Skip to main content
Topic: Need some advice from Lincoln MK Vlll owners............. (Read 11650 times) previous topic - next topic

Need some advice from Lincoln MK Vlll owners.............

Reply #45
Quote from: M-train;443696
Wouldn't the air ride problem be cured with a set of coil over struts/shocks?

Yes.

Reply #46
Will a terminator 03 Cobra engine [with the supercharger] fit under the MKVlll hood?

Reply #47
It should, it fits under the hood of a Thunderbird with 1/4's of inches to spare. Actually the only thing that is close it the pulley on the supercharger.

Reply #48
The 4.6 dohc is a very wide motor. The super charger sits on top of the intake, which is below the valve covers on a 4.6.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #49
Quote from: bodyman;443866
It should, it fits under the hood of a Thunderbird with 1/4's of inches to spare. Actually the only thing that is close it the pulley on the supercharger.

It fits in your FOX Thunderbird engine bay fine. A Mark VIII is on a modified MN-12 chassis (the 89-97 Thunderbird/Cougar chassis). Being that the MN-12 has a lower hood line than a FOX I doubt the Terminator engine with a blower would fit under a stock Mark VIII hood.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #50
thunderjet302

It fits in your FOX Thunderbird engine bay fine. A Mark VIII is on a modified MN-12 chassis (the 89-97 Thunderbird/Cougar chassis). Being that the MN-12 has a lower hood line than a FOX I doubt the Terminator engine with a blower would fit under a stock Mark VIII hood.

Thank you for the correction. I should have realized that the VIII is based off of the MN-12 chassis.

Reply #51
Quote from: Haystack;443883
The 4.6 dohc is a very wide motor. The super charger sits on top of the intake, which is below the valve covers on a 4.6.

Top of the blower is still higher than the valve/cam covers on the DOHC 4.6
Throttle linkage and IAC are the high points.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #52
Quote from: bodyman;443901
Thank you for the correction. I should have realized that the VIII is based off of the MN-12 chassis.

No problem. The Mark III and up have been based on a Thunderbird chassis. The Mark VII was based on the FOX chassis, the Mark VIII the MN-12. I really get a kick out of Mark VII owners who think they have something "special" when in reality all they have is a Thunderbird with air springs ;). I should know as I own a Mark VII.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #53
Quote from: V8Demon;443903

Top of the blower is still higher than the valve/cam covers on the DOHC 4.6
Throttle linkage and IAC are the high points.

There is no way that's fitting under a Mark VIII hood.

Plus weren't we talking reliable daily driver? If so a Terminator swap into a Mark VIII kinda throws that out the window doesn't it?

Reply #54
What's unreliable about a Termi 4.6?

As long as you don't go upping the boost, or adding a shiznit-pot of giggle gas to it...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #55
Well maybe not reliable per say but cost is a big factor. He wants an inexpensive car. Dropping a Terminator 4.6 4V into a Mark VIII isn't going to be cheap. You'll need the wiring harness from an 03-04 cobra, the stock 4R70W is going to need an upgrade as I doubt a 100K+ mile transmission is just going to shrug off around 400hp. The cost of the engine, wiring, tuning, and transmission rebuild to handle the power is going to far exceed the cost of a nice Mark VIII. Kinda throws the "budget" idea out the window. At that point just go to the dealer and buy a 400hp '11 and up Mustang GT off the lot.

Reply #57
No, no, no. I've already sold my son an 03 Altima that I completely overhauled for trade on his Honda with the bum transmission.

I'm now just bench racing.

Yes, the Terminator engine is quite reliable depending on how many miles is on it. It came factory with an all forged bottom end.