Skip to main content
Topic: I may look into making some poly motor mounts for the 86-88 3.8/5.0's.... (Read 12685 times) previous topic - next topic

I may look into making some poly motor mounts for the 86-88 3.8/5.0's....

If anyone has some 86-88 3.8 or 5.0 motor mounts (isolators and all) I can take a gander at, I may be able to come up with a poly set of mounts for them.

If anyone has any pics handy for starters, I could give a pretty good guess on whether I can help out or not.

Chuck
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Re: I may look into making some poly motor mounts for the 86-88 3.8/5.0's....

Reply #1
OK..maybe no one is interested :p

Reply #2
Never even saw the thread before now, to be honest. Saw your 2.3 mounts thread tonight, though, and they looked great.

Don't have a pair of them out that I could photograph for ya.. hopefully someone has a couple laying around. If they're identical to '88 LSC 5.0 mounts, it's possible I could have that pair out in the not-too-distant future, if no one else has responded by then. Depends on what I decide to do with that car. Also could have the '86's mounts out soon if that engine takes a . A lot of ifs, yes.. but I'd probably even be willing to mail them to ya if one of those situations came to pass, and you'd rather have 'em on hand vs. just a few pics.

How will they compare to stock mounts? Or is this one of those cases of "if you don't know, you probably shouldn't be buying them"? :D

Will this include the infamous bracket I've seen some people desperately seeking?

Hopefully this'll kick up some discussion about it. I'd hate to think there was zero interest around here. Best of luck with it. Maybe it's something I'd jump on someday if you have a leftover pair from a first batch, or jump in on a second batch if you do one.

Reply #3
Not sure what bracket you're talking about, unless it's the one's the SVO guys needed. Not an issue here.

From what I have seen in a couple pics, it might be possible for me to use the bottom half of my 86-88TC mounts with a new upper, but that is all speculation at this point.

Comparison to stock mounts?  Obviously stiffer, stronger..and they will never tear in two pieces....  You will sacrifice some vibration damping, but get a stronger mount in return.

I'm trying to see if it's possible to spread my use of these isolators out a bit more.  They are off the shelf items right now, but it may be possible for me on down the line to have some made up of a different (read:softer) durometer which will dampen better, but still not give up any strength.  I've also got a couple ideas for mounts I may market to the UK and Europe....

Reply #4
Chuck, except for possibly a slight difference in the height, the '86-'88 5.0 Bird/Coug isolators are identical to the passenger side 2.3 isolators. I've used a right '87 2.3 isolators for the left in a '86 5.0 Bird and it fit with no problem... BTW the FOX 3.8 isolators are supposed to be different than a 5.0, but the MN12 3.8 isolators are the same as the fox 5.0 units. You may want to check this out(possible Super Coupe market?).

So tell me whats the deal with the driver side 2.3 isolators that is smaller in diameter... Is it liquid filled??

If you can mfg isolators with the upper/lower brackets I would think the swap guys should be all over them. Although I've had no problem with my NAPA isolators, I'd buy a set if you decide to produce them. I'll see if I can get some shots of the upper 5.0 brackets(the lowers are the same as the 2.3).

Tom

BTW(again) The LSC uses Mustang type mounts that are totally different than the Bird/Coug(at least my '86 LSC did).

Reply #5
Tom-
Well, I'l looking at replacing the whole lot, bracket/isolator and all.  I haven't had any 5.0 stuff in a while, and even at that, they were 83-85's which used the Mustang-style mounts. 

I know they ar like gold, but if anyone wants to loan me a set of complete mounts I can work on looking into what might work...

Reply #6
hmm.... If I can get a mustang engine this weekend, I will be pull out my motor. If that is the case, I can prolly take some detailed pics while I have it out.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
As an aside to this...I'm also investigating alternate durometer isolators for my mounts....which should soften the vibes for some folks.

I guess we'll see how interested folks are about this.....

Reply #8
:rolleyes:

Reply #9
Not sure how we should respond.. has anyone on this board ever used a set of your mounts with the materials you use now?

How big of a batch do you need to make to make the effort worth your while? Perhaps if enough people respond, you could just whip up that amount using the original material, and get feedback from them on whether or not they consider them too rough? Don't know what else to suggest.

Reply #10
Well, my original stuff was for the turbo guys, and I'm not sure if any hang out here or not (there are 50-60 sets floating around). 
I'm not too concerned with batch sizes right now, I'm more interested in seeing what the stock stuff actually looks like and get my hands on some to get them layed out.

As far as "too stiff", they will be comparable to any of the other poly motor mounts available for the "Mustang-style" cross-members.  Like I mentioned, I'm looking into other isolator options, and if I've got enough part numbers to spread them over I can justify the expense of having molds made and offering up some durometer options.

I'm trying to get to the point on my other 3 styles of mounts of keeping a couple sets "in stock". 

I'm doing this stuff to fill in niches where the original parts have been obsoleted and replacements are tedious to hunt down.  The "factory" style isolator/mount design sucks...period, unless all you are concerned about is a cushy ride and never drive the car hard.  Also it gives an option for folks who are looking to do swaps, and not having to use py original isolators.

Reply #11
Chuck: I've attached a picture of my 5.0 mounts that went into my '88. The lower half are original T/C and the isolators are 3.8 MN12 pieces. The upper part that attaches to the motor is the difficult piece to find.

Rick
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

Reply #12
Rick- Thanks for the pic.  I can do replacements, no problem.  Just need to get my hands on a set to get measurments and make mock-ups.  Who's got some I can borrow?

Reply #13
Sorry Chuck.  I've got some but my motor is sitting on them at the moment.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #14
Well you're no help :p