Skip to main content
Topic: new cam, stall converter? (Read 2682 times) previous topic - next topic

new cam, stall converter?

Reply #15
too much cam for 6k max rpm. That cam will peak 7-7500 rpm. 110 lobe centers not good for boost. Too much overlap with blow the boost out of the exhaust.
 I would recommend 165 afr heads, (they have reinforced decks) and a comp cams fwnx264hr14. This would be a killer fuel injected forced induction motor that will work well by itself or boost and possibly even with speed density!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #16
AFR is alittle out of my price range though. but it does sound like a good setup though. do you know of any cheaper heads that would work?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #17
200cc intake runner would make it a dog in the lower rpms
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #18
^ agreed
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #19
Quote from: quicksilver;162640
AFR is alittle out of my price range though. but it does sound like a good setup though. do you know of any cheaper heads that would work?

Try to save up and get the afrs and the comp cam (btw aint cheap either)

You may be able to pick up a set of edelbrock or twisted wedge cheaper. The twisted wedge have the advantage of bolting up to so type pistons and are some great alumininum heads.
Don't rule out cast iron heads, but for the most part an out of the box aluminium head will likely out flow even a ported cast iron.

Reply #20
Quote from: quicksilver;162632
yeah, low 300's is what im looking for!! because acouple months after i get my motor, im going to turbocharge it. i want to run 8-9lbs boost.  im looking for 6000RPM.

LMAO.

You want the biggest cam you can get, gonna get cheap on the heads, want to run a turbocharger, and are limiting yourself to 6K rpm.

:hick:

I can't tell what you want.  But it sounds to me like you would be happiest if you just turbocharged the engine that's already in there and running.

A good friend of mine here in town has been 9.86 in the quarter, with a rebuilt (stock) 306, a $300 set of TFS heads, and a pair of TurboCoupe T3s - all in a Ford Fairmont.  That should be plenty fast for you, that wound up being around 550hp to the wheels through an auto.
1984 Thunderbird V8

Reply #21
No cam can make power without decent heads, intake, exhaust etc, it's a full package... Don't think about running such a cam on stock heads(E7 included) and valve springs...

A cam of 220*- 225* with 112* lobe center is about what I consider max for a hot street runner... My Stage1 Trick Flow is all I'd ever want... Still it needs a 3200 stall converter to really give back some bottom end...

Reply #22
Read up on some proven street engine combos and see what you want. Don't just go throwing the biggest parts *fancy* parts at your engine and expect it to make 500 hp. What you are considering will run like shiznit on the street. Even with mass air it won't run that good without tuning.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #23
which is better, the edelbrock performer. or AFR 165?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #24
well, how much RPM can a AOD take with a shift kit?
ok, what is the cheapest way to run high to mid 11's without running alot of boost?

Reply #25
Quote from: quicksilver;162703
which is better, the edelbrock performer. or AFR 165?

Afr 165's, its not even close. :evilgrin: Those heads with the comp cam fwnx264hr14 will make a nice flat torque and power curve just using that combo by itself. Then any kind of forced induction will make that much better :evilgrin:
 If you get that setup with 3000 stall lockup or 5spd. and 3.73 posi, it will be a cool street/strip car. Let me know how it runs cuz I always wanted that setup.
 Later

Reply #26
ok, thank you for your help!
now for the intake side of things.what intake manifold should i get besides the explorer?

Reply #27
I have a XE266HR form Comp and ported 95 Cobra GT40's...my car is fast enough to get me in trouble.
88 TC with 93 GT 5.0 (.030 over), XE266HR Compcam, SVO 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK underdrives, BBK 1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" exhuast with Americian Thunder Flowmaster lers. Tremec 5 speed and 3.73's and alot of other goodies to list.....

Reply #28
95? why didnt you just get a 93 so you didnt have to do any modifications to make it work?
i want a cobra intake manifold, but i know for around the same price you can get a higher flowing one, and porting will cost me $150.

Reply #29
93? I have an 88 TC that I installed a 93HO and a tremec. The heads are off a 95 Cobra. Still running the stock intake at the moment. I'm leaning toward a Funnalweb intake, Aussie built. Still keeping it EFI.
88 TC with 93 GT 5.0 (.030 over), XE266HR Compcam, SVO 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK underdrives, BBK 1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" exhuast with Americian Thunder Flowmaster lers. Tremec 5 speed and 3.73's and alot of other goodies to list.....