Skip to main content
Topic: speed govenor (Read 2233 times) previous topic - next topic

speed govenor

do all thunderbirds have one? mine does. and how do you get it off?
how much would a whole new racing computer cost?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

speed govenor

Reply #1
$1

speed govenor

Reply #2
oo wow, i dont have that kind of money. would it work if i just splist the VSS wire?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

speed govenor

Reply #3
why remove it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

speed govenor

Reply #4
Top speed isn't all it's cracked up to be.  The worn suspension and brakes on an 18 year old car are much scarier at speeds of 80+.

speed govenor

Reply #5
would it work if i just splist the VSS wire?

Si, but like Ifix said you may want to make the car ready for that kind of speed before actually achieving that speed.  I'd also recommend mayhaps doing ridiculous speeds on a track on a test & tune day where you are legally allowed to do so.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

speed govenor

Reply #6
yeah, i want it off because i want to start draging my car. i want to get a mustang computer for it.

speed govenor

Reply #7
Unless you have serious mods you arn't going to hit thw 120mph speed governer on these cars by the end of the 1/4.

speed govenor

Reply #8
I hit 325 mph before the 60ft mark with no speed governor.

speed govenor

Reply #9
Quote from: quicksilver
yeah, i want it off because i want to start draging my car. i want to get a mustang computer for it.

A Stang computer will not work on a SO Tbird engine... You HAVE to do a HO upgrade first...

speed govenor

Reply #10
Quote from: slamedcat
Unless you have serious mods you arn't going to hit thw 120mph speed governer on these cars by the end of the 1/4.

The governor is set at 182 KM/H or about 112-113 MPH. You aint doing that by the end of a 1/4 either :)

speed govenor

Reply #11
Quote from: Ifixyawata
I hit 325 mph before the 60ft mark with no speed governor.

Pffffft, that ain't nothin'...with my Allison V12 powered tricycle, i can hit 750 mph in 10 feet...;)

quicksilver, is this your first car?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

speed govenor

Reply #12
yep first car, but my govenor is set at 85 mph, not 112-113.

speed govenor

Reply #13
Hmmm? I think you might be looking for the Bondocougar mod. I'll try to find it for you.

EDIT: I can't seem to find it right now. I'm pretty sure the governor is at 182 KM/H - I've tripped it many times. When the governor engages the engine just goes back to an idle even though you have it at WOT.

You have the digital speedo, right? and it stops at 85 mph? but the car keeps accelerating beyond that.

If you want the speedo to read beyond 85 MPH you will have to do the Bondocougar mod. The gest of this mod it that there is a spot on the speedo circuit board marked W2. If you solder a jumper in that place the speedo will measure beyond 85 MPH.

speed govenor

Reply #14
Yes, Paul is right.  The car only reads up to 85 but it will hit higher speeds than that.  Though it's not really safe to go too much faster.