Skip to main content
Topic: I may look into making some poly motor mounts for the 86-88 3.8/5.0's.... (Read 13484 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: I may look into making some poly motor mounts for the 86-88 3.8/5.0's....

Reply #15
I've got a set you can borrow, just pm me with the details. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #16
consider yourself PM'ed
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #17
Looks like Herb is sending me a set to scope out.  I'll keep folks posted on the results.

Reply #18
Wow if you do this chuck send me a bill!  I'll take a set!
One 88

Reply #19
I'll let you know.  I'm going to try and get some of the prototype bits lasered with my upcoming batch of motor mounts for the 2.3Ts (I've got a BIG list of orders this time...yowza!).. The bonus is that these can most likely use the bases of my Style 2 mounts (for 86-88TC), so my workload is reduced on this.  I'm also checking into the feasibilty of having the ability to offer a slightly softer isolator.  The feasibilty part being whether I can justify the cost of tooling for them...as I know they can be made for me.  Another reason for me trying expand on the uses for them.  Perhaps come fall I will able to say I can offer these to you guys.  Probably going to lean more towards the 5.0 mounts initially an maybe do 3.8's....but I'm not sure of the real need for those.

Reply #20
for the 3.8 guys, it might be best just to offer them the isolators, because theres very few guys that would be interested in the performance aspect, the 3.8L isnt notorious for tearing up the mounts, old age is
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #21
The thing is, I don't want to spend the time trying to reengineer a py design.  They may be best suited just using/modding some aftermarket replacements.  One of my primary goals is to ditch the py design of the OEM isolators.

Reply #22
Anyone have a pic of the 5.0 mounts bolted to a block?  Just trying to get an idea of them in context.

Thanks

Reply #23
Also..what size is the hardware that bolts them to the block?  Thread and length?

I just spent 15 mins looking at the stock ones and I have the design already scoped out ;)  I'll build some protos and get them into testing...

Reply #24
Here's the best pic I have. As for the the mounting bolts, I "think" they were between 1/2 to 9/16's, kinda blocked some of the aspects of that  ordeal outta my mind! Hope this helps some.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #25
Here's a couple pics of the mounts on my LS motor, and the last one is of what usually happens to them. :D Hey Chuck, my son wanted me to let ya know that the top brackets on the mounts are pretty weak, as he has broken two of them. :yuck:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #26
Cool-
Herb, the brackets you sent me are both cracked...so I see that issue.  What I'm going to do to the brackets won't allow that to happen again, nor will the isolators tear.

As far as the hardware to the block goes...I need to know exactly the thread and length....

Reply #27
I'm interested in the mounts - I don't remember what size/length the bolts are though. As I approach 400RWHP, I should be worrying about mounts :D
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #28
Well, I will need to know the info on the hardware as I'll be supplying new with the mounts when I do them, and they will wind up longer than stock, but since I have no 5.0 blocks here, I need to get this info from someone else.

Reply #29
I can pull a couple from the LS motor, and ship them out to ya , if that would help. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3