Skip to main content
Topic: Need some advice from Lincoln MK Vlll owners............. (Read 11651 times) previous topic - next topic

Need some advice from Lincoln MK Vlll owners.............

My 37 year old son is needing a new car soon, and I've been looking into the MK Vlll for him.

He owns an old 01 Honda Accord which runs fine, but the problems with these cars is the transmissions going out, and his is.

Anyway, I'm a wrencher, and I know the fallacy in the belief of the reliability of the big three of imports. I could give you all specific examples like the Honda transmissions, but they are just too many to list. Not to mention the cost of parts for imports.

I have heard that the 95-98 Lincolns with the DOHC engines have a good rep for longevity. I also know from my hot rodding hobby that these Lincolns have one of the best OD transmissions Ford ever made the 4R70W [the best, last upgraded came out in 99/00].

Oh, and the other thing is that you can find one of these cars [and I really like the body style, as its a little more sporty than the 4 door grandpa cars] usually they are well taken care of, usually have low miles [grandma only drove it to bingo, and just passed away], and you can buy them for a song vs import cars.

But, I want fist hand knowledge of what the major problems [if any], that these cars seem to have.

Reply #1
Throw a stick shift in the Honda.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Quote from: M-train;442893
But, I want fist hand knowledge of what the major problems [if any], that these cars seem to have.

The problems in those cars tend to be focused on the area between the front bumper and the rear bumper. Address that spot and you're good to go.

I'd like to find my thread or post with the list of problems but I think that post was back in 2003 or 2004 or sometime around then. My Mark was a '96. Great concept/design, poor execution. The drivetrain should stay intact but I wouldn't risk the rest. Those cars aren't durable enough to be daily drivers. I like them and may have another one day but it will be a Sunday/limited driver only.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #3
Quote from: Cougars 2 go;442895
The problems in those cars tend to be focused on the area between the front bumper and the rear bumper. Address that spot and you're good to go.

I'd like to find my thread or post with the list of problems but I think that post was back in 2003 or 2004 or sometime around then. My Mark was a '96. Great concept/design, poor execution. The drivetrain should stay intact but I wouldn't risk the rest. Those cars aren't durable enough to be daily drivers. I like them and may have another one day but it will be a Sunday/limited driver only.

Sent a pm your way a couple of days ago. Just seeing if you happened to have seen it?

Reply #4
Quote from: Cougars 2 go;442895

This!!!

Great design, poor execution!!!!

That aside, parts are somewhat hard to find. If you don't understand how the air ride works and how to repair it repairs can be costly. The transmission is still a weak point without the j mod. Timing chains, guides, and tensioners are a little spendy and the labor to install them is disgusting if you can't do it yourself. Oh yeah, the hid headlights are tough to find in good shape as are the regular lights. The neon rear filler panels are on par with 99/01 cobra tail lights price wise.

Should I go on?

Dare to be different tho. You can convert them to stick, slap an 03/04 cobra engine in one and upgrade the irs....

And yes there were a few verts made during the production run
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #5
Thanks for the replies. From what you all have said I don't think I will be steering him towards the MK Vlll.

I've been selling used cars from the big three imports, and from about 2000 on, give or take a year, there are problems that would keep me from recommending any of them.

I'll give you a little taste of what I have found first hand.

Nissan Altima 02-06 engine failures on the early years due to pre cat problem both engines. Problems with both 4 cyl, and V6 on the timing chain guides failing, valve cover PCV design problem early cars, ALL auto trans are junk. BOTH engines are VERY hard to work on due to the timing cover being very close to the frame. I usually just pull the engines to get to the timing chains. Alternators on the 4 cyl's have a clutch pulley that can/will go bad before the alternator itself.

Honda, transmission filter inside the trans, which is unserviceable unless the trans is pulled out/torn down. Electrical problem [Honda's answer to Nissans clutch pulley alt] with a fuse box that contains a switch that shuts down the alt [can't just buy the faulty switch, but the whole box at $250]. CV joints regularly go out.

Toyota Camry ignition switch problems, bad throttle bodies, bad auto transmissions. Sludge problems in the engines, bad cats like the Nissans.

So, I believe I will look at imports built around the mid 90's as these don't seem to have the issues the newer cars have.

IMO, I think the newer cars have so many issues as they try to meet epa mandated fuel economy [see Nissan, alternator clutch, recommending engine oil with too low weight], not to mention security devices that can lock the cars down so that it has to be taken to a dealer for a reflash of the ecu.

Overall, the newer cars are just too complicated. Too many systems, and subsystems to fail. Anyway, thats JMO...............thanks for the replies.

Reply #6
LOL, the air ride stuff isn't that bad...nor costly, unless you make it so.

Other than that I don't have a lot of experience with the Mark Viii, longevity wise.

OP, LincolnsOnline might be a good source for more detailed info.

And I wouldn't throw a stick shift in the honda, but i would throw a frag grenade. If someone would only lend me their Honda, and grenade, I would. ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #7
The newer cars aren't too bad once you learn how to diagnose and work on them. I picked up a 2006 fusion SEL 4cyl 5 speed manual back in December for $6600 out the door with a 3 year 36000 power train warranty. The dealer couldn't give it away because it was stick. The car has 72000 on it and came with all the service records.
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #8
It's also hard not to look at a late 80's Tbird, Cougar, Mustang, or mid-late 90's explore, mountaineer if passengers are frequent, and fuel mileage isn't a concern. Of course, if it's man made, man can also f*ck something up, either in the assembly, design, materials, or maintenance of the finished result. Good luck!
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #9
The air ride is easy and not  costly if you can DIY.

EDIT on my above post...

Newer cars aren't to bad to work on with a good scan tool. A cheap scanner won't help much. I just broke down and bought a solus ultra. No more keys woot woot.
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #10
Hell, just have him buy one of these. About as simple as they come....

78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #11
We could sit here and type 4000 pages on every car in creation and how each and every single one of them has some inherent flaw in stock form that needs addressing.

Most reliable/trouble free car I ever owned?  2000 Mercury Cougar V6 with auto transmission.  Bought new and put 135K miles on it before the transmission finally went.  Economically it wasn't worth fixing so I donated it.  Still had first and second, but $2000 for a new trans on a car worth MAYBE $3000 just wan't worth it for a commuter that saw 80 miles a day and we wanted a car that was covered under warranty so off she went.  Other than that I replaced the front wheel hub bearings at 75K.  No other issues other than routine maintenance.  Motor ran strong (although they needed more torque in the low RPM range, lol). 

Our Focus has been good to us so far in replacing the Cougar, but at slightly over 30K, it's hard to tell how she'll fare long term.

Thought about maybe a low mileage panther platform at all?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Crown-Victoria-LX-GREAT-LOW-MILES-2005-ford-lx-great-low-miles-/191331995831?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2c8c4690b7&item=191331995831&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Crown-Victoria-Only-45-771-Amazing-Low-Miles-2005-ford-only-45-771-amazing-low-miles-/191459334488?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2c93dd9958&item=191459334488&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Crown-Victoria-4dr-Sdn-Stre-Silver-P71-Ex-Police-47k-Miles-Cruise-Pw-Pl-Psts-Nice-/111574204397?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19fa573fed&item=111574204397&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

What's your price ceiling and what are the absolute "must haves?"
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #12
Get hit a miata, unless he is tall. Easy to work on, fairly reliable, good gas mileage, and a bit more "sporty". Unless you need a back seat.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #13
No Jeep stuff of any kind.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #14
As far as the stuff I have personally worked on I like the mid nineties Camry.

It was simple enough to fix with out having to take to the dealer, parts weren't too expensive, and it would go anywhere. We had one that lasted nearly 300k until an old lady going to a birthday party killed it.

IMO early fuel injected cars would be my bet for reliability. The technology had to be simple enough so that factory techs could understand, and work on them, and not complicated enough so that parts failed frequently.