Skip to main content
Topic: Thinking of doing the unthinkable.... (Read 5284 times) previous topic - next topic

Thinking of doing the unthinkable....

Reply #30
Quote from: kingcars;151552
I think I'm just trying to tell you that you dont need to prove anything to me or get defensive over it, cause I'm already on your side.  And dont take shots at other people just because you took something the wrong way.  That can boil my blood pretty quickly, especially if I'm not in a good mood.

If you consider what i said to be taking a shot at you, you need to get out more. I generally keep my mouth shut when it comes to taking shots at people, which isnt hard around here as of lately.

I dont understand the reasoning why everyone gets so butt hurt when a person has a car thats not worth doing a real restoration on, and most likely wont be worth the money in our lifetime, and make something they can manage out of it. People making comments about mustangs gets me irritated, even before i even thought about buying one, because all in all, the thunderbird is just a shadow to the mustang. We buy mustang left overs, we use mustang engines and transmissions, we use all the mustang hand-me-downs. We just follow in the footsteps, and people act like our thunderbirds are gods gift. The only reason there are less thunderbirds is because no one cared about them.

Quote from: Sluggo

Imagine that, a model specific forum suggests you save that model car and you run off butt hurt. It was probably Pinto that said anything and he parts every TC he can get his hands on. It's not as if SVO BUD has a TC.

Run off butt hurt? hardly. Some of these people need to open their eyes sometimes. I was trying to find a TC, and i understand nice ones are getting harder to find, but these cars arnt worth the money people would have to sink into them to save them. I saw someone refer to a dangerously rotten TC as "a rare classic" when they said to save it. To strip the car, have the strut tower and frame rail repaired, then re-assemble it would have costed more than the car would be worth, especially since it wouldnt be nearly factory.

When these cars actually pull more than they costed new, somewhere other than on e-gay, maybe ill eat my words.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #31
You're right about fixing them up.  Some people don't realize the $ and work that goes into fixing a POS car.  That's why the truely nice ones deserve a higher price, as long as there is someone willing to pay (e-bay).

If you're still interested in one I have a friend that finds them all the time in decent shape and reasonable.  He told me about an auto with real nice leather just yesterday.

Reply #32
easy there, thunderbirds ARE God's gift! its not my fault FORD had to build the fairmont and the mustang first before they finally got it right and built the thunderbird :flip:

:birdsmily:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #33
Quote from: Sluggo;151564
You're right about fixing them up.  Some people don't realize the $ and work that goes into fixing a POS car.  That's why the truely nice ones deserve a higher price, as long as there is someone willing to pay (e-bay).

If you're still interested in one I have a friend that finds them all the time in decent shape and reasonable.  He told me about an auto with real nice leather just yesterday.

I understand the nice ones going for cash, and I completely agree hat a nice one is worth the money, but some people need to open their eyes, thats all.

I appreciate the heads up, but I ended up buying a mustang to take over the daily driver duty. Thanks anyways Doug.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #34
How many times do I have to nail this into your head...I DIDNT DISAGREE WITH YOU PURCHASING A MUSTANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hell, even if I did, it doesnt make a difference; it's your hard earned money!  Why do you keep ignoring me saying this, then turning around saying that I'm telling you to get a Tbird?  SHOW ME WHERE I SAID THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!  Show me where I acted like Tbird's are God's gift.  Good luck searching.

I love how people blatantly ignore certain things.  I'd love to see where I told you to keep the Tbird and that the Mustang sucks.  I'd really love to see it.

Reply #35
Yay!  Let's fight about other people's car purchases & decisions!  FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

IBTL, jerks.

Reply #36
Quote from: Ifixyawata;151587
Yay!  Let's fight about other people's car purchases & decisions!  FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

IBTL, jerks.

That's just it...I WASNT FIGHTING HIM!  He's the one fighting me!!  So now you're calling me a jerk because he's taking what I said and twisting it way out, and even adding a lot of things in that I never even hinted at!

Here check this out:

Quote from: kingcars;151552
For the price, I wouldve been all over that Mustang myself (especially since it's a V8 'vert); it was only $200 more than my Tbird.

I think I'm just trying to tell you that you dont need to prove anything to me or get defensive over it, cause I'm already on your side.

Quote from: kingcars;149954

Nah man, just do the Stang some justice!  It looks to be a great cruiser.  Have fun with it :D .

How am I getting made out to be the jerk here?  HOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!?????????????  This is complete and utter bullshiznit, cause I have been open minded with everyone on this board.  I was one of the people to back up Sleeper's Mustang purchase, for example.  Screw this shiznit.  If people are just gonna warp what I say and make me out to be the jerk...

Reply #37
I was making a generalization of this forum as a whole. Your comment just opened up the gateway. I love how youre the one taking the defensive course now. Blood boiling yet?

If you read my post at the top of this page, youll see that i say "everyone" and "people" quite often. If i wanted it toward you 100%, i would say "kingcars".
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #38
now children stop fighting!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #39
Quote from: Tbird232ci;151594
I was making a generalization of this forum as a whole. Your comment just opened up the gateway. I love how youre the one taking the defensive course now. Blood boiling yet?

If you read my post at the top of this page, youll see that i say "everyone" and "people" quite often. If i wanted it toward you 100%, i would say "kingcars".

You posted that right after my quote, as if in response to it.

And yes, my blood does get boiling when people completely say I'm doing something like that when I never did.  I've always been a strong believer of freedom; for example, on a local forum I go to, there was a man who got back from Iraq and bought himself an 01 Tiburon and made it really nice and clean.  People were tearing the car up left and right, but I fought for him because it was his hard earned cash; even though I personally wouldnt make my car that way, I respected the hard work he put into it, which is something many people forget about.  I have done that sort of thing many times.

In fact, if you'd like to see that thread, go check it out:

http://www.carolinarides.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24535

Reply #40
yeh lets all calm down a little :giggle:

king,

yeah i dont think it was really directed at you. similarly, I don't think he understood you were'nt singling him out.

NATO seems to be essentially a parallel of where I go for my 38 buick--the AACA forums. Though thats focused to OLD cars and its reasonanble to get angry when someone sacrifices a 37 packard v12!

With these cars, it's just not worth getting too worked up about it, the more I think about it. I'll bet this is what happened with ANY era of cars that are desirable and seen as "classics" today. When they're 15-20 years old no one really cares about em that much, and some that do want to save them but most dont.

How much can we ACTUALLY DO? What happens with EVERY ebay link posted here to a 30K mile TC or something. "Dayum, I'd be on that if I had the money".

What do we have here, like 400 active members? So at BEST 400 cars in great shape, being garaged and pampered to last forever. (yeah right, we all know the guys with blowers or engine swaps who race em regularly)

How many were made between 83-88? Hundreds of thousands right? How much of "a difference" can we really make, as small as we are? In the end, there's probably gonna be few of these cars around in the future. We're unique, we can't make the masses be interested in them, and THATS what it would take to preserve something respectable like 75% of em or something like that.

We all know this guy well through this forum and thus would love to see him keep such a rare automobile. But if he wants to be practical, and, keeping that car isn't practical, or not enjoyable to him, then he's got to do...what he's got to do.

Save your car, if you can! If not, well, things generally don't get valuable when there's tons of em around (if anyone really wants that, and to be honest it seems most people here are like myself, wed actually like em to stay cheap, that way we can get parts and stuff easy! I know I'd rather not be having to look over my shoulder every other second to make sure someone wasn't trying to steal my top-dollar ride that is valuable to ME in ways FAR more powerful than just money)

NOW! bhazard you have heard the shouting, mudslinging and picketing from the angry mobs of protestors on either side of the fence. You must now use the new information, which contains SO MUCH useful thought and NO fluff or bs AT ALL and make a decision. Your entire future hinges on this point. Mess it up, and be shunned for life by several people you've likely never met before. Oh yes, be afraid BE VERY AFRAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #41
Quote from: Sluggo;151546
Imagine that, a model specific forum suggests you save that model car and you run off butt hurt.  It was probably Pinto that said anything and he parts every TC he can get his hands on.  It's not as if SVO BUD has a TC.

Excuse me? I have pics of EVERY car I've parted and not ONE person has EVER disagreed with my decision on them. All of them were wrapped around a pole/tree/truck or rusted so bad you could see right through from the drivers side to the passenger side.

Reply #42
To bhazard - Hey man, it's your car, do what you want with it. I'm just pointing out that it's pretty rare and maybe you should try to sell it first. I saved my 87 Code 33 TC, 83 TC, 87 Cougar LS 5.0/moonroof, and got John to save a 84 TC that were all going to be sped. There's plenty of turbo motors, and parts sellers, to Turbo that Stang and make a cool DD for you, without sacrificing a TC. Just give it a fair shake before you dump on it.

To everybody else - Yes, they only made 500 Red Mach 1's. Yes, Mach 1 is ONLY the paint. bhazard's car is rare because it's a Mach AND a moonroof car. The statistics say "45" moonroof/Mach's SHOULD exist, but I bet the # is a LOT lower. Especially with how little # of other options he has (like no cornering lamps).

That one for sale - It's near me. If I had $5000 and a parking space it would have been mine 2 weeks ago. I already have a 87 TC, Layla, the Sport, the truck, and a Grand Prix to deal with. I'm actually going to look at it for a NATO member.

In closing, I think tbird232ci said it right. It's YOUR car, do what you want. Layla has every option under the sun and I've hacked and slashed to get the most power, so a purist would kill me.

Reply #43
Wow, I cant believe I stirred up such a turdnado here. Well anyway, its pretty much been decided that my car is not getting sacrificed any time soon... like last week.

Still went and checked out the stang. Its a nice car. The interior seemed pretty much immaculate, and the exterior is just some surface rust. Needs paint. The strut tower on the drivers side was rusty, but not quite through yet. It also had some rust starting in the floorpan under the drivers seat.

It would almost be a nice car to get as a DD the way it is. With a good tuneup and fix the rust, all it needs is an AC charge, I doubt the gas mileage would be too bad.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #44
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;151615
Excuse me? I have pics of EVERY car I've parted and not ONE person has EVER disagreed with my decision on them. All of them were wrapped around a pole/tree/truck or rusted so bad you could see right through from the drivers side to the passenger side.

I guess that was a cheap shot, sorry Mike.