Skip to main content
Topic: Work in Progress - DIY Frame Rail Replacement - 56k Hell - Updated 11/15 (Read 10765 times) previous topic - next topic

Work in Progress - DIY Frame Rail Replacement - 56k Hell - Updated 11/15

Reply #30
Quote from: FLSTCI71;181790
That's not as bad as one I had was. Note to self, never buy a car from Chicago.

I live in Chicago. That pic shows all of you why I bought my Bird from California:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #31
one word TEXAS!

Reply #32
Well, tomorrow I'll post pictures on how far I've gotten on the car... I'm almost ready to remove the K member, and then start measuring & cutting!

Reply #33
Quote from: 4bangen;182162
one word TEXAS!

hey dont forget Kansas and Oklahoma!!  :hick:

Reply #34
That doesn't look so bad to me

http://www.daminc.myjalbum.net/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #35
Dam daminc, your car she be s!!!!
Dealt with this  before on my last bird(which i eventually sped,looked like daminc's car)had the front frame rails replaced by a body shop,cost me 800.00 bucks.
Also make sure you reinstall crush sleeves inside the rails, or when you tighten up the k member you will ruin the newly replaced frame sections.

Reply #36
Quote from: Sduneman3;182563
Well, tomorrow I'll post pictures on how far I've gotten on the car... I'm almost ready to remove the K member, and then start measuring & cutting!

Well, here's my update, I don't know how much longer I'm gonna work on it becasue It's getting kinda cold out, but really need to get it done before it snows, to make the neighbors happy.

That's what the frame section look like after I took it out!

Anyways, started to weld some sheet metal to match in with the rest, but the welder i'm using is shyte.  My welds keep cracking, and there isn't really in difference when I change my amps. So... I'm looking for a different welder.

Reply #37
WOW this is nuts. Too bad the neighbors can't appreciate your efforts. I can't believe you're REPLACING the frame. Lookin' great so far!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #38
hey take a ride down here to south alabama, the cats and birds aren't in that bad of shape. just some surface rust.....wow talking about bringing a car back from the dead...... good luck man,

Reply #39
You sir have FAR more guts then I.

I wish I could offer some input but you're way beyond my bodywork scope here. I must say though that for doing the repairs yourself it's looking pretty good!

Reply #40
wow.....all I can say is,you have got modivation..... thumbs up
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #41
thats cool, but I hope you never hit anybody head on, your framerails will spear you and the passenger.  what size is that?  they are designed to crush under a frontal impact and take the brunt of the force.  those tubes wont budge one bit.

good work though.

Good luck.

Reply #42
Bahh real cars keep their shape. :flip:  It'll be like him hitting a new car with a 50 year old car. He'll bulldoze the other one, IT will crumple, and WOULDJA LOOKIT THAT! Frame aint even bent! Hah! :giggle:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #43
You guys ever wrecked one of these with stock framerails?
Our cars are fairly stout factory, I really doubt he's getting any stonger than that, as is.
Besides....without seatbelts, let alone airbags, that whole point is shiznit.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #44
:bowdown: WOW!!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo