Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160500 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #165
Thats what I should have done (paste a new side on the car).  Instead I spent uncountable hours bumping, sanding, filling, and sanding my rear quarter. 

Oh, well, lesson learned.

Reply #166
Quote from: danzajax;214923
Thats what I should have done (paste a new side on the car).  Instead I spent uncountable hours bumping, sanding, filling, and sanding my rear quarter. 

Oh, well, lesson learned.

Thats also a lesson I've learned years ago. If it wasn't for my friend Mike and his quick thinking, I would have had to rebuild both quarters from scratch. Apparently, perfect rust-free full quarters (with wheel wells) are hard to come by. Unless they're still driving around on the back of a rust-free car.
******************************************************************************************

For this part of the job, I'd like to once again thank Mike (FLSTCI71),
for all his help in getting me the parts needed to rebuild my car

*******************************************************************************************
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #167
Quote from: cougar86_89;214904
http://imageserver.carsoup.com/3FAHP/3FAHP071X7R174185-3.jpg?xt=51660

THis is the color i was talking about. It looks amazing in the sun.

I saw one today. Thats the color I'm thinking about using, with my red interior.

The color is Charcoal Beige. Looks different colors in different light. From almost silver gray to black at night.

or just black. hmmm

I think I like the fusion color better
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #168
It's been a few days since I worked on my car, and had 2 hrs to do some prep work for the big event.

I cut out the trunk well and fitted the panel to be marked and cut.
Got the panel exactly where I needed it and used tape to mark the edge to cut.

here's a couple outer pics of the old and new well

checked to make sure everything still lined up, before removing the panel

here's the back end. needs a little fixin before the panel goes on

Here's the part I'm going to repair before the panel goes on

Everything marked and ready to cut

Now, not a lot really freaks me out in life. But knowing that I only have pretty much 1 shot at doing this, kinda does.
I have done this many times before, but it's pretty impossible to get these pretty cheap, if at all

so here's the cut.
Not a lot left.

So this is where I'm at until tomorrow.
I got a little jamb rebuilding and small back end repair to do.
I'll tack the backing strips on tomorrow also so I can line up the rocker and jamb while I work on them.

Until Saturday my friends.
OK 1 more.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #169
Does anyone know if this thread can be saved pics and all?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #170
I think if you printed it to a PDF file it would save, but you'd have to do it page by page. Foxit makes a good free PDF reader/writer (MUCH less bloated than Adobe Acrobat)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #171
Amazing work.I wish I had a welder.......and knew how to use it.Once our daughter gets out of the house and into college next year (or later this year actually),I may just get one and take a few classes.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #172
Quote from: daminc;214965
Thats also a lesson I've learned years ago. If it wasn't for my friend Mike and his quick thinking, I would have had to rebuild both quarters from scratch. Apparently, perfect rust-free full quarters (with wheel wells) are hard to come by. Unless they're still driving around on the back of a rust-free car.

Hey leave my quarters alone (runs outside to check the garage).

Wow you're doing a great job. Are you going to clean up the rear frame rails while you have the quarter off?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #173
Quote from: thunderjet302;215785
Quote from: daminc;214965

Hey leave my quarters alone (runs outside to check the garage).

Wow you're doing a great job. Are you going to clean up the rear frame rails while you have the quarter off?

I'm going to clean up what I can get to, and coat what I can reach while I'm there.
I'm going to strip the undercoating off too (yuk) (may just torch and se it)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #174
Holy  I gotta stop reading this  thread....

You are seriously making me regret sping my '85.... :(

Nice work on your car man...

Reply #175
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;215801
Holy  I gotta stop reading this  thread....

You are seriously making me regret sping my '85.... :(

Nice work on your car man...

Thanks,
In a few weeks I should be about 1/2 way done with the rebuild.

Like I said before, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't stumble across all the parts that I needed in one convenient location.
It would have been stripped, sped and put into another car, as much as I would have hated to do.

I also did price how much it would cost to ship a fender from Vinnie in Oklahoma to NY.
1 fender--$120
I couldn't imagine how much it would cost for the full quarter.
I would guess $350 plus the price of the panel. ( I got 2)

On a side note, I was talking to my neighbor and found out, he has a 2-1/2" pipe bender. I'm thinking I could have some fun with that. And he said, he could repair any frame problem that I came across. He's done it professionally since the 50s. (The things you find out about someone after 10 years) LOL
Also my father-in-law is getting gung-ho about the motor part of the project. He's built drag cars since the 60s, and hasn't had a project in quite a few years. This should start to get interesting as my car starts becoming whole again.

Well, off to work on the cougar. I'll post some more progress pics at dinner time like always.

Jerry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #176
Just a question but what are you going to do about the side molding between the wheels? Do you have any of it in good shape or are you going to try to restore the old stuff?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #177
Quote from: thunderjet302;215816
Just a question but what are you going to do about the side molding between the wheels? Do you have any of it in good shape or are you going to try to restore the old stuff?

Parts car;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #178
I'm glad you're dospoogeenting all of this, 'cause from what I see no one will believe what you started with when it's done. That's some fantastic work you've done.

BTW: We need a "standing ovation" smilie.

Reply #179
Quote from: *MAYHEM*;215849
I'm glad you're dospoogeenting all of this, 'cause from what I see no one will believe what you started with when it's done. That's some fantastic work you've done.

BTW: We need a "standing ovation" smilie.

Thank you sir. These are for you my good man. Sorry, no dip

And back to the last question.
All my side moulding is in great shape except for the pass. side door.
It got a little wavy when I took it off. I'll replace it with the one from the bird, and grab the rest for extras.

I started out planning to work on the car all day, but you know how that goes. I did get all the outside lights changed over to the new ones today, and talked with my father-in-law about progress and future plans and upgrades for it.

So after all that, I got to work on my car.
I started with putting it together. for another test fit.
I also zip screwed the new door jamb parts together to be tack welded.

I just wanted to show how everything is lining up

And then after the last check, and parts screwed together, it was time to take it apart and start welding the jamb.

and apparently other parts that were never welded.
this post holds the front seat belt. glad I never had to trust my life with it. It would have peeled back like a can of spam.

this is where I left off today after 2 more hrs of work.
I'm welding everything that I find in here too

Until tomorrow.
Now lets eat those chips :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook