Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160512 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #1425
I think it looks awesome. But it makes your wiper blades look like shiznit. LOL

Reply #1426
Looks good. Your car has been off the road as long as mine. 9/03 inspection?

Reply #1427
Hey, those wiper blades are from the 80s man. They're classics  J/K

I had to put something on in case they got turned on by accident at some point. Still need to do something to those rubber hoses. mabe a little armor all will make them look a little better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1428
Quote from: thundr306;277728
Looks good. Your car has been off the road as long as mine. 9/03 inspection?

Yea, It's been a while. I took a couple years off to let it rust. :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1429
Hey dude...I was at least as excited this spring when I painted the trim around my windshield etc. Made it look soooo much better. Amazing what a difference little things like that make. Gottta have it, if its not there it makes you :screwy:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1430
It's pretty cool following the work on your car while I have just started mine.

Reply #1431
Quote from: daminc;276407

When I bought the car, the rumor was that the motor was replaced at some time in the 90s. But there's no sign of any bolts, fenders, or hood ever being removed.

You can get a 5.0 in and out of these cars with the hood on and with out having to remove any body panels. Trust me I did it :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1432
That's very interesting, I wonder if there's a way to tell if it had been replaced at some point? although I think it says 87 on the original calibration sticker.. It could've been replaced with another 87 motor though. I guess we'll never really know will we.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1433
The engine could've been replaced,but everything that bolts to it was original.Valve covers,accessories,etc.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1434
You can pull the tranny and engine out together from the front of the car if your not worried about scratching your header panel. If you are, you need another person or a leveler.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #1435
Quote from: Haystack;278165
You can pull the tranny and engine out together from the front of the car if your not worried about scratching your header panel. If you are, you need another person or a leveler.

I'll take everybody's word on the motor pulling, but I'm not going to test that theory with any on mine. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1436
Quote from: Haystack;278165

I just pulled the engine out without the trans. You can get the engine out with out scratching anything by going up and forward with an engine hoist, slowly and carefully ;)

What are you using for mounts? Are you using ChuckW's engine mounts or the factory ones? If you're not using the factory ones could I buy them? I like spares and/or incase I ever find a V6 car that needs a 5.0 ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1437
Quote from: thunderjet302;278240
I just pulled the engine out without the trans. You can get the engine out with out scratching anything by going up and forward with an engine hoist, slowly and carefully ;)

What are you using for mounts? Are you using ChuckW's engine mounts or the factory ones? If you're not using the factory ones could I buy them? I like spares and/or incase I ever find a V6 car that needs a 5.0 ;)

I got a set from Chuck. I don't know what the condition of the existing mounts will be like after I try to pull this thing. I had to actually sawzall the ones off my 3.8. it fact, the top half of the mounts are still attached to the motor. :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1438
Quote from: daminc;278258
I got a set from Chuck. I don't know what the condition of the existing mounts will be like after I try to pull this thing. I had to actually sawzall the ones off my 3.8. it fact, the top half of the mounts are still attached to the motor. :hick:

I just wanted the top and bottom metal parts of the mounts. The rubber parts of the mounts are easy to fine. If you can get the metal parts off intact I'm interested in them :D

Reply #1439
Quote from: daminc;278181
I'll take everybody's word on the motor pulling, but I'm not going to test that theory with any on mine. ;)

I thought you took yours out that way?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +