Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160949 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #1815
An Explorer timing cover will work?I didn't know that.Will a standard 5.0 water pump work or is it different for the Explorer.I didn't pay any attention when I pulled my Explorer engine apart.I MAY have an Explorer timing cover in the garage.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1816
think he meant the intake cover....BTW I got the stud out of the chain cover. now I need to find some new ones.... Any ideas where to find some?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1817
BTW. I'm typing this from the new shop... Now I need to set up the "Evolution Cam"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1818
What do you mean by "stud"?Is it a bolt with a built in nut and more threads for a nut to hold a bracket?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1819
yes
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1820
I have a few new ones (and a couple of nice used ones).I'll bag 'em and ship them to you along with the extra seals and gaskets I have from my Explorer engine assembly.

Reply #1821
You the man
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1822
I try to keep my end of the "agreement".LOL.

I'll let you know what I have in a little while so you don't buy things you may not need.

Reply #1823
I have the following to send you...

water pump gaskets
the long water pump bolts you need (new)
timing cover front seal

That's it so far.I've got to do some more looking around out there.

Reply #1824
Today''s adventure
started cleaning everything from the motor.
first off, this is the long bolt. The other one snapped.

2nd...... since I'm not a redneck. this is my Polish parts washer.
A left over laundry tub, a submersible pump, and a section of hose. it drains into a 5 gal bucket, and recirculates.
enjoy

and all my squeaky clean parts.

I seem to have a little rust on the oil pan. I thought it was all oil and gunk. guess not.

and the rest of the stuff that made it's way into my Polish parts washer.

and the rest of the parts to clean up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1825
Nice start on the engine project.Remove that seal from the front cover.I'll be sending you a brand new one.Are you even cleaning all of the parts that you won't be using?Media blast....prime and paint...

On another note,I saw the starter in the bucket.Get a smaller high torque starter.They rock.I got a "new" reman starter off of an Explorer 5.0 and it has been great.Super easy to wire (just add one wire),and there you go.It also relieves the car of a lot of weight.

Reply #1826
Being a fellow Pole, I'm interested in your parts washer.  What pump did you use for the washer? 

Iv'e been thinking of doing the same thing myself.  I have a spare dishwasher pump that should work.  Also, I planned to use a "clay sink" design.  Basically a bucket within a bucket.  The silt and junk drains into the inner bucket, then the water runs out over the top into the outer bucket.  The pump sources from the bottom of the outer bucket.  This way the heavy grime sinks to the bottom of the inner bucket helping to prolong the life of the pump.

Brake-clean has ruined about every pair of jeans I have.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #1827
Quote from: vinnietbird;306429
Nice start on the engine project.Remove that seal from the front cover.I'll be sending you a brand new one.Are you even cleaning all of the parts that you won't be using?Media blast....prime and paint...

On another note,I saw the starter in the bucket.Get a smaller high torque starter.They rock.I got a "new" reman starter off of an Explorer 5.0 and it has been great.Super easy to wire (just add one wire),and there you go.It also relieves the car of a lot of weight.

Just doing the parts I'm reusing. The starter is out of here. I can barely lift the stupid thing. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1828
Quote from: 88CougarGT;306431
Being a fellow Pole, I'm interested in your parts washer.  What pump did you use for the washer? 

Iv'e been thinking of doing the same thing myself.  I have a spare dishwasher pump that should work.  Also, I planned to use a "clay sink" design.  Basically a bucket within a bucket.  The silt and junk drains into the inner bucket, then the water runs out over the top into the outer bucket.  The pump sources from the bottom of the outer bucket.  This way the heavy grime sinks to the bottom of the inner bucket helping to prolong the life of the pump.

Brake-clean has ruined about every pair of jeans I have.

I used an extra pump I had for draining the pool cover in the old days. any submersible,or piped pump should work fine. your setup should work good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1829
Love the grocery store shelves. :rollin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane