Skip to main content
Topic: The '80 XR-7... (Read 34787 times) previous topic - next topic

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #300
Quote from: Chuck W;189486

I caught the reflection of it a couple times in the windows of a couple buildings as I drove past... made me smile :D

i love when that happens ;)

glad to hear shes alive!
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #301
I've had so many close calls due to watching the side profile of my car in the store-front glass reflections.
You have to be really nuts about your car to do that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #302
Well the caliper wasn't sticking, it works just fine.

I did have to mess with the other one though.  The pin that holds the caliper and pads on was fitting REALLY tight against the pads, and I'm sure it wasn't allowing them to float.  I took the grinder to the pad ears to solve that.

While messing around I also noticed the driver inner tie rod is a tiny bit loose.  Nothing catastrophic.  I replaced the bum headlamps too.

I didn't get a chance to drive it today, so the jury is still out on the PS pump.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #303
Kill It!  Before It Eats Us All!
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #304
Quote from: cougarcragar;189522
I've had so many close calls due to watching the side profile of my car in the store-front glass reflections.

you have to watch the turn out of the row to get the full effect though.... i dont care how many old ladies i have to hit im watchin my  car in the windows!
1986 Cougar LS

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #305
Well I drove it to work today.  No drama aside from the fact that the headlights wanted to turn themselves off and on.
Not sure if it's a bum switch or a loose connection somewhere.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #306
Maybe it's just the Cougar expressing it's joy of once again being on the road. It was waving hello to everyone you passed. ;)

Congrats on getting it mobile again!

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #307
Quote from: cougarcragar;189522
Psh, I not only stare at the reflection, I take pictures.

That's great Chuck. I can't wait to get my '88 back on the road.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #308
HAHA and I figured I was the only idiot that did that. There's one small strip mall near me that I go to quite a bit that is quite long, EVERY friggin time I find myself doing that, checking ahead of me for about a nanosecond....about every 5 seconds :hick:. Somethin about it....just looks awesome. Especially when youre facing it, and make a turn, seeing my car turn in the glass is just the BEST.

And to stay on topic LOL Chuck I'll bet that thing looks gorgeous "in glass".
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #309
Well I got another mirror from Michael and went to install it over the weekend on the window mount from the other mirror.....only to find out that they are different between the two types.  Grrrrrr....
The set-screw type has parallel sides, while the other tension type has angled sides.  Soooo off that mount had to come.

The parts store had the window pieces, so I bought one and another  mirror adhesive kit.  Now I just have to wait until it warms up a bit before I can remount it.

The weather has been py for almost a week now, so it's been sitting in the driveway

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #310
I would have just sent you that mirror for free if you needed it. Its just sitting here.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #311
Quote from: daboss351;192155
I would have just sent you that mirror for free if you needed it. Its just sitting here.

I had it covered, thanks.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #312
Np. Let me know if i can help out with with what ever. I got random parts every where
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #313
OK, well it has been months since the last post on this, but with the weather finally breaking and other cars are up and down for repairs, etc...this thing is going to start to see a bit more road time. 

I took a couple hours on Sat to drop a new battery in it (the old one was OLD and not holding a charge any more) and to reset the alignment after I swapped an inner tie rod.

It did piss me off though.  As I was under it aligning it, I saw something dripping, which turned out to be water/coolant.  At first I thought it might be a hose, but no...it's a freeze plug.  Try my patience and see what happens.....  For now I'm going to drop some Stop-Leak into it and see if that stops it.  I'm not inclined to pull things apart to replace a freeze plug right now on an engine that I really don't care about and one that when it comes out of the car will wind up attached to a chain and thrown over the side of a boat.  I just don't have time to mess with it right now.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #314
Well I put about 30 miles or so on it at driving it around Sat (has about 120 on it since I put it back on the road).  Did fine until the end when it decided it didn't want idle.  I'm guessing I need to pull the carb off and rebuild/clean it if I want to keep driving it around.  I hate carbs....

The coolant leak is still there, and I'm just going to let it stay for the time being and just keep on top of it.  I "may" pull things up to replace the freeze plug when I get time, but other things need to be done first.  I wish I had time to just work on the engine swap, but right now...don't have any.

It's really not doing too badly aside from being very underpowered, you can tell it's a 28 yr old Fox chassis though.

Next time I get it out I'll snap a couple new pics of it (i.e. someplace besides my driveway).