Skip to main content
Topic: Iso harness (Read 2875 times) previous topic - next topic

Iso harness

Reply #15
I'm in the EVTM right now, and I'm wondering, what is 3.8L still, and what (besides the engine) is 5.0?  You've got r/w through the salt and pepper shakers I assume.  O/Y on the 2 pin is just a ground, you probably know that, so when you connected the R/W to the post, what did you get at the IC?

Iso harness

Reply #16
If you have a 20th Cougar (all 5.0 SEFI cars) then it should have had the wiring for both the buttstuffog temperature sender and the electronic/digital temperature sender in the harness (my 88 Thunderbird with the electronic dash has both plugs in the harness). Now if someone swapped in a harness from a 5.0 Mustang your best bet is to just add the connector and wiring into the harness, or wire straight to the dash gauge.

Edit: I can try and take a picture of the harness on my Thunderbird if that helps.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Iso harness

Reply #17
Yes, the harness has been swapped, it was originally thought that the sefi harness would not work and unfortunately was discarded. i want to have the original harness as the finished work is much better looking (i could have added a wire from my salp/pepper shaker , but still would have had to open up the harness and reseal it  )

Iso harness

Reply #18
So you want the whole harness for an 87 5.0 Thunderbird/Cougar?

Too bad you pulled the stock harness. I used the stock 88 Thunderbird/Cougar 5.0 harness and added the 4 MAF wires. Works like a charm.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Iso harness

Reply #19
Think of how nice that harness would look redone with that fabric harness tape that comes in the Escape recall kit.  If you're in dealer, somebody has got to have 8 to 12 full rolls of it stashed away.

Iso harness

Reply #21
what would you have to get for it?, and do you have any pics of it ?

Iso harness

Reply #22
catching up here..

on the 20th harnesses, with electronic cluster, the single wire slip on boot is simply spared back and not used. 
now i am speaking to the 20th,, however like Foe said, if you have EATC in your car that drives weather or not you use the single wire or the other connector for EATC.

if the car came with EATC, then the "engine harness would have been provisioned for a single wire or the EATC connector.  I have an 88 harness that i believe is set up for EATC which would have both connections.

I see in your picture you require a single wire connection.

sorry just catching up....

mr FOE is way more than an ASE in my opinion and is beyond his  years,, and i am being brutally honest with you. 

If you want your OEM starwars cluster to work, with the harness you have, it may only require you to add wires and swap in the correct manifold sensor.
actually i will reword,,, I know your asking for a harness but i highly suggest adding in the conductors.

i am going to go back and for the second time re-read what it is your tring to achieve, although also i understand you are looking for a harness.  i do have an 88 harness but i would not want you to get boxed into a one year only deal wire harness with its own dedicated EVTM.

Iso harness

Reply #23
i am getting a hint that i sould not confuse your user name with the type of car.
Foe asks you what is still 3.8L and 5.0L.

do i assume the car used to be a 3.8L?  and as important is the car an 88 or 87 and down?

I totally upgraded a 87 3.8L to 5.0 harness for the driver side fuse box / dash harness.  i took it one wire at a time and discovered there really is nothing much different from the fuse box on the 87 and down 3.8L and the 5.0L.
The red/bl and the white pink are totally a huge riddle but i got it.

Iso harness

Reply #24
do you have another ongoing link here about the car your speaking about,,?

Iso harness

Reply #25
I assumed the car was originally 3.8 based on 20th anniversary Cougar being an 87, and the OP stating "SEFI Conversion", which to me says the car wasn't originally 5.0, or there would be no need to convert, as it would already be SEFI.  87 3.8's on the other hand, were CFI.  Therefor, to convert an 87 car to SEFI, it must have been something else to start with, which could only have been 3.8L.

Iso harness

Reply #26
well, oddly enough the 88 3.8L was also **NOT** SEFI,, EEC pins 58 and 59 drove 3 ea fuel injectors which somewhat mirror CFI.  same true for early 351w trucks like my 90 bronco

Iso harness

Reply #27
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;464246
I assumed the car was originally 3.8 based on 20th anniversary Cougar being an 87, and the OP stating "SEFI Conversion", which to me says the car wasn't originally 5.0, or there would be no need to convert, as it would already be SEFI.  87 3.8's on the other hand, were CFI.  Therefor, to convert an 87 car to SEFI, it must have been something else to start with, which could only have been 3.8L.

Actually it was a 5.0 car to start with (all 20th Anniversaries were). The OP pulled the factory 87 5.0 harness out and put in a 5.0 Mustang harness because, for some reason, he thought the 87 Cougar 5.0 harness wasn't SEFI. So basically he needs the connector for the temperature sender for a digital dash (because all 20th's have a digital dash). Rather than splice into the 5.0 Mustang harness to add the appropriate wiring for the digital dash temperature sender the OP wants an 87 5.0 Cougar/Thunderbird harness to put back in his car.

Got it now? I know it's confusing but that's the gist of this whole post.

Iso harness

Reply #29
10-4,,

20thanvcat~
what do you want to do?
we can help graft in the wires you need to get the temp to display on the dash... i think.....

confirm you have..............
digi dash= i assume yes
Climate Control system =  i assume yes