Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160482 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #225
So where did I leave off....
Frame rails and floor.
I had to do some seam sealing under the car before I could install the frame. I also did some encapsulating and sealing before the frame too. otherwise I would never be able to get to some of these places in between the two.

There's no way to get a good pic of the underneath of this car, so I used a mirror I had kicking around. some are not the greatest of pics.

And here's the second coat

so there we have it. everything is ready to go back in.
I'll test fit it again tomorrow and put one more coat under the car just in case. Sat. I should be ready to weld everything together.
I also have the rocker ready to get welded after the frame gets welded to the rocker lip.
Oh yea, I need to do a little last minute seam sealing at the back end of the rocker.
I also see a lot of paint and undercoating flaking off the rest of the back end of the car past the floor. which is a good thing, Less heavy rest to deal with. looks more like surface rust then damaging rust, I'll try to get a pic of what I mean but thats going to be tough that close to it. but I'll try.
until tomorrow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #226
what an improvement!!! thats gonna be something your gonna be able to be proud of for a long time!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #227
It's actually starting to feel like I'm working on a car now, not some rusted can with paint on the edges.
Its also a lot of work, but I figured that if I got another car, I would have stripped it and done most of the same work on it anyway, minus the metal replacing of course.
And it does feel good to step back and see the progress I've made since the end of December.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #228
Jerry, You've taken baby steps but the big picture is starting to look clearer...and somewhere down the line you will be a proud (PaPa) I mean Cougar owner again I'll bet. Way To Go Daminc !! :headbang: :cool:

Reply #229
So I've been having computer problems since Wed. when my powerbook cooked another logic board. Not sure if I'm going to get it repaired or get a new one. I at least have my studio computer to use. I don't like being on the net with it, but I have no choice at the moment.

Things are still happening, even though I haven't been on much, because this computer is on a different floor, and its tough to be with my wife and on the computer at the same time. But enough about the computers.
I was sealing and coating the last couple days to prepare for the frame/rails. Its always in Gods hands when you have to let something dry, to move on to the next coat. so I ended up losing some time doing just that. remember, watched seam sealer won't cure.
Here's my progress of the floor and frame/rails.
this needs to be seam sealed and coated. and this side is officially done!!!!!

Here's the frame tacked in place and ready to weld.

I found out that I can't lay on my bad shoulder and weld.
Thats ok, I'll hit it with a grinder and it will get covered with the rocker, which will again be plug welded every 1" to the rail.
You can also see that I step d the existing rocker instead of putting a backer piece on. the reason was, that I didn't have enough room to put it in because it's so close to the bend.

and speaking of rocker
Here it is ready to go on

Until the next time,  Th Th Th That's all folks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #230
Looks freaking sweet!! You have inspired me to build something for my car. Dont have enough stock for SFC's, but I have enough thick square tubing to use to build a strut tower brace. Got an oxy torch at school to bend it, and a mig there so I can prob fab it up! I'm also getting a new set of rear control arms to put poly bushings in, and brace and box.
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #231
WOW! great work! I read all 24 pages tonight. I need more! whats next?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #232
Quote from: Bob;218328
WOW! great work! I read all 24 pages tonight. I need more! whats next?

I didn't realize there were 24 pages. You must have been up for a while. LOL

I have a small rust spot on the trunk edge on that side, and then its on to the other side. but first I have to finish the rocker and seam seal the rest of the side.
I should be done with it by next weekend.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #233
Quote from: daminc;218026
It's actually starting to feel like I'm working on a car now, not some rusted can with paint on the edges....

I can actually say I can relate to that feeling, lol. I had a Bronco that make me feel that way... and like most people, I gave up on it. Kinda makes me feel bad after seeing what you're doing to this car.

Reply #234
In case anyone is interested in the history part of the project.
I found the bill of sale for the cougar. I paid $8,370.00 for it on October 12, 1989 and was paid off in November 4. 1992

Yep, I had it for a looooooooooong time
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #235
So keeping with the weekly update of the project, I got a couple pics of a little something I have done in between other things.

Here is the inside finished and seam sealed. just needs a little paint.
That is the frame going through the floor, in case you just joined us.
The black that I'm using has a great satin finish.
That's what the underside of the car looks like now.

Here is the outer rocker, tacked and ready to be welded

I'll have more this weekend guys, don't you worry.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #236
now whats the rust killer you use?
I said screw it, and started grinding out all the rest of the rust to stop it now. Now I need something to get inside the panels to stop the rust.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #237
Did you ever weigh those subframes you constructed.  Any idea how much they weigh?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #238
Mason, there are two thing that I use.
Pickelx will convert rust and treat metal to keep it from rusting, and
Zero-Rust is the cheapest priced encapsulator on the market. I think I got 2 quarts for about $25 shipped. 1 quart wil do almost 2 coats on the entire underside of a car. I use a small 3" paint roller for the floors and frames. it leaves a nice final finish, and is UV resistant and solvent resistant, almost like an epoxy paint.
The red stuff I was using is Eastwood's encapsulator. Its about the same but costs more.
POR 15 is a very expensive product that requires an additive and I guess stinks worse then a rotting skunk under your house.

You can use an undercoating gun, with a long extention wand on it to spray the Zero-rust inside rockers, frames, and panels.
I've got a link to that if you need it.
You just have to thin it down a bit to spray it in a gun

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You know I never did weigh them. I thought about it and never did it.
I still need to make the other side, so somebody please remind me before I put it in.
If I had to guess, I would say 40 lbs or so per side.
I'll check to see if the weight was on the invoice for material
I used 5' 2x2 1/8'' tubing. I think it was (11ga.?)
and 10' 1x1 1/8'' tubing per side
I'm also thinking about front tower braces and some rear bracing.
I'm also thinking about a roll cage. I can get my hands on a 2-1/2 bender if I need.
I've got this fantasy of a dual turbo one day.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #239
I got the bulk of this side done today after doing a little re-adjustment to the rocker. Seems there was a hump in the center of it when I tacked it on last. I took it off partially and reinstalled it straight this time.

my new rustfree rocker. :D
the door needs to be raised in the back.

I'll put a nice factory looking strip of seam sealer along the rocker and side rail. It'll look like it came off the line like that

I have to get my dremel out and grind down the hard to reach places and corners.

Here you go, one solid side of the car.

Tomorrow, I should be able to finish the little odds & ends stuff and seal the rest of the joints on this side.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook