Skip to main content
Topic: *S.O.S* I Need help! (Read 5533 times) previous topic - next topic

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #30
are you talking about pulling the wheel to change it in a cougar/bird?  didnt have to in my TC

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #31
It's under the column covers, guys, not the steering wheel.

This is the fun part. Guessing whether you got a mechanic that's guessing and throwing parts at it, or if he actaully did a full diagnosis.

If it were me, he'd be wrong, and he'd replace 4 or 5 more parts at my cost and tell me it needed everything. I'd walk out with a bill of $1275, because most modern mechanics seem to skip the whole "diagnostics" part of diagnostics. LOL

I sincerely hope it turns out well for you.

--Ed
"1FSTCAT" - 87 Mercury Cougar XR7, 5 Speed, Powerdyne Supercharger.

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #32
After using the searh button, I feel the need to bring this back to life.

I am replacing my ignition switch soon, for a number for reasons.

There is spark at the plugs and we think there is also fuel getting to the engine. The battery's brand new. The timing has been reset from top dead center. The engine turns over but it does not start.

Sounds like what it was doing before I replaced the timing chain. Granted the chain looked a bit worn, but after reading this.. I think I wana try to change the switch. From what I've seen here so far, the ignition switch and lock cylinder is under the cover on the coloum. But what all is really involved in changing one?

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #33
The key tumbler and the ignition switch are changed easily without removing the steering wheel.Just the plastic column cover pieces.They can both be changed in about 15 minutes if you take your time.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #34
remove the plastic covers, turn your key to on and locate and push the release button. there will be a hole on the underside of the housing where you should be able to poke the button just look for it.

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #35
1 problem.. I don't have the old keys

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #36
Quote from: 88turbo;165753
remove the plastic covers, turn your key to on and locate and push the release button. there will be a hole on the underside of the housing where you should be able to poke the button just look for it.

That's the procedure for removing the lock cylinder, which is not the ignition switch.
The ignition switch resides lower in the column, and is held in by two Torx (tamper-proof?) bolts.
It's been years since I've done one, so I can't provide any more information than that.
I just wanted to make sure you knew which one was which, since there always seems to be confusion on that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #37
I'm replacing the lock cylinder as I don't have the keys, and possably the switch too.

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #38
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #39
Care to explane please? I have everything but the drill. I keep the midget in the freezer to keep him fresh

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #40
I'll post the relevant portion of the manual when I get home today.

Basically, you need to drill out the center of the lock cylinder to get it to release.

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #41
Thanks, if you would please Jeremy

Also, Sorry Alex for the massive thread jack' on my part

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #42
well its ben 4 months did it start
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #43
whatthe?

dude it was last year...errr last last year :hick:
if he still couldnt get it to start i doubt hes gonna make catjam 06!!!! might be just a *tad* too late for that :hick: :giggle:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

*S.O.S* I Need help!

Reply #44
WTF?!?!  HOLY raise a dead thread batman!!  look at the last post!  August 03 '07, the problem has long since been fixed.....  and you are bringing it back up because???