Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160942 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #1785
The spider hold down in the valley is the #1 indicator along with the "XXX" stamping.
That appears to be the original block to the car.  The lifter dogbones are a dead giveaway as well.

Looks like you got yourself two boat anchor E6 heads as well.  :hick:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1786
I read somewhere that the xxx is the location where they were manufactured, as some people said they had non-roller blocks and the xxx on it. YYY blocks were said to be manufactured in Mexico with a higher iron content compared to the XXX blocks. I don't know if there's any real truth to that though. I'm going to keep searching for the real answer, be it location, or block type. I notice there's a lot of bad information out there about Mustangs, motors and modding. It's tough to know what to believe sometimes.

Does anyone have a pic of a non-roller motor? It would go good in this section of the project thread, as a comparison of the 2
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1787
Quote from: V8Demon;305281

Looks like you got yourself two boat anchor E6 heads as well.  :hick:

I was just looking for a door stop too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1788
Left is a roller lifter - which makes it a roller block.
Right is a flat tappet lifter - which would make it a non-roller block.
X

Roller blocks typically have the top of the lifter bores machined flat for the dogbones to sit.  The dogbones and the spider keep the roller lifters in alignment with the cam.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #1789
Does anyone have a pic of the non-roller block?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1790
Quote from: daminc;305300
Does anyone have a pic of the non-roller block?

Not on hand with an intake off, but like said the the dog bones are on it ,that makes it a roller. There would be less lifter bore on a non roller. Just build it, Quit stalling!!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1791
A quick googling and presto:

X
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #1792
Cool, thanks.. I've been googling  that for about 5 days now with no picture results.
.......On with the project.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1793
Good it's a roller. Just bore it .030 over, stick some good pistons in, and you'll be good to go:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1794
You need this.Sell the rest.
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=26107
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1795
Update
I've been degunking the motor.. That's all I got

I tried to get a pic of the crosshatch in the cylinders. but my camera really sucks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1796
You know what, they all seem to have that regardless of the mileage,don't know why.

Reply #1797
I would imagine they would be the same as the big three cylinder air compressure motors from locomotives I used to tear down. But I think the cross hatching is a factory marking from them being machined. I know if a cylinder had it it was still in good shape. But if it was worn off it usually ment the piston or ring detoriated and sed them off. So I would think you'd want to see that on them. I'm not a mechanic or a machinist but I kinda learned that from experience.

Reply #1798
Looks fit for another 100,000 miles to me ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #1799
Looks good !!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..