Skip to main content
Topic: Thinking of doing the unthinkable.... (Read 5283 times) previous topic - next topic

Thinking of doing the unthinkable....

Yeah... thats right, swapping my drivetrain into a Mustang...

I have a chance at an 82 mustang with a straight 6/auto with like 70k miles for about $700. Its extremely tempting to get it and drop my good running 88TC driveline in it and do away with the py body of my TC and have a 2600lb car with a 200hp engine.

But the TC is such a nice comfortable car, and even being almost being half a ton heavier it still scoots along nicely and gets better gas mileage than most newer cars. The body sucks, my back bumper cover is busted, front cover has a tear in it. Needs a new fender. The passenger side rocker in the back is gone. Theres other bits of rust here and there. But its structurally quite sound, it just needs some maintenance, and the strut towers are all good. And other than the rocker, theres no serious rust thats through.

Theres also the complications of having never swapped engines in such a way. Being that the mustangs an old carbed car and my TC's EFI and all the adapting the engine side of the harness to the interior side of the mustang. As well as the AC systems in the two cars and whatnot.

Im wondering how fast the Mustang would be with a fairly stock 88TC driveline. The mustang is a 3.3/auto with AC, and I think it weighs under 2700lbs. If I did do it I would of course be swapping in my entire driveline, T5 and 8.8.

Its all very tempting and all but I just like the TC so much, the downtime would suck being that its my only car. I could drive the mustang while pulling my TC apart. I have a spare K-member for it as well. But the Tbirds are getting rarer everyday. I see fox stangs every day, but Fox birds maybe once a month if that. Its also my first car, and of course Im trying to keep it as long as I can. My brother has been through 5 or 6 cars in the time Ive had mine.

I dunno though... It would be nice to have a car that has relatively low mileage and looks relatively decent... and is quick and cheap to drive at the same time. Its just hard to say goodbye to your first car when you know its capable of going for quite a while longer.

But for all I know this stang could already be gone.

Ive already had this posted at Turboford, but I figured I would get your opinions as well. Also wondering if any local members (20th anny, crystal) would be willing to help out if need be.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #1
I'll help any way I can man

Reply #2
If the car can go longer, I would wait and see if any Tbirds in good condition come around and maybe either swap the drivetrain into that or just keep it the way it is.  We're losing people to the Mustangs now... :(

Reply #3
I will personally club you like a baby seal if you do this.

Go weigh your extremely RARE Mach 1 TC. Seriously, weigh it. It's a hell of a lot less then you think. I made a bet with the guys on TF and they ALL lost. You'll be moving from a rare, comfortable car, to the world's most notorious cowl shaker.

Reply #4
Wow, after all this time I never realized there was such a thing as a Mach 1 TC...time for some googling!

Now with this info, I will join Aerobird in the clubbing if needed.

Reply #5
if you did you would have to change the k member. the I-6 k  member is an animal all its own.
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

Reply #7
From that picture  you have good looking  TC. I've been looking for one down here in H-Town (Houston,Texas) and they either want alot of money or they are parts cars if you find one at all. It's your ride but I say hell no.
Fix whatever needs to be done to your bird but don't strip it. Yeah it would be a unique car but your TC already is.
I find all this wierd because I stripped my 86 GT  down for my bird. If I could do all over again I would of done it sooner.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                        :birdsmily:

Reply #8
Quote from: kingcars;150938
We're losing people to the Mustangs now... :(

haha yup seeing a lot of that lately!!! :giggle: :(

also went on NATO forums, yup Aerobird's right they made 500 of those things!!!!

geez!!! lucky you! hold onto that thing! save up for some bodywork and get that thing in tip-top shape! God forbid these cars get valuable at all, yours will be at the TOP!!! certainly above mine, just over 10x as many built!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #10
Quote from: kingcars;150938
We're losing people to the Mustangs now... :(

Is this in reference to Shawn's (Tbird232ci) purchase of that '86?  If so you must not've realized he's keeping his original 87 bird and only getting rid of his 'mega-rare' TC.

Reply #11
dude dont bother, the time its gonna take you to swap it all, and what happens if you go and turn the key in the stang nothing happens. theres to many complications that you dont need
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #12
I guess if I understood the rarity of these so-called Mach 1 T-birds I guess I'd get angry and wanna beat the guy up too.  But I hardly think the 'complications' of wiring etc would be any good reason not to do it.

Reply #13
I dont think im going to do it now. The mustang is starting to get rust in one of the strut towers, and has other small bits of rust in some spots I guess. And yeah, the TC is plenty good enough for me I guess.

Still gonna go look at the car tomorrow I think, my dad keeps talking about putting his 4.6 dohc in it which I totally dont see happening.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #14
I couldn't find the NATO thread. What's the weight difference? Did Ford use aluminum parts or something? (e.g. driveshaft)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade