Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160489 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #1350
Todays work,

And a couple random pics of the car.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1351
Nice. I would like to see how all the sound deadener stuff works out for you.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #1352
It seems to be pretty dead sounding when I rap on the underside of the floor.
the first layer is butyl. 2nd is rubberized/asphalt  layer (basically torch down roofing).
3rd layer is the aluminum insulation/ radiant barrier. it also has an R-13 insulation value.
The padding under the carpet will be the 4th layer in the entire mix, follower by the carpet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1353
Quote from: daminc;273593
It seems to be pretty dead sounding when I rap on the underside of the floor.
the first layer is butyl. 2nd is rubberized/asphalt  layer (basically torch down roofing).
3rd layer is the aluminum insulation/ radiant barrier. it also has an R-13 insulation value.
The padding under the carpet will be the 4th layer in the entire mix, follower by the carpet.

Leave some room for the gas pedal to move. I have a hard time shifting mine with the floor mat in.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1354
Quote from: Kitz Kat;273647
Leave some room for the gas pedal to move. I have a hard time shifting mine with the floor mat in.

Not a problem. With everything I'm putting in, it's still thinner then the original sound deadener that a sed out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1355
Quote from: Kitz Kat;273647

Same here.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1356
So whats the cost of the supplies to make your sound deadener/ insulation?

Right now my car has front seats, seat belts, dash, and a dome light. Everything else is out to be cleaned and fit my floor rust.

Im know you said in here someplace where to get the POR-15 but I can never find what Im looking for. Where should I get it from and how much will it take to do the floors, and what all would I need to do your insulation method?
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #1357
I would have to price out what I used. Unfortunately  I buy in bulk for a job, which means you would probably pay more then just buying dynamat, and would have a load left over for the small amount that you would need for your car compared to what you would buy. I figure what I'm putting into the car would be around the $250-$300 range. Mabe more because I'm also doing all the interior quarter panels, trunk, door,and probably the roof.
I guess My actual cost to to this is $0, because it's left over

The zero-rust you can score here. it's about $19 a quart and $60 a gallon.
if your just doing the inside floor, you will only need a quart. if your doing the underside too. I would just get a gallon for the $60. Just brush and roll it with a small 3" roller.

they also have the pickelx here to if you want to convert the rust as a 1st step.
http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=6RCC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1358
So Zero-Rust not POR-15, and the pickelx should be done to do it right huh? Think Ill go a gallon since Ill probably end up doing the underside where the undercoating has come off and rust is starting. Trunk wouldnt hurt either.

Did you have any rust on the inside of  the roof? I have some at the front center an on one of the sides. Thought it was a little odd.

Thanks
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #1359
I haven't taken the head liner out, so I  don't know if there's any rust up there. I hope not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1360
Today was a good day.
I finished up the floor today

and dug out some goodies. It feels like Christmas today

And just to be ready I pulled these out too

So I did a little dry fitting

And like someone read my mind, and drew this up just for me. I went to work

And finished up the floor

And then it was time........................

I still need to cut the carpet and mount some things, but it's starting to not look so scary anymore

here's the back

That's all for today. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1361
sweet. Its really starting to look like a car now.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #1362
Nice man,gettin it done.
Either picklex or por-15 will work.
Jerry uses pickelx i use por-15,they both work very well.
I have personal experience with por and it works very very well,at least it has on my sc over the winter(no rust).
I also put some on a buddy at works 89 z24 that is all rotted out and the rust never came through even with all the salt up here and that thing is rotten,probably worse than jerry's ride although.......lol.

Reply #1363
Wow nice work! Although I would have thought you'd paint it black inside there before you started putting the interior back in, or at least paint the door jambs.

Reply #1364
The painting has nothing to do with the interior. There's a greater chance of me scratching something putting the interior back in. Those seats are pretty heavy with the motors. This way it's pretty much all set after the painting. It'll all get covered and sealed up whether the interior is in or not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook