Skip to main content
Topic: Stella 2.0 - Major Overhaul time (Read 23988 times) previous topic - next topic

Stella 2.0 - Major Overhaul time

Reply #30
If I bought a used rear axle from anywhere up here and it looked like the before picture I'd probably leave it as-is because it's a "survivor" :rollin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #31
Car looks great. Should be like a whole new machine with all those upgrades you have going on. Did you go with the heavy duty or extreme duty rear lowers? Would like some feed back about how the extreme duty's feel as far as harshness goes.

Reply #32
Quote from: bodyman;454042
Car looks great. Should be like a whole new machine with all those upgrades you have going on. Did you go with the heavy duty or extreme duty rear lowers? Would like some feed back about how the extreme duty's feel as far as harshness goes.

Thanks! Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing how the car responds to the whole new suspension and brakes. I plan to start taking it to occasional auto cross events this year for fun. As for the control arms, I just got the regular heavy duty ones. I don't have any plans for super high horsepower.

Quote from: ZondaC12;454040
If I bought a used rear axle from anywhere up here and it looked like the before picture I'd probably leave it as-is because it's a "survivor" :rollin:

I wouldn't doubt it :P

Reply #33
Quote from: bodyman;454042

I ordered them. I'll let you know. I plan on launching the car at the track which is why I went with them.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #34
kingcars
Thanks! Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing how the car responds to the whole new suspension and brakes. I plan to start taking it to occasional auto cross events this year for fun. As for the control arms, I just got the regular heavy duty ones. I don't have any plans for super high horsepower.

When MMS (Jack Hidley) helped to set up my suspension package they recommended the extreme duty. I went with the heavy duty, it was the only recommendation that I didn't follow, was concerned about the NVH with no bushing at all. So let me know what you think of yours also. I have yet to get mine on the road.

thunderjet302
I ordered them. I'll let you know. I plan on launching the car at the track which is why I went with them.

There are some pretty rough roads around here so I am looking forward to what you think of them on the street.

Reply #35
No exciting updates this week; mostly just cleaning up parts and doing more prep work. Next weekend is going to be dedicated to running the e-brake cables and whatever leftover time will be spent probably dropping the old 7.5 rear.

Quote from: bodyman;454190
When MMS (Jack Hidley) helped to set up my suspension package they recommended the extreme duty. I went with the heavy duty, it was the only recommendation that I didn't follow, was concerned about the NVH with no bushing at all. So let me know what you think of yours also. I have yet to get mine on the road.

Ah ok. Jack recommended the regular heavy duty RLCAs for my car since it's primarily a street car; the setup overall is on the softer side of things to keep it comfortable to drive, but should provide a huge upgrade over the stock stuff. I'll definitely report my results :)

Reply #36
My occupational auto class in highschool, we were all assigned jobs for a final 50% of our grade. They all had to do with a school restoration project on an old 60's truck. While everyone else got to do the bed or engine or learn how a trans went together, I was given a wire brush and an old, old heavily rusted rear end. After 3 months of wearing out wire brushes I told the teacher I was done even if the rear end wasn't. He pulled out a wire wheel and had it looking new in 5 minutes, and then gave me a paint brush and some really heavy lacquer paint. I was so pissed off I transfered out of the class.

That's the only thing I can think of when I see a shiny painted rear end.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #37
Still nothing super exciting, but things are happening and it's getting close to the exciting stuff.  First of all, the last two weekends have consisted of running the new e-brake cables and gutting out the rear suspension:

Adios, old 7.5. You've done well

Replaced the upper control arm bushings with some "specialty" tools

Made some steel sleeves to prevent any distortion of the control arm

I told myself I was taking this pic to show all the rear suspension removed...but no...it's because I love how the gas tank looks now that it's painted

Oh yeah, got a new shifter too:

I also ordered one of these:
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirtpnp-g2-eec4a8-for-86-93-ford-mustang-5-0/

Next weekend will consist of taking apart the front suspension and doing a few things to help freshen up the transmission. At which point the car is pretty much ready to accept all the new parts.....whenever they finally arrive. Stay tuned! :)

Reply #38
Following this closely. I'm having a TC rear swapped into my bird this week also. Having a couple issues but hope to be going soon.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #39
What issues are you having?

Reply #40
You still waiting on the Maximum Motorsports lower control arms? I've been waiting over a month for my set. I called Maximum Motorsports this week and they hope to ship them sometime this week. I hope.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #41
Quote from: thunderjet302;454420
You still waiting on the Maximum Motorsports lower control arms? I've been waiting over a month for my set. I called Maximum Motorsports this week and they hope to ship them sometime this week. I hope.

Yeah, I'm still waiting also :( . If I can get it by the end of next week, it should be fine. Any later than that and it will be holding up progress.

Reply #42
Double post

Reply #43
Quote from: kingcars;454417
What issues are you having?

Still have low peddle after bleeding the brakes. Is there a difference in a TC prop/valve and my stock valve?
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #44
Quote from: ISTLCRUZ;454425
Still have low peddle after bleeding the brakes. Is there a difference in a TC prop/valve and my stock valve?
If you need a TC proportioning valve, I have one I can ship you for $30.