Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160495 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #195
What is the look you'll be going for when it's finished?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #196
Quote from: vinnietbird;216724
What is the look you'll be going for when it's finished?

LOL.....Not rusted.........LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #197
Wow that looks great. Do you have to replace the passenger side quarter as well?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #198
Quote from: thunderjet302;216752
Wow that looks great. Do you have to replace the passenger side quarter as well?

Yes, but I think less of it on that side. Less floor to repair, and I think the rocker is in good shape. But I probably may cut it open and replace it. It feels a little thin. It's rusting from the inside, I'm sure of it.
I'll probably be close to starting the other side next week end.
I'll do all the bodywork after the entire car gets put back together.

And as I said in one of the last couple posts, the motor will be coming out soon to work on the entire front end, as soon as it comes off the ramps. I'll need to take the front end apart . so off the ramps and on to the stands. But thats probably about a month away.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #199
I did a little 2nd coating this morning

I'll finish this after I weld the frame in

This afternoon I did a little prep work for the panel install.

Here's the jamb I pieced in

After I ground the paint off I put Pickelx on to keep it from flash rusting over night.
I would have taken more pics while I was working, but my battery was low.
another 2-1/2 hrs. today.
Tomorrow I'l finish the prep work and refill my gas bottle.
drill a bunch of holes around the wheelwell for welding and do one last test fit before welding.
tomorrows post should be a good one, if everything goes as planned
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #200
Quote from: ZondaC12;216707

STICKY!!!! Woohooo now youre in the cool-peopls's club. All ya need now is a Members Only jacket!

:bowdown: You have now achived the Sticky Status.:bowdown:
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #201
hmmmm...Sticky status
I guess that means I have to actually do a good job with the finish product. Oh the pressure.
LOL... I thought I would work my way up to tacky first. (Drums.....tada dum)

Here's what you been waiting for.......................

I cut down some backing strips from the replacement quarter, so the curve of the panel matched the strips.

Ground the paint off

And put them on the car for a dry fit.

Then used my hole punch to put holes every 1-1/2"

Of course did a test run for welding and penetration

Adjusted the settings some more

And welded the backing strips on

Then I had to do a little cleaning up on the new panel

That is a lot of undercoating, wish my car had that much to start with.

Got the panel on the car again

Here's an inside view of the backing strips.

And I started welding the panel on

Tomorrow I'll finish welding the panel, and move onto finishing the rocker panel and SFCs.

See you tomorrow my friends.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #202
nice work buddy.

Reply #203
Thanks, no warping at all. There was a nice cool breeze blowing across the back of my car
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #204
I just cant say it enough,you amaze me.this is the coolest thread of all time.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #205
Quote from: daminc;217049
LOL... I thought I would work my way up to tacky first. (Drums.....tada dum)

HAHAHAHAAH :laughing: YES YES I almost died when I read that. Epic Win.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #206
Wow, what a thread. You sir, are my hero!!:bowdown:

Reply #207
Looks  good man!!
I think my next tool is gonna be a welder. I need one!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #208
save up and get a MIG with no presets. I find I'm always setting it in between the numbers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #209
It's on for good now
the last of the welding

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook