Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160454 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #1290
Quote from: daminc;271995
The only problem with this compressor is that you can only compress the spring enough to get it seated in the arm and get a little pressure under it to hold it in.
If you compress it to much, you can't get the thing off the spring because it won't slip back through the coils. and you can't use it with the strut still connected either. There's not enough room for both because of it's size.

So it did help me to the point of getting the spring seated, and keep it from popping back out.

and then there is this

Reply #1291
The only problem I can see is, that I needed to compress mine just to get them on the arm.
I don't have stock springs in the front, and with the new isolators, it made everything about 1 1/2 longer then the space I had.  In fact, with no engine weight, the wife and I had to stand on the rad support to try to compress the springs enough to get the struts bolted on.

Vinnie, did you have the same problem with yours?  Aren't they the same springs? Am I going to be high riding? will I need to weld more steel on the front of my car to add weight? LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1292
Exact same springs I'm using.I pulled my front springs out (the factory Sport springs),replaced the a-frames,ball joints,and strut mounts,inserted the new springs into the perches on the a-frames and pushed the tops in with my foot,bolted the struts up to the spindles,and then,I used my two ton floor jack to lift the a-frame while I guided the strut into the mount and just kept lifting until the strut was in the mount and the spring was compressed.It took me as long to type this as it did to do the actual work on the Sport.LOL.BUT,I had the engine and all in the car.A few hundred pounds makes a big difference.The car sitss about an inch and a half lower than before,feels great on the road,and actually takes corners a little better.The ride is still smooth as before.You won't need to modify anything at all.Too bad you don't have a tie down in your floor.You could chain the car to the floor so it doesn't lift when you compress the springs.I'm going to see my grandmother,so,I'll be back this evening.If I can answer any more questions,let me know.Peace brutha.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1293
I can't wait to see this finished car!  CJ10?!?!
:jerry:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock

Reply #1294
I thought about bolting something to the floor to pull the car down.

cougarXLS
    I can't wait to see this finished car! CJ10?!?!

depends on how much more upgrading I do as I go
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1295
Quote from: vinnietbird;272232
Exact same springs I'm using.I pulled my front springs out (the factory Sport springs),replaced the a-frames,ball joints,and strut mounts,inserted the new springs into the perches on the a-frames and pushed the tops in with my foot,bolted the struts up to the spindles,and then,I used my two ton floor jack to lift the a-frame while I guided the strut into the mount and just kept lifting until the strut was in the mount and the spring was compressed.It took me as long to type this as it did to do the actual work on the Sport.LOL.BUT,I had the engine and all in the car.A few hundred pounds makes a big difference.The car sitss about an inch and a half lower than before,feels great on the road,and actually takes corners a little better.The ride is still smooth as before.You won't need to modify anything at all.Too bad you don't have a tie down in your floor.You could chain the car to the floor so it doesn't lift when you compress the springs.I'm going to see my grandmother,so,I'll be back this evening.If I can answer any more questions,let me know.Peace brutha.
I wish I would have replaced my arms at the same time. You had the right idea. Sing the stock isolator out was a PITA, and I wish I would have done my arm bushing then too, would have been so much easier later. I think my car rides better over most bumps. The big ones are still a hard ride.

Vinnie did you use the "spacers/stops", the things that go inside of the spring? I forgot to put the first one in and I cut the second one out so I could use the spring compressor. I dont plan on jumping the car so I dont think it will matter much, plus I take dips and inclines very cautiously as it is. There isnt much left in the spring before it is maxed out as it is.

Any info on using and not using them?

Quote from: daminc;272283
depends on how much more upgrading I do as I go

Jerry your going to need to get a at least a double car trailer.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #1296
So now we've come to the point in the show where we install all the panels, and fit them for body work and paint. It would really suck to find out that the panels won't fit right after they get painted. So we must do a dress rehearsal so to speak.

I cleaned all the dust and  off the car today and found the hood. I'll start to put the fenders and bumpers back on this weekend to make sure everything fits. (After I find them) lol
Here's where I start to do what I'm good at.

here's the hood just sitting on the car. I already cleaned the hinges down to the original primer.

While that's happening, I'm soaking the calipers to get the rust off. I think they're still the originals.

That's all for today. And today also starts the next phase of Project Evolution. "Body and Paint"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1297
Reman calipers are only like 12-15 bucks at O'Reilly's. Just make sure they are the correct ones. Cardone seems to have a problem with our calipers and making them right.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #1298
Quote from: DVP;272351
Reman calipers are only like 12-15 bucks at O'Reilly's. Just make sure they are the correct ones. Cardone seems to have a problem with our calipers and making them right.

But mine still work
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1299
Can't you rebuild them too?

Reply #1300
Quote from: 86XR7project;272358
Can't you rebuild them too?

You could. For the price I rather get ones already done with a warranty.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #1301
Wow, you'll be cruising around in it by the end of summer!

Reply #1302
nice bro looks great makes me want to hit the CAPS BUTTON ......hehehehehe
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1303
Quote from: bearmax;272408
nice bro looks great makes me want to hit the caps button ......hehehehehe

lol
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #1304
Not to stray OT, but the vert in the background has the top up!  Every vert on here, I don't recall seeing a pic with the top up.  Kinda gives me the visual for a hardtop that I've been looking for.  BTW, I completely understand losing fenders and bumpers, lol. :hick:

:jerry::jerry:
1987 TC