Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160989 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #2415
Quote from: jcassity;328532
are you dropping in some trim inside the molding?

I am. Just have to find the correct 7/16 chrome that's close enough to match the original shape. looks like a winter job to me after its buffed.;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2416
i know you can get some chrome trim at the parts store. it comes in different sizes and its in a roll. but i don't know if thats what you want.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #2417
yea, I was looking at some chrome trim profiles, and they all seem to be half oval. I'm in no hurry. I'll keep looking.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2418
Quote from: Cougar8775;328536
i know you can get some chrome trim at the parts store. it comes in different sizes and its in a roll. but i don't know if thats what you want.

Chrome trim at the parts stores is not always the best. I have used this stuff on a couple of cars, including my former Ford Escape and around the grille on my current Mustang. That stuff crinkles and seperates after a short period of time. With my new Mustang I have to replace it every few months so it looks right. I would certainly try a high quality supplier off the internet.

Even the chrome trim that was OE supplied on 1996-97 Cougar bumpers was not high quality as the thin chrome foil started lifting and crinkling already brand new out of the package.

Anyway, when it comes exterior refinishing time on my Bird I have to consider what I want to use for protection and accent because I think plain just looks too bare and base stripper model looking because the bodysides are rather slab sided, unlike my Mustang which has sculpted contours. The grooved lower body side lines on the 83-85 cars make it look like something is missing. Also thin standard moldings like those OE on the same year Cougars seem to look base model to me.

However ic's black kitty looks really clean and nice without the molding and I think it is because the lower bodyside lines were simplified for the 87-88 models.

I have seen nice aftermarket moldings recently which are body color paintable but has a chrome strip running exactly middle and centered. Of course there are the chrome inserts available that are top set as well.

Reply #2419
I'm thinking about covering the chrome strips with a brushed aluminum vinyl covering. It would match the wheels and other parts I painted. if that doesn't look right, then I'll use a chrome vinyl to recover the old chrome. I really like the shape of the original chrome strips that were on the car.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2420
Quote from: daminc;328871
I'm thinking about covering the chrome strips with a brushed aluminum vinyl covering. It would match the wheels and other parts I painted. if that doesn't look right, then I'll use a chrome vinyl to recover the old chrome. I really like the shape of the original chrome strips that were on the car.

It's worth a try to see how it looks.

My challenge will be how to balance the earlier rear bumper cover strip with the newer front bumper cover installed. I am wondering how far off and different the 1987-88 rear bumper cover is compared to the 83-86 one. I may experiment with one to see if it can possibly be trimmed, modified or adapted in some way. The 87-88 body side moldings do seem to hold up better over time than the 83-86 ones. Which reminds me I shoud have grabbed the plastic front fender to bumper cover moldings on a TC I seen. I wish they were made of plastic like this all around.

Reply #2421
Quote from: daminc;328871

Use 3M DiNoc and it won't peel.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #2422
thats basically what i did to my 20th, i used vinal electrical tape though but used "sunburst" gold spray.

its in the body / appearance section.

no one i know of has found the correct molding yet.  i've found much molding out there but nothing like ours.  not sure what its called but it sure as heck isnt any of that half round stuff.

Reply #2423
I used what I had from Aerobird Motorsports (way back when).It was really good stuff.It had the right shape to it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2424
Yes, the shape is the key. ours are more rectangle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2425
I'm doing some searching.....Mine is 7/16 wide.I'm checking some on Ebay right now.Stay tuned.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2426
I can get you a pic later of just the chrome strip 7/16 x 3/8 I think
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2427
more putting back together. finally found my door locks after 2 months of searching. lol

had to do a little fine tuning to get them in.

then I had to seal the edges so they don't rust

then to open the door panel copuppies.

yeah, I know... these ratty old things. lol

a little radiant foil first.

and... back together

also found all my books and info in the map pocket

also found the tag that was on my windshield.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2428
Beautiful.The red and black look great together. I am surprised you didn't get a set of the red Sport style seats,though. I have a question...what kind of tweaking did you have to do for the outer door handles? I'm about to install new ones on the Sport.....again.

Reply #2429
I actually had to drill new holes because they were to high for these handles. also a little reaming in the slot along side the handle. nothing to serious.

as for the seats. it's tough to find anything that's even close to the condition of my seats. they're also very comfortable and feel like they did when the car was new.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook