Skip to main content
Topic: 350hp!! (Read 8673 times) previous topic - next topic

350hp!!

my father told me after winter i get to have has much hp as my brother does in his car (grand prix GTP) and he has 350hp. so my father said he would have my motor totally rebuild.
so i was just wondering what the best bang for the buck was for parts. crankshaft, pistons, rods, heads, etc.
any advice?
im also getting a mustang rear end and my transmission totally serviced with a shift installed.
i also want my motor to be naturally aspirated.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

350hp!!

Reply #1
A good start is if your rebuilding and looking to replace internals go w/a good 347 package. Then any decent combo after that will give you more than that and a good tune you will be pushing 400.

350hp!!

Reply #2
skip the 347 and go with a 331 for the street.  Trust me, it will last longer.  then top it with a set of AFR205 heads, or twisted wedge, and a nice Edelbrock intake.

350hp!!

Reply #3
He didn't say 400-450hp guys.
Skip both, just get a stock 5.0L HO and put a heads/cam/intake kit on it from trick flow.
Add some 2.5" true duals,shortie headers and a cold air.
Should be dam close to 350HP.

350hp!!

Reply #4
Quote from: dominator;185257
Skip both, just get a stock 5.0L HO and put a heads/cam/intake kit on it from trick flow.

:iagree:

Get the Trick-flow kit. Easiest way to go. Make sure you get the one that makes less hp but more torque as these cars are heavy;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

350hp!!

Reply #5

He also didn't state whether or not that was at the crank or at the tires.....

skip the 347 and go with a 331 for the street.

Ahem....A 5.315" rod 347 uses the same piston as a 331 (I'd use a 5.4" rod myself though).  Don't even go down the Rod/stroke ratio road.  They're close enough. Both right around 1.6.  Here's one even worse than both from an OEM.  An old 400 SBC.  5.565 rod and a 3.75 stroke FROM THE FACTORY with CAST pistons. R:S = 1.496
Me?  I'll take the extra 16 cubes and all of their benefits when it comes time to do up a stroker.

Lastly, building up the motor is great, but what about the supporting cast?  Rear gear ratio?  Torque converter stall speed?  Will the shift kit you're installing address the issue of WOT RPM's?  The stock weights in the tailshaft will hold you back considerably.

Just some food for thought.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

350hp!!

Reply #6
Well I HAD an article on reversing the piston rods for more hp.  But the site changed.  Here was the link, does anyone remember it?  It would've been a simple way to get 400 jp without spending tons of cash.  http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/28898/
1987 TC

350hp!!

Reply #7
Quote from: dominator;185257

Your right the trick-flow kits is the best bang for your buck but I would put it on a rebuilt bottom end. I was able to reuse my pistons but if you have to replace them might as well go w/a stroker kit. Good pistons are cost 500 machining the crank cost 100+ bearing and rings 100 etc,ect. Scat sells the whole kit for 800 FFRP for 1200. It’s up to you.
TFS advertises 350 hp w/there kit on a rebuilt flattop piston 306 making 9.6:1 compression.

350hp!!

Reply #8
go with a 351w w/AFRs , save $$ from not getting stroker and put into tranny and driveshaft.

Hey whats your brother have done to the GP GTP? what year is it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

350hp!!

Reply #9
i was watching horsepower and they only made 270RWHP with the trickflow kit.
i would have to bore the cylinders out for a 331 right?
i'll take 350RWHP.
what stall conveter should i use for that kind o HP?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

350hp!!

Reply #10
If you need a 351 core to rebuild I have one.  It's a mid-80's factory 4bbl model with rear sump pan.  $150

Another way to get an honest 350hp is a near stock Cadillac 500 engine. ;)

TED

350hp!!

Reply #11
i was watching horsepower and they only made 270RWHP with the trickflow kit.

A little lower than average......Most get right at the 300 RWHP mark and slightly above.
Kinda figured your magic number was for the wheels;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

350hp!!

Reply #12
I like Ted's ideas :hick:

Hey Ted, that 351... PM me? ;)

350hp!!

Reply #13
331 or 351 With some AFR heads
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

350hp!!

Reply #14
#1 331 is by stroke not bore

#2 351 94 and up in trucks are just as cheap and are already roller
    As for its not as strong it will still be allot stronger then the 302
    Block

#3 350 at the rear wheels I have to think you going to lose 70-100 horse threw the  auto 
    trany D/S and rear and tires so your goal should be 425-450 that’s some heavy HP on
    the street and not very streetable so I hope you have a 2nd car I’m no expert at this
    one but I think that much power at the rear wheels on a car weighing just over 3k will
    run low 11s