Skip to main content
Topic: Thinking of doing the unthinkable.... (Read 5282 times) previous topic - next topic

Thinking of doing the unthinkable....

Reply #15
Im pretty sure there were more than 500 Mach 1 cars.

And the ONLY thing special about them was the paint color. There were no fancy aluminum parts or anything like that.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #16
Paint color?  Is that all?  Meh.  Sorry to hear the old-school fox was rusting out, but I guess you can keep the savages at bay now anyway, right?

Reply #17
i didnt mean just wiring he said he never done anything like that before, i mean the fuel system isnt set for a FI anyway, i mean its doable, but youd need lots of time to do it right
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #18
The TC runs! Why rip apart a 1 of 500 car for a project? I have plenty of 2.3T's to sell, you can have the TC AND the Stang! TBird232's TC is a rust bucket and I totally see why he can't stand it, I've done the same. But hazard's car is a straight, solid car with really very minor issues that can be taken care of a LOT easier then swapping it all into a stang.

Reply #19
Ill try get some pics of my car today.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #20
Quote from: ZondaC12;151029
haha yup seeing a lot of that lately!!! :giggle: :(

also went on NATO forums, yup Aerobird's right they made 500 of those things!!!!

geez!!! lucky you! hold onto that thing! save up for some bodywork and get that thing in tip-top shape! God forbid these cars get valuable at all, yours will be at the TOP!!! certainly above mine, just over 10x as many built!

+1
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #21
I had a 91 hatch I was going to do the swap with and changed my mind.  When I go to the track I have the only TC there in a pool of thousands of Stangs.  Most of the time it's the only Bird there.  I don't even check out all the Stangs, they all look the same to me.  It's your car, do what you want.

Reply #22
They made a Mach 1 Thunderbird? Never heard of such a thing.

Was able to find another for sale though.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/car/341815324.html

$4800 doesent sound like a parts car to me
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #23
man that one is clean!
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #24
Quote from: kingcars;150938
We're losing people to the Mustangs now... :(

My oh my, Im guessing this is a stab at me. I guess you havnt been around for too long, but the TC is only my driver. I have an 87 3.8L (why do you think i have the 232ci on my user name?) that is my project car. And what does it matter what you drive so much? probably 80% of the Thunderbirds on the road today are owned by people who could care less about them. Go preach to them about these cars rather than people who are at least enthusiasts and are taking a step up from some of the low output engines, squishy suspension, slow thunderbirds thats getting difficult to find parts for. I paid 1700 for a mustang to make a daily driver, and its more of a car than my 3.8L is, it handles better, makes more power, lighter, and the parts availability is there. Try to be angry or upset about that.

Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;151118
TBird232's TC is a rust bucket and I totally see why he can't stand it

Sad thing is, its virtually rust free, but its twisted, and has all kinds of body work in it.

Quote from: daboss351;151107
i didnt mean just wiring he said he never done anything like that before, i mean the fuel system isnt set for a FI anyway, i mean its doable, but youd need lots of time to do it right

Itrs really not that difficult. Its easier to start with an 86 or so Tbird for the wiring harness, rather than an 88, and you just need to figure out which wires need power at what times, because the fuel injection needs different key on signals, and different constant power signals.

The only difficuly with the fuel system is the fuel tank, and for 100 bucks or so, you can get a brand new fuel tank for a fuel injected mustang, get a hanger from the junkyard, and a good fuel pump, its no problem. His donor TC would have all the lines. Run a good relay, and some 10G wire for power, and youll never have to worry about the fuel system again.

Point is, do what you want to do. I could care less about how rare these cars are, or what color or paint package. I stopped going to NATO mostly because they want to crucify you for wanting to take a TC off the road. It could be missing the floor boards and trunk floor, and theyll say "it was repairable, dont crush such a rare classic" To hell with that. You paid for the car with your money, you have it in your name, you dont have to listen to a word of anyone here.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #25
your right its his car, his choices.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #26
Quote from: Tbird232ci;151479
Point is, do what you want to do. I could care less about how rare these cars are, or what color or paint package. I stopped going to NATO mostly because they want to crucify you for wanting to take a TC off the road. It could be missing the floor boards and trunk floor, and theyll say "it was repairable, dont crush such a rare classic" To hell with that. You paid for the car with your money, you have it in your name, you dont have to listen to a word of anyone here.

x2
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #27

Point is, do what you want to do. I could care less about how rare these cars are, or what color or paint package. To hell with that. You paid for the car with your money, you have it in your name, you dont have to listen to a word of anyone here.
X3

the car may be rare but if you dont care then what differance does it make. maybe aerobird would like to make an offer to "save" such a rare car. personally if it was me id be lookingfor a cleaner more solid car. i dont like to mess around with rust and with the rear quarter toast on that thing, i would have written it off. i hate the bright red and if thats all that makes it a mach then yahoo. maybe it will be worth something. maybe it wont. i wouldnt count on it as these cars were never realy sought after and this one allready needs saving. sure its fixable but look at the one on craigs list. the things mint and i have my doubts anyone will fork over the cash for that bad larry. on the other hand, maybe another 10-15-20 years from now they will actually have some value. how many of the oldtimers out there cry about the cars they had and how rich or lucky they would be to have those cars today.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #28
I stopped going to NATO mostly because they want to crucify you for wanting to take a TC off the road. It could be missing the floor boards and trunk floor, and theyll say "it was repairable, dont crush such a rare classic" To hell with that.

Imagine that, a model specific forum suggests you save that model car and you run off butt hurt.  It was probably Pinto that said anything and he parts every TC he can get his hands on.  It's not as if SVO BUD has a TC.

Reply #29
My oh my, Im guessing this is a stab at me. I guess you havnt been around for too long, but the TC is only my driver. I have an 87 3.8L (why do you think i have the 232ci on my user name?) that is my project car. And what does it matter what you drive so much? probably 80% of the Thunderbirds on the road today are owned by people who could care less about them. Go preach to them about these cars rather than people who are at least enthusiasts and are taking a step up from some of the low output engines, squishy suspension, slow thunderbirds thats getting difficult to find parts for. I paid 1700 for a mustang to make a daily driver, and its more of a car than my 3.8L is, it handles better, makes more power, lighter, and the parts availability is there. Try to be angry or upset about that.

Wow man, I didn't mean any harm by that statement.  I was simply making a joke, and it wasn't specifically pointed in your direction.  Why are you getting so defensive?  Did I say you made the wrong choice?  Did I say it's a bad car?  Did I say your 3.8L is better?  The only thing I have a problem with is not that you got defensive, but that you took a shot at me as a result, which is completely uncalled for.

I'm also assuming you ignored my comment in your thread about it when I said:

Quote from: kingcars
I guess there are worse cars you could have picked up :hick: .

Nah man, just do the Stang some justice! It looks to be a great cruiser. Have fun with it :D .

I dont see any hostility in that post or the post I made here; nor do I see any anger.  I was simply joking.  For the price, I wouldve been all over that Mustang myself (especially since it's a V8 'vert); it was only $200 more than my Tbird.

I think I'm just trying to tell you that you dont need to prove anything to me or get defensive over it, cause I'm already on your side.  And dont take shots at other people just because you took something the wrong way.  That can boil my blood pretty quickly, especially if I'm not in a good mood.