Skip to main content
Topic: speed govenor (Read 2237 times) previous topic - next topic

speed govenor

Reply #15
Quote from: Ifixyawata
Though it's not really safe to go too much faster.

When I engaged the governor, the car was only a year or two old.

With the worn springs, shocks, frontend, etc. I don't think I'd try it today.

speed govenor

Reply #16
well, i have brand new racing shocks on it. i have a new front end.
where would i buy springs at that will fit a tbird?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

speed govenor

Reply #17
Search the forum for info on what mustang springs work.

speed govenor

Reply #18
so i took the bird out for a spin, and the car stopped pulling at 85. it stalls out. is their after market parts to make it do this?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

speed govenor

Reply #19
Do you have a digital or buttstuffog dash cluster?

speed govenor

Reply #20
I did the mod on my speedo.The jumper wire is an easy job,you just have to be VERY careful not to solder anything else,as the two points on the circuit board are very close to each other.I got mine up to 144 so far.We'll see what happens after the new ported and polished heads are installed.I do the conversion on the standard speedos and put them on E-bay for $20 -$25.You have to disassemble the gauge cluster,remove the screws in the back of the cluster to remove the speedo module,and unplug the tiny harness that connects it to the rest of the cluster,then,disassemble the speedo by removing the "green screen" as i call it,and gently popping the little whit plastic retainers apart that hold the circuit boards together.You must be careful,or you're screwed.On the circuit board,you'll see a tiny little "W2.Next to it are two small "solder dots".Connect a little jumper wire between them and then the gauge can read up to 199 mph.I should've taken pics.I think there's a tech write up on the cool Cats tech center.I'll try to find the site for you.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

speed govenor

Reply #21
I got factory replacements at the parts store. I can't remeber the number but I know they are MOOG brand.  They even list the T/C with differnt springs that the regular bird/cougars
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

speed govenor

Reply #22
Quote from: slamedcat
Do you have a digital or buttstuffog dash cluster?

it is a digital.

speed govenor

Reply #23
It will go past 85mph. When you are going down the road and hit 85 push teh E/M button on the dash. The numbers keep going. You need to do the mod to make it read past 85 as stated in a prvious post. This should help.

speed govenor

Reply #24
i have the same prob. with my 94 3.8L Cougar. i hit 110mph and got plunty of rpm left. rebuilt most of the under side of the car,even new lover control arms, every thing i didnt do was done defor i got the car.  now how the f*** do i get rid of the governor. off topic is there any web site in can get any thing aftermarket to get the h.p. up? did the hole k&n thing and made my own exhaust. thank for any help you can give.

speed govenor

Reply #25
geesh I got 55mph and i get pulled over.... 140! 110!  i wish i lived where u guys do.

If your car is stalling and messing around after 85 u may have another problem?

speed govenor

Reply #26
I-35 runs through the center of Oklahoma from Texas to Kansas.LOTS of straight highway.Not many Highway Patrol.It doesn't take long to get the speed up then shut it down.Very cool,and a little scary with my stock suspension......but cool.Anybody with the standard gauge clust REALLY needs to do the 199mph mod.It's very easy,takes about 15 or 20 minutes if you take your time.Worth it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

speed govenor

Reply #27
Not a single one of these cars "stall out" at 85mph. My 3.8L did better than that.

Racing struts but stock springs? New front end and stock springs? I think someone is full of it.
It's Gumby's fault.