Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160478 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #1140
thats what grippes my ass about the front frame.  That hollow tube holds a lot of secrets.  I wish they were C channel or I beam in design on the light guage. 

Nice media room,, looks great and looks easy to clean.  Is that the floating floor stuff?

Reply #1141
Rust just won't give up on that car will it?
1987 TC

Reply #1142
Quote from: HAVI;266950
Rust just won't give up on that car will it?

Fortunately I'm more stubborn then rust.

######################################
### jcassity .... Yes, it's a floating laminate floor  ######
######################################
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1143
Quote from: daminc;266953
Fortunately I'm more stubborn then rust.

I think we've all figured that out, LOL

Reply #1144
Did a little more today. A couple more pieces, and I can put the front end back together, and hunt for my rad support.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1145
Been doing a little work when I can. Here's what I have up to now.

There wasn't really anything wrong with the frame on this side, but I decided to weld a sleeve on it anyway to match the other end. The towers were repaired using 16 ga sheet metal.

got it all sealed up so I can cover it up. I also filled all the holes

Still have to make the outer frame top pieces where the bolts go through the frame, I got some tubing to put in there to keep the frame from crushing after it gets bolted, although I don't know how much 1/8 steel will crush.

Hopefully I can get the front wheels back on soon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1146
The rad. support was delivered at 1:30 is it in yet?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1147
Ok so here is my question of ignorance to body work.

When you are welding new metal over the old rusted stuff couldnt that lead to rust continuing to spread onto the back of the new metal? I understand that it is not as exposed as before but it seems like there is still opportunities for water/air to reach it.

Also if it isnt too much trouble could you grab some close up pics of the steering shaft for me? At the joints, were it attaches to itself and at the rag joint and the face of the rag joint? My motor is kinda in my way.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #1148
Quote from: DVP;268461

When you are welding new metal over the old rusted stuff couldnt that lead to rust continuing to spread onto the back of the new metal? I understand that it is not as exposed as before but it seems like there is still opportunities for water/air to reach it.

Also if it isnt too much trouble could you grab some close up pics of the steering shaft for me? At the joints, were it attaches to itself and at the rag joint and the face of the rag joint? My motor is kinda in my way.

Jerry got special stuff!!!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1149
Quote from: Kitz Kat;268452
The rad. support was delivered at 1:30 is it in yet?

Got it, and everything looks great.
Thanks again.

No, I had to tune up my other car today. the weekend is coming though and I also don't have much work the rest of the week. so it could happen before then
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1150
Quote from: DVP;268461

I ground the rust of the best I could and then treated it. then welded the new metal then encapsulated everything, then I'm going to seam seal all the joints then encapsulate it again. then finally comes the paint. plus the metal I'm using has a coating on it to keep it from rusting. So basically in a nutshell, It will take at least another 25 years to rust out again, if I drove it all year long in Buffalo. This car will almost never see moisture again, and with all the extra metal I'm putting in, it's really going to have to be really abused to get to the same point that it was when I started.

I got this..........
I can take some pics tomorrow

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1151
I was just looking back at the pics. It looks like I welded that piece on rust. That was just a pic of the piece that was going to get welded. There were a lot of steps and grinding between that pic and the last one in primer.
Also....
You have to kinda look at a lot of this stuff, as a before and after view.
And remember.... it's real tough to weld to rust. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1152
Today's progress

Here's some pics for DVP

The before, during and after
This took about 15 min from start, to get it tacked welded.
I'll finish welding it tomorrow. ;)

Next is media blasting, some grinding, and a little more welding. Were a little closer to seeing the front wheels again.
here's another cool pic looking through the rabbit hole. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1153
I like the idea of boxing the top of the frame rails in the front. I always thought that *gully* looked goofy under the battery tray.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1154
Thats right where I cut it to. Love cordless sawz all's.