Skip to main content
Topic: *S.O.S* I Need help! (Read 5532 times) previous topic - next topic

*S.O.S* I Need help!

If I can make it to Cat Jam this year I need to get my car started. It will not start.

The following work has been done:

DIst. cap, Wires, Plugs, TFI module, Fuel filter and pump. There is spark at the plugs and we think there is also fuel getting to the engine. The battery's brand new.  The timing has been reset from top dead center. The engine turns over but it does not start.

That's about where it's at. Does anyone have any advice on whatever the problem could be?

BTW, The engine is a 5.0.

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #1
Does it make any attempt to start? have you checked your fuel pressure? did it just up and die or did it gradually get worse or have you done any mods to it recently?
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #2
It seems to try to start but it just doesn't quit want to go all the way. I have not checked the fuel pressure. Also the car's been sitting for years and I don't know how it ran before that.

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #3
You could try giving it a shot of gas down the intake and see if that helps it, if it does then its not getting enough fuel, not likely though considering whats been replaced, plug wires in the right places? no mouse nests in your intake or exhaust?
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #4
if ur just getting the turn over noise with no ignition but still getting a spark check your fuel pump...  before the set up i have now i went through atleast 3 with my t-birds...

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #5
Alex, pull a few plugs after it's cranking, see if they're wet from fuel. If so I think you have to concentrate on the spark aspect. Make sure they're the right plugs with the correct gap (.048-.052). I guess if the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the ignition coil, may as well get a new one of those too.

It is also possible that the distributor has a bad pickup, or that the oil pump isn't working. You could pull a valve cover and try starting the motor, see if the oil is pumping up to the rockers.

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #6
It's possible the injectors are stuck if it hasn't run for a while.  Try the shot of gas and see if it fires.  If it does fire and run for a few seconds then something is amok with the fuel system.  If not, then it's spark.

If it's fuel and you've done pump and filter, try tapping on the injectors a little.  I've had to do thath before to a couple cars that have sat with everything else new in the fuel system.  Check the FPR.

If it's spark, as Eric said, try the coil.  You might be getting spark, but it might be weak.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #7
Not that it helps, but this doesn't sound like a car I'd be comfortable taking a long trip in...

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #8
I'm with the guys suggesting fuel pump. Get a gauge at Autozone for $35 and test it.
"1FSTCAT" - 87 Mercury Cougar XR7, 5 Speed, Powerdyne Supercharger.

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #9
Not that it helps, but this doesn't sound like a car I'd be comfortable taking a long trip in...

We were all young and foolish once, Tom...the warnings went unheeded, believe me. ;)

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #10
Quote from: EricCoolCats
We were all young and foolish once, Tom...the warnings went unheeded, believe me. ;)

So CAA has FREE UNLIMITED towing???

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #11
Wait a minute!  WHEN did you get a 5.0L?!?!?!  You've been holding out on me!  Make sure the timming is correct., check the fuel pump relay, also make sure you didn't accidentaly unplug the round ground plug by the battery when you switched batteries.
See pic.

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #12
Just an update.  The fuel pump kicks on, and hums.  It's new. 

When we pulled the 1 plug to reset the timing after cranking it, it was wet.  I'm not sure we're getting ENOUGH gas to the cylinders, but it's possible we are.  There is only 2 gallons in the tank.

We'll try the shot of starter fluid down the intake today and see if it fires.  If it does, we'll try tapping the injectors and possibly getting a fuel pressure regulator and tester. 

We'll keep everyone updated.  If you have any other suggestions, we're open to it.
Willpower is no match for Horsepower.

Never know?

Reply #13
It's a long shot, but worth a look. Check the air filter. Had one car that sat a couple years, it too refused to start. Seems a couple generations of field mice built homes from the filter. When i tried crankin it the whole condo plugged the intake tube.

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #14
since nobody hit this one......  how many miles does this car have?  very possible that you spun the plastic teeth off of the timing gears causing it to jump time.  if nothing else works that would be what I would put my money on.