Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160510 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #1410
Quote from: Cougar8775;276108
im thinking of tackeling this myself. once the rockers are in place that is. So basically id have to seal it even though its white? Also the color im thinking about using is about 2 or 3 shades darker the paint color is called titanium grey. and id like to seal it up anyway so its protected from any moisture and rust.

Then go with a light gray primer. You can use epoxy on the repaired sections, and use the same epoxy as a sealer. you just need to thin it down more to use as a sealer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1411
Did you weld in a re-enforcement plate for the shifter?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1412
Seen this at carlisle , now that's what you needed.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1413
Quote from: Kitz Kat;276319
Seen this at carlisle , now that's what you needed.

If anybody can rebuild that stang then (Dr D) would be who I'd call upon. :poke: :evilgrin:

Reply #1414
Quote from: thunderjet302;276292
Did you weld in a re-enforcement plate for the shifter?

No I didn't, seeing that I didn't know where the shifter was actually going to be. I can always bolt a reinforcement plate into the floor and shifter bolts if needed.

Kitz, I wish I had one for this car. Mabe the next project.

So in between stripping and re-spraying the aluminum coping for the pool. I degreased and got the bird out. pulling the motor is next on the list.

Does anyone know if this tag has any information about the motor or the car it's self?
Just curious, didn't know if the tag was of any importance, or if it was a part # or something,

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1415
The E7SE is a part number. E7 I do belive is a newer 90's part number. I know the E6 heads that are on the stock cougar/tbird are E6...

I would bet the valve covers were replaced at some point. Are you going full H.O.?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #1416
Are you planning on taking the air intake silencer off? Now would be the time with the fenders off. I took mine with the fender on, what a job!

Reply #1417
Yes, I'm going stock HO for now.

And I'm sure other things will be coming off and upgraded

It's definitely a part # for something. Just wondering what?
I'm gonna see what the sticker underneath says, if I can get this one off of it.

When I bought the car, the rumor was that the motor was replaced at some time in the 90s. But there's no sign of any bolts, fenders, or hood ever being removed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1418
The sticker is a calibration number (it even says so on the sticker), not a part number. Ford engines have had those stickers since the 70's and still have them to this day (some have a bar code).

Here's a breakdown of what the label means. Yours doesn't have the bar code, but it does have the info in the top left portion of this example. There may be another sticker on the engine with the bar codes
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1419
what is it a calibration for? If I may ask?

I think there was a long thin sticker on the other side that got destroyed when I cleaned it.
It could have been the bar code
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1420
-you need the calibration # for when buying parts(at least Ford ones) as they are cataloged by the calibration #s.  all engines use specific parts (think mostly emissions) for the specific calibration of the engine.  for example, a California car would use a different calibration code from those in the rest of the USA, or Canada for that matter...so if you buy your emissions parts from Ford you will need that #.(EGR valve, DPFE, DPFE solenoid, TAB-TAD solenoids, etc...)
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #1421
Might also just be an assembly line code, so that the proper engine with the proper emissions equipment gets installed in the proper car. There's also a calibration label inside the driver's door jamb, but I don't know if it matches the one on the engine (and since I've changed my valve covers I can't check)...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1422
Interesting, I'll check for the other label.
The car was also said to originally from California, and brought to PA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1423
So it looks as though they put a newer calibration sticker over the older one. I guess it could've been built, and modified before it went to California. No other stickers were on the car.
That's pretty much all I have to say about that. LOL

So today I started strippin the bird. If it unbolts, unscrews, or unclips, it's going into storage in case I need a replacement of almost anything. Including bolts, clips, and screws.
also checked the car for codes before I started. the infamous EGR code was all that came up.
Just working my way to remove the motor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1424
Not a lot of exciting progress like everyone's used to, but exiting for me I guess.
I did some refinishing to see if I like my idea.
Here's an idea of what I'm doing. I re-sprayed all the trim, wiper arms, etc.
There's a lot of clean up and re painting of various parts , brackets, screws, and bolts. Very time consuming.
I took pics at diff angles. I also decided to black out the window trim to match everything.

So that's it while I'm working, rebuilding the pool and getting ready to pull the motor from the bird.
I also need to clean the rubber hoses and hood seals.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook