Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160509 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #150
i know it's not much, but all i can say is wow...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #151
Looks like that cat is going to be S-O-L-I-D.

I'd be interested in what the final weight ends up being.

What are your plans for paint?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #152
Quote from: t3skidoo;214665
Looks like that cat is going to be S-O-L-I-D.

I'd be interested in what the final weight ends up being.

What are your plans for paint?

Color? or product
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #153
Both, but more about 'when'.  Are you going to paint as you progress, or is it getting done all at once?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #154
I think I'm going Black or a dark charcoal for color.
Probably base/clear. Although a good single stage with wet look hardener has a warmer feel to the paint. mine still shines like its wet.
I'm going to paint the entire car at once. but I'll probably paint all the jambs first while I have the car apart.
I'm going to strip the entire thing also. there's to much paint on the car now to do a repaint .
I'll epoxy prime it first (mainly so it doesn't rust while I'm finishing the work on it), do any filling or dent repair.
Hi-build prime it, then long block it until there's no waves left, before I paint it. then cut the color and buff.
It should have a perfectly smooth mirror finish like my last car did
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #155
check out the charcoal gray in the 86 cougars. Those are just plain shagy. I like you work. And you have those hard drive magnets everywhere!
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #156
Quote from: Haystack;214705
check out the charcoal gray in the 86 cougars. Those are just plain shagy. I like you work. And you have those hard drive magnets everywhere!

Thanks,
I'm going to check the stock colors first. But I don't think It's going to be one.

Yes, there's hard drive magnets everywhere. I also have to keep them on the edge of the door, otherwise I have to try to pry them off with a screwdriver when I need one. there's about 12 -15 floating around the car somewhere. I'm sure I'll lose at least 1 in the car before I'm finished. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #157
Quote from: daminc;214738
Thanks,
I'm going to check the stock colors first. But I don't think It's going to be one.

The 06(I think) fusions had a really really nice charcol color. If i could decide on a two tone i would use that with black.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #158
I'm thinking metallic charcoal thats almost black
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #159
Here's todays fun filled hour

I cut the quarter away to see how much rust was in the wheelwell

some inside shots

After finding rust on the outer wells (like I didn't see that coming)
I just cut them off. Its easier to put another one on, then to try to fix it.

I finished separating the new panel and cut it down to a more user friendly size, just keeping it a few inches bigger then the size I'll need.
Here's a dry run with the panel on top of mine. I'll need to remove the bumper and cut away some more to make it fit correctly.
It's hard to explain what will be cut, so i'll have to take some shots as I'm doing that next time

So that was my hour of fun today.
I hope you had fun checking out the pics.
Anything is better then fixing floors.
If anybody needs these parts to repair a damaged back end, let me know. I'll be putting them in storage for someone that needs them

Thats all my friends, until tomorrow
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #160
You are doing an absolute amazing job! I try to check this thread at least once a day to see how it's coming along. When this car is finished, I really want to see it in person one day. :)

Reply #162
Quote from: DerikWayne;214898
You are doing an absolute amazing job! I try to check this thread at least once a day to see how it's coming along. When this car is finished, I really want to see it in person one day. :)

Thanks, I'll let everyone see it when its finished. Probably Catjam Next year.

cougar86_89 ......I think that is the color that I've seen and liked. I didn't know what car I saw it on though, thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #163
Todays 2 hour project consisted of removing the rear lights and bumper cover.

Then I moved on to, cutting down the new panel for my car

Which was followed by tpuppies the panel s off my car for a better test run.
There was a lot of measuring and remeasuring before I cut any of the panels this afternoon

Heres another test of the panel on the car.
got some of the rocker pieces screwed on for the moment.
the quarter needs to raise up in the back about an inch.
I still need to cut some more to fit it. but its looking good and tight

This is the part that needs to be cut out to raise the panel up

Here's a couple shots from inside the car

Thats todays job
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #164
Jerry if you use that black paint scheme plus the red interior it'll be the same color combo as ours too. :cool: :headbang: