Skip to main content
Topic: Work in Progress - DIY Frame Rail Replacement - 56k Hell - Updated 11/15 (Read 10766 times) previous topic - next topic

Work in Progress - DIY Frame Rail Replacement - 56k Hell - Updated 11/15

Reply #15
Quote from: stuntmannick;179327
That's the first place I check when buying a fox.

Yea, but when it's your first car, and only $150, who cares?  It just happens that I fell in love? with this car.

Reply #16
I had a crack in the sheet metal in that area. When I started cleaning it up, it surely was rusted on the inside bottom as water gets trapped in there. I cut out as much as possible and welded in a nice preformed "U" shape that I got one of the vendors I use at work to bend up for me. I think it is stronger than it was originally now.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #17
Speaking of frame rust...
I found a (little?) problem area when i was cleaning out the junk underneath the battery tray.

Seeing as this is the only area in the engine compartment that looks like this, With the paint gone and surface rusting.. I'm gonna assume there was battery spillage? The car did have a minor front end collision at one point in its life (The grille was busted up up and the header panel was broken in the middle).

This area is worrying me, Should i be concerned about this at all?

There was already the squared opening at the upper part (Water Drainage Opening?) But the other end has a bit of rust eating through.

This is what it looks like after wire brushing and metal filing until i hit solid metal at the edges:

The inner rusting appears to be surface... But i'm still worried.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #18
That frame rust is the same thing that did in my parts TC.

A word of advice, sduneman - do as atariman did and remove the K-member before trying to repair that. If the sides of that framerail are rusted through you can bet your ass the bottom, where all of the rust flakes and water would settle, and where the K-member is attached, is rusted out as well.

Romeo2K - that looks pretty minor. There's supposed to be a hole there, a square one that isn't quite as big :hick: I don't even know if I'd bother fixing that - put some rust neutralizer on it, prime it, a shot of paint (any color paint, since it's hidden, but paint is necessary as primer is not a rust barrier), and call it a day.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #19
Yea, I was planning on removing the K member.  I was also debating on going tubular, but that's a bit out of my price range At the moment.

Reply #20
Quote from: Sduneman3;179330
Yea, but when it's your first car, and only $150, who cares?  It just happens that I fell in love? with this car.

Found the same thing on my first bird (or car for that matter), but totally ruined the relationship we had going on. 

Finding rust like that is comparable to walking in on your girl and another guy.

Reply #21
Quote from: stuntmannick;179434
Found the same thing on my first bird (or car for that matter), but totally ruined the relationship we had going on. 

Finding rust like that is comparable to walking in on your girl and another guy.

True that, it hurts alot.

Reply #22
That's not as bad as one I had was. Note to self, never buy a car from Chicago.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #23
Wow!  The K member is even pushing up through!

My 88 TC has a spot about like the one at the top of the page..  But about half as big.  The other side is as clean as can be.
One 88

Reply #24
wow

Reply #25
Quote from: FLSTCI71;181790
That's not as bad as one I had was. Note to self, never buy a car from Chicago.

HOLY !!! That's bad.

For an update, today I picked up some 14ga 2"x3" Tubular Steel, and some 3M weld thru primer.  Holefully this week, I can get the frame rail cut out, and get it finished next week sometime.

looky here...

Reply #26
you guys should come down here in south alabama to buy birds and cats...i only paid $40 dollars for mine cause it didn't run. come on i was putting a 306 in it what do i care if it runs....by the way all you guys go check out my car photos on user rides . the cars down here only have surface rust, cause it never snows down here...:shakeass:

Reply #27
Thats pretty common on the newer unibodies. I seen a 79 mercury capri rusted so badly the sway bars busted off. We had to put a whole front end on it.
Children of Bodom!!!

Reply #28
Quote from: screaming306;181823
you guys should come down here in south alabama to buy birds and cats

Shush. Let the secret remain. ;)

Reply #29
Quote from: JeremyB;181927
Shush. Let the secret remain. ;)

Man, I wish I could go and get one down south, but that's a bit to far for me to go... I can barely afford gas right now, much less a road trip.