Skip to main content
Topic: Work in Progress - DIY Frame Rail Replacement - 56k Hell - Updated 11/15 (Read 10764 times) previous topic - next topic

Work in Progress - DIY Frame Rail Replacement - 56k Hell - Updated 11/15

Reply #45
Nice job so far.  I can't believe your doing all that outside in winter.
thats even more impressive

There's nothing like knowing that you fixed something yourself.

You should get one of those portable garages, a small heater, couple lights. maybe the neighbors would ease up and you could stay warm

I think if you got in an crash head on with that rail. a new car would crumple. but an suv or van would end up on top of your hood anyway. new rail or not

anyway, glad to see i'm not the only one trying to fix their baby
keep up the good work. we'll have to swap notes one day
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #46
Quote from: daminc;187453
Nice job so far.  I can't believe your doing all that outside in winter.
thats even more impressive

There's nothing like knowing that you fixed something yourself.

You should get one of those portable garages, a small heater, couple lights. maybe the neighbors would ease up and you could stay warm

I think if you got in an crash head on with that rail. a new car would crumple. but an suv or van would end up on top of your hood anyway. new rail or not

anyway, glad to see i'm not the only one trying to fix their baby
keep up the good work. we'll have to swap notes one day

Thanks everyone! I just need to come up with some money, and was thinking about getting one of those tarp type tents to put over it.  It's still not that cold out, highs in the mid-50's and lows in the mid 20's.  I'll keep working on it till it's to cold to go outside or snowing!

As far as the frame rail, I'm no to worried about it.  It's a 2x3 14 gauge steel tubing.  It's almost the exact same size as the original. The other side is the one that got a little bit bent while going in the ditch, I'll get a pic of it later, but from being pushed back ~1", it's not in that bad of shape.

Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;187421
You sir have FAR more guts then I.

I wish I could offer some input but you're way beyond my bodywork scope here. I must say though that for doing the repairs yourself it's looking pretty good!

Thank's that means a lot to me. It's not all that hard, I mean, just jump into it, and you will find yourself doing it. I'm only 19, and worked at a backyard mechanic's shop for about 7 months, doing maintenance things on cars, but nothing like this before.

So, there's a first for everything!

I just hope that my welds hold up:evilgrin: I'm having a bad problem of them cracking while they are cooling down, so it's been a nightmare trying to get a good one.  Today was the first time that I actually got some decent welds in.  Doesn't help that I'm using my grandfather's who-knows-how-old welder.

Reply #47
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;187421
You sir have FAR more guts then I.

I wish I could offer some input but you're way beyond my bodywork scope here. I must say though that for doing the repairs yourself it's looking pretty good!

Thank's that means a lot to me.  It's not all that hard, I mean, just jump into it, and you will find yourself doing it.  I'm only 19, and worked at a backyard mechanic's shop for about 7 months, doing maintenance things on cars, but nothing like this before.

So, there's a first for everything!

Reply #48
What kind of welder are you using?  A MIG welder would work pretty well for what you are trying to do.  Just tack it in a few spots, so that you don't put to much heat into the sheet metal and warp it. Then go back and finish welding it up, I believe the factory used spot welds every 1 inch or so. Make sure the metal you are trying to weld is clean and rust free.
What engine are you going to put in there now that you have your's removed?
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Reply #49
Looking good :D

You made sure everything was square before welding right ;) ?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #50
Quote from: 88BlueBird;187505
What kind of welder are you using?  A MIG welder would work pretty well for what you are trying to do.  Just tack it in a few spots, so that you don't put to much heat into the sheet metal and warp it. Then go back and finish welding it up, I believe the factory used spot welds every 1 inch or so. Make sure the metal you are trying to weld is clean and rust free.
What engine are you going to put in there now that you have your's removed?

I'm using an old stick welder.  And my metal is clean, and rust free.

Quote from: thunderjet302;187552
Looking good :D

You made sure everything was square before welding right ;) ?

Yea, it's square :hick:

Reply #51
looks like it will be a solid repair once you get it all welded in
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #52
It would be great if you could hook up with a MIG welder somehow. It has to be pretty tough trying to stick weld sheet metal.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #53
yeah, that'd be a PITA.  can you say oxy acetylene and the Henrob 2000?  Nice work, though.
1987 TC

Reply #54
Quote from: FLSTCI71;187698
It would be great if you could hook up with a MIG welder somehow. It has to be pretty tough trying to stick weld sheet metal.

Yea

Actually I'm doing pretty good with the sheet metal, it's the dam rectangular tubing.  My welds aren't penetrating very good.

Reply #55
I would go rent a MIG welder. It will make your life much easier. Plus you want to make sure you get good weld penetration into the tubing or you're just wasting your time.
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Reply #56
You can always use a torch and pre-heat the area on the tubing that you're going to be welding...works like a champ...just make sure you keep the heat out of the sheet metal.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #57
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;187799
You can always use a torch and pre-heat the area on the tubing that you're going to be welding...works like a champ...just make sure you keep the heat out of the sheet metal.

I thought of that, but don't have a torch.  I don't really have any money to rent one.

On another note, my mom's bf has a mig, just have to see if I can borrow it?

Reply #58
Here are some more pics of my suck-tacular welding job.

And here she sits, as it's <40* outside, and winds at about 20mph

Reply #59
Dude, those welds look REEEEAAAL weak...you definitely need to buy, rent, borrow, or steal a little MIG...it'll make the job SOOOOOO much easier...when you finally get one, lay a few good hot tack welds every few inches, then grind out all that nasty bird- weld left from stick welding.

Good luck man!

-Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads