everything was pretty clean going back in. My hands were actually still clean when I got done. Never seen that happen before working on a car. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2392
on those sub frame connectors it almost looks like the rear sub frame should of had the end of the connector boxed in... or had a plate that went from the connector you made to the rest of the frame. But im going to have to come up with a sub frame connector for my project:evilgrin:

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #2393
there is a plate that goes from mine to the frame
It's pretty much like this when it was finished. I got a good pic somewhere after it was welded in
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2394
Quote from: Watchdevil;327125
I like seeing that you had the tank down. It makes me dread less that eventually I will need to drop the tank and change out the sending unit for one that works opposite. It will give me a good chance to inspect the fuel pump and lines inside the tank as well.

If you make sure the tank is almost empty,you'll be surprised at how easy it is to drop and re-install.

Jerry,everything looks great.It is nice to be able to work on something under the car and come out still relatively clean.I also enjoy that feeling with the Sport.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2395
For connecting new hard line to old hard line I'd just go with compression fittings.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2396
Is there a connector to splice the plastic lines to the hard lines? Or a replacement section that goes to the plastic lines to the motor?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2397
Wait...... I think I found a Doorman connector that has a barbed insert for the nylon end, and a threaded compression end for steel. 4 of those, and some stainless lines should fix me up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2398
last coat of paint under the car...

Here you go John... This is where the frame is welded to the connector. Needs some painting touch up still. I'm going to have to take it to my friends garage on a Saturday and borrow his lift to get to some of these hard to reach places. Unfortunately, I need to drive it there to do it. So it'll have to wait a little bit. I'll probably shoot the insides of the frames while I have it there.

A quick mock-up of the motor.

header clearance on the P-heads.
this side should make it ok

This side is going to be a little different.
I'm going to cut the 4th tube and move it above the rest of the tubes. There won't be any smog pipes along this side to interfere with doing this.... It's always something. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2399
ahh i see now what ya did. I should get the drawings from ya to use on mine. Cuz lets just say she will be getting alot more HP and toque thrown at her. And that 4 banger will be gone.

Got that fox rash again!