Skip to main content
Topic: new cam, stall converter? (Read 2555 times) previous topic - next topic

new cam, stall converter?

im getting a cam with .542/.563 lift, 110 lope seperation 8 deg overlap advertised duration 224/232

what should i do for a stall converter? i have a 1988 AOD
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #1
Will a cam with that much lift work on a stock motor?

Reply #2
No.  What else is done to this vehicle?  E7 heads in stock form will probably not be able to reap the full benefits of that cam Let's not even talk about E6's.  Also you're gonna need a tailshaft governor that let's you go to around 6000 RPM.  I'm guessing you have a 7.5" rearend.  I'd recommend 3.45's, a 2800 lockup stall convertor and some decent heads with a mass air conversion as I can't see that cam making too much vacuum.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
with a carb setup, your likely to have no real visible issues.

with an electronic setup,,,,,,,,,, your just asking to be kicked in the balls.  plain / simple ,,,,,,as already said,,,,, Vacuum with that much overlap will prob be the root of all your evil.

I have the same problem,,,,,,,, my cam is gonna bo bye bye.

Reply #4
so what is a good size cam then that i make make great torque and good horsepower?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #5
B or E 303 FRPP cam is my guess.

Reply #6
i want to make more power then that though.

Reply #7
I honestly duno man. I think the heads are holding you back as much as the cam.

Reply #8
with the cam listed you need a 2,600-3,000 with a good steep gear in the rear end (4.10 or 4.56)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #9
^ What Demon and Cass say
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #10
im looking at cylinder heads like these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALUMINUM-SB-FORD-CYLINDER-HEADS-SBF-RACE-302-351W_W0QQitemZ330148602613QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33617QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

im looking for a cam that will give me a really flat torque curve and also be heavy on the horses.
im getting a rebuilt HO motor in my car within the next couple of months, so im starting to buy stuff now for it.

Reply #11
how much power are you thinking your gonna get? your only gonna be in the low 300's
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #12
Quote from: quicksilver;162602

im looking for a cam that will give me a really flat torque curve and also be heavy on the horses.

What rpm range are you looking at?

If you use that cam with those heads, watch for coil bind!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #13
Yeah, I'm with Boss. Thats about all I'm shooting for with my car man

Reply #14
yeah, low 300's is what im looking for!! because acouple months after i get my motor, im going to turbocharge it. i want to run 8-9lbs boost.  im looking for 6000RPM.