Skip to main content
Topic: I may look into making some poly motor mounts for the 86-88 3.8/5.0's.... (Read 13485 times) previous topic - next topic

I may look into making some poly motor mounts for the 86-88 3.8/5.0's....

Reply #60
I SO want a pair of those :)

I was wondering - would it be hard to make a mount that drops the engine an inch or so? For, say, a 351W-under-stock-hood swap? I ask because eventually my brother's gonna get sick of repairing his '97 E350 van with the roller 351 in it, and I've already told him that sucker is mine when he finally uses it up...

I'm not sure how much the engine would have to be dropped, nor am I sure whether you'd have enough room for the oil pan if the engine was dropped, but just thought I'd put the idea out there. Regardless, I will be wanting a set of those mounts for when things finally start to happen with the T-Bird...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #61
I could probably come up with something that would drop the engine a bit, but not sure about a full 1".
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #62
Will the drivers mount eliminate any grinding normally required to use the mounts with FMS headers? Only issue I can think of other than needing longer bolts.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #63
Quote from: Cougar5.0
Will the drivers mount eliminate any grinding normally required to use the mounts with FMS headers? Only issue I can think of other than needing longer bolts.

What grinding are you talking about?

They will come with new hardware.

Reply #64
Quote from: Chuck W
What grinding are you talking about?

They will come with new hardware.

Hmmm, I can't find it on Cool Cats though I thought it was common knowledge. The safety tab that extends out through the rectangular opening is fairly wide and high up near the mount. The side of the tab near toward the rear of the car getshiznit by one of the pipes as it heads down to the collector. It has to be scalloped a bit to prevent the pipe from hitting. It likely wont be a problem based on what I can see - could be ground easily anyway.

Reply #65
So what's the approximate price tag looking to be for these? Also, got any pieces parts pictures of the mounts for knowing how they would assembled.  Looks kinda like a simple yet possibly complicated setup.  They look rather beefy, what is the feel like compared to the Napa rubber mounts?  Also I vote for the black powdercoat!
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #66
Hmmm, I can't find it on Cool Cats though I thought it was common knowledge. The safety tab that extends out through the rectangular opening is fairly wide and high up near the mount. The side of the tab near toward the rear of the car getshiznit by one of the pipes as it heads down to the collector. It has to be scalloped a bit to prevent the pipe from hitting. It likely wont be a problem based on what I can see - could be ground easily anyway.

Well looking again at this pic

I don't think clearance will be an issue. ;)

nirvanagod...not sure what you mean by a complicated set-up.  They will come out of the box like in the pic and will get bolted into the car.
I did actually come up with a slightly different way to build them after reading Thunder Chicken's post, but it won't change the end result as far as durability and strength goes, but the ease of manufacture.
As far as pricing and NVH goes.  On my other mounts (stuff for the 2.3T), the prices have been $125/set.  As far as NVH, that's kind of what I'm having Herb checkout for me.  I know how they are in the 2.3Ts, but I don't personally have an 86-88 5.0 Tbird (or even a 5.0 vehicle to test).  They are noticeable but tolerable attached to a 2.3T, which is not a smooth mill.  The engine does NOT move though..period.

Reply #67
Well you replied to my wanted thread and I replied back.I want a set Chuck.I am in no hurry though as I stated.
 Thanks,
  Chris

Reply #68
Quote from: Chuck W
I don't think clearance will be an issue. ;)

Yeah, I don't think so either - it's hard to see how high the ring goes from the pics, but it seems pretty unlikely it will be an issue - just wanted to mention it... I'll be letting ya know how they hold up to 550 lb-ft of torque though :D

Reply #69
Yeah, I don't think so either - it's hard to see how high the ring goes from the pics, but it seems pretty unlikely it will be an issue - just wanted to mention it..

It's not any higher than the stock mounts (actually about 1/2" lower) and almost 2" closer to the block at it's furthest point out.

Reply #70
Those are SWEET!!! I'm definatly in for a set...

Reply #71
Very nice. I like the zinc coating but black powdercoat would be my second choice. Regardless of the coating I'll be buying a set!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #72
Zinc for teh win.

Reply #73
I must say WOW.  These look like they will solve alot of problems.

The only problem I see though, massive torque may crack the welds were the square tube welds to the round bung that bolts to the block and were it mounts to the motor mount plate.  Seems like there is alot of gusseting and we know your welds will be perfect so there probly wont be a problem.
One 88

Reply #74
Actually the design will be a little different for the "production" pieces.  It will be a little more in material cost, but will save some fab time.  They will be even more beefy than these, and the mounting hardware at the block is going be grade 8.