Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160511 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #1050
in the 2nd pic, you can see the lines in the metal for the lower holes, they're just centered on the bottom rail and will be easy to locate.
I think I'll be making new sleeves for the inside.
here's some of the old one
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1051
Nice work jerry.
I was wondering though,since the metal your installing is over the original frame metal,is it not  going to add to your original ride height and make your front end sit higher?????
I know not by much but it is still going to change it.
When i had my old 88 the bodyshop where i had the front frame rails replaced at made the pieces the same size as the original rails and welded them up against instead of over top,would that not be a better way to do it????
Not knocking you jerry,just askin.

Reply #1052
Chris, I've also been tossing that idea around for a while.
I thought about recessing the bottom of the frame so it would be flush with the original. And then I think, it's only an 1/8" or so and I have these mustang springs that will possibly lower it an 1-1/2, so I've been going back and forth on the frame location.
I also went around the old frame  for 1 main reason. The sides match up flush with the lower frame section, and I only need to weld new gusset plates over both sides of the frame for strength between the old and new frame. the height can really be anywhere I guess, but what I do to one side, I must also do to the other so it matches. (if I even need to repair the other side)
So I guess the answer would be, I'm not really sure what I'm doing yet, so I will consider any comments or suggestions about this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1053
I don't think an 1/8" will matter much. I don't think any of our cars are the same height from side to side, I know I'm a 1/2' difference.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1054
Quote from: Kitz Kat;261525
I don't think an 1/8" will matter much. I don't think any of our cars are the same height from side to side, I know I'm a 1/2' difference.

That's a good point. I now for a fact that 1 side of my car is about 1/2" lower then the other in the front when it sits on stands on the original frame. you can also see the space difference where the front frame rail was welded to the lower subframe on each side. I'll see if I can get a pic of that amazing Ford quality control. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1055
It is true about the fox body lean but i think that should more be fixed with adjustable rear control arms not raising the frame on one side and not the other.
Not really sure we should mess with ford's design and try to straighten the frame(even if it is a bit off) as it was factory built as it may cause alignment issues and suspension geometery problems that may be unforseen.
True if you have lowering springs it may not be at all noticeable.
Definetly understandable about the frame strengthening and a good idea as added strength can never hurt a 20yr old frame.
Either way jerry it will work, i was more concerned about the ride height and installed spring height.
It is much more of a pita to make and weld the rails in as factory and probably not as strong.
I definetley know you can do it lol.
It would just be alot more work and what you have looks pretty good already.

Reply #1056
FWIW, when I removed the suspensions from my car and set it on jackstands, I learned two things:  My garage floor is really uneven, and to get the bottom of the car level and straight is near impossible.  I may invest in a frame rack/puller/straightener.
1987 TC

Reply #1057
yea, I'm just going with the flow of how it was originally made. that's probably the reason why the drivers door gap was about 1/2" at the rocker, and the passenger side gap was about 1/8". :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1058
So jerry, what happend to the SECRET STUFF!!!!! did i miss some spectacular secrets revealed thread or somthing? lol jk, looks good, cant wait to see the engine bay all smoothed in, and clean looking!!!!and i dont think the 1/8 difference will do anything noticeable.
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #1059
Everyone will see the secret stuff on the grand unveiling of the car when it's complete. otherwise it's not secret stuff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1060
Quote from: daminc;261542
yea, I'm just going with the flow of how it was originally made. that's probably the reason why the drivers door gap was about 1/2" at the rocker, and the passenger side gap was about 1/8". :hick:

Hey my driver's door has a 1/8" bigger gap by the rocker than the passenger side. I'm not the only one :hick:  Great quality control eh?

The Cougar is looking good. I think that engine bay needs a 460 ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1061
I also had about a 1/2" of shims on the top side of one fender. now I know why
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1062
ahhh i see...... so no pics when that stuff is going on........
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #1063
Quote from: massCougarxr7;261564
ahhh i see...... so no pics when that stuff is going on........

Sorry, only when completed. Then I'll post the pics of when I was doing it. But they may sneak in without me realizing it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1064
So I guess before I can repair the frame, I have to repair the firewall.

here are some inside pics under the dash

so it's tacked in place for now. I'll finish welding it tomorrow. And just in case you ever thought, "gee, does my head fit up under the dash?"..... The answer is yes.
After your car starts on fire from a straggler piece of sound deadener that you thought had removed. you'll find a way to get your head in there to see if you put it out. :hick:

all is well in the fire area. just a little smoldering.
That's all for today
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook