no it needs both solenoids functioning.
One 88

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #286
Quote from: CougarSE;183788
no it needs both solenoids functioning.

Why?

EDIT.

OK...I did some digging.  Swap the big wire from the switched side of the solenoid to the battery side.  Then take a 14g wire with the appropriate ends and run that from the switched side of the solenoid to the small terminal on the starter.

Got it.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #287
I duno.. I've never seen one wired up as you speak though.. in stock configuration they have both solenoids functioning.
One 88

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #288
Ok, well no picture updates at the moment.  Nothing really new to see.
I wound up getting another starter  (I wanted to save the mini for something else) and as a bonus it was smaller than the monster that was on there.  It was easier to install and I replaced the cable as well.  Hooked it all up, turned the key and *CLICK*.  Grrrrr.... So I check a couple things, and while the solenoid is clicking, it's not working.  No battery voltage is passing through when it energizes.  So, it need to pick up a solenoid.

I started plumbing the new hardlines for the brakes last weekend, and hopefully I'll have time this weekend to do more around welding and the rain we're supposed to get.  The rotors for the front are on the way, and I'll grab front pads when I get the new solenoid.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #289
OK well finally an update.

I replaced the bad solenoid last weekend and so that is taken care of again.  It was I also got all of the hardlines run for the brakes.

Today I spent a few hours getting all the brakes installed.  I found a compression fitting on the rear brake line under the rear seat, so I removed that and flared the line and replaced the couple feet out to the rear bracket.

I first got the rear brakes mounted.
These are SVO/Lincoln.

Yes I know the rotor is rusty.  It will be fine.

On the front I rebuilt the Vette PBR calipers and got them all mounted up.

These are 12" pieces.

The only thing left to do is to install the one missing caliper pin on the rear (had to buy one) and bleed the system and it should be good to go.....or I guess stop as it were.

I have welding to do tomorrow, so I'm not sure if I'll get time to do that or not.

I should still have rear portion of the parking brake cables in the garage, so I should be able to  make those functional again  as well.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #290
Looking good :D

Wanna come over and do a 5 lug swap for me? I'll give you a cookie ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #291
Well I got half the brakes bled this evening.

I got the fronts done and was working on the back.  I wasn't getting any fluid out of the calipers though, but I was hearing fluid in the line, like maybe it was working air through it.

Then the pedal got stiff, so I pushed hard a couple times and then it gave, and then I began to hear the fluid sound, only louder.  After about 5-6 times of pushing the pedal I stop because it sounds like the noise is coming from the pass floor board.  Well I know the line runs inside the car and sure enough, the line had rusted through and split.  Figures, the only line I did not just replace. 

Luckily it didn't make too big of a mess and stayed off the carpet, but I'll need to pull that out and make a new one.  Fun.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #292
Quote from: Chuck W;183790
Why?

EDIT.

OK...I did some digging.  Swap the big wire from the switched side of the solenoid to the battery side.  Then take a 14g wire with the appropriate ends and run that from the switched side of the solenoid to the small terminal on the starter.

Got it.

That is exactly how I did it, swap the starter wire to be always hot and run a wire from the terminal on the starter to the old switched side of the solenoid.
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #293
I DROVE IT!  I DROVE IT!! :hick:

I took the car out for it's first drive under its own power since I've had it.

I finally got the brakes taken care of.  I replaced that corroded rear line last night/today.  It comes through the firewall behind the HVAC box...so that was fun to fish through.  I buttoned it all back up but STILL had no fluid coming out the back.  Further investigation showed that the rear axle flex line was clogged.  "Luckily" I had an old custom braided stainless set-up I had on one of the old cars, so I installed that and got the brakes bled.
The pedal feels ok.  I have the 1" bore MC on there right now, and I may need the 1-1/8" one.  I'll drive it a bit and see.  The brakes work fine, just a touch spongy. 

I drove it down to the corner to finally get some good gas into it.  The carb is still a little buggy, but I'm hoping running some fresh gas through it will help. 

I need to get the front sway bar back on it and button up a little of the interior too.  I seem to be missing a rearview mirror...and I have no "button" on the windshield, so I need to hunt those down.

I'm sure it looks like a beast going down the road, but dammit... I like it.  :D

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #294
Chuck , :cheers:  hope you can enjoy your ride the rest ot the weekend.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #295
 good news!  I'm shooting for Monday to have mine out on it's own power!
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #296
NEW PICS!

Please......
1986 Cougar LS

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #297
Are you going to paint the PBR calipers?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #298
Quote from: cougarcragar;189389
Are you going to paint the PBR calipers?

Right now, no.

Have you seen the rest of the car? :p

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #299
Well I put about 10 miles on it this evening running over to get some take-out.  It's certainly not subtle :p

It was running better as it cycled more fresh gas through it, but it's still kind of surges a bit at cruise.  I hate carbs.

The power steering pump was noisy again, so I may need to replace it if it doesn't quiet down.

I may have a front caliper that is sticking, so I may pull it off tomorrow and check it out.  The car stops fine though, and doesn't seem to pull at all under braking.  I question the caliper because it is "loose"(like the pistons haven't pushed out to put the pads in contact with the rotor) while the other is not. 

Other than those couple things and a headlight out, everything seems ok and the car will get driven more and be a rolling project.

I caught the reflection of it a couple times in the windows of a couple buildings as I drove past... made me smile :D