Skip to main content
Topic: 87 "coug" resto winter project (Read 85227 times) previous topic - next topic

87 "coug" resto winter project

Reply #315
Maybe i should make a steel ring to brace the front of the mount,,, just incase i want to insure the mount doesnt twist...or pehaps im over thinking it.
a steel ring would be ideal though...  maybe ill do that.

Reply #316
A pump pulley puller is easy enough to find/use. I don't really see the need for this, but that's just me.

You're over thinking the heck out of this ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #317
Not gonna knock looking at something differently but I too would have just put it together like factory. Nothing like making a better mousetrap though. Good work on the valve covers.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #318
I know,, i know,, over thinking is a bad thing sometimes.  Thanks though.

Reply #319
I dont see any issues with these headers i got from summit.  I may get heat wrap for the headers though, id rather wrap them if i need to be i likely will not being how i plan to dress the driver side wiring harness.

also, got the "re" replacement intake gaskets , glad i did.  these are what i feel more comfortable installing.

now i can take the intake apart and clean it up,, and inspect, clean and replace the injector screens.

oops............. seems ive forgotten to obtain a fuel pres regulator,, thinking adjustable might be the way to go ,, maybe stock would be fine as well if there are opinions...........

Reply #320
Those gaskets should work great. Just cut the little tab out of the coolant passage and you're good to go.

I'd just get a stock replacement Motorcraft fuel pressure regulator. Even with all the stuff I've done to my car I run a stock replacement Motorcraft fuel pressure regulator.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #321
Quote from: thunderjet302;461631
Those gaskets should work great. Just cut the little tab out of the coolant passage and you're good to go.

I'd just get a stock replacement Motorcraft fuel pressure regulator. Even with all the stuff I've done to my car I run a stock replacement Motorcraft fuel pressure regulator.

with a 331 & 030 over bore,, i have to find out how to calculate the very "leanest" fuel needs.

i cant see why yet a stock vac operated FPR would be an issue but it may ,, dono...........

i can keep the car speed density or go mass air.

Reply #322
Either way, with a 331 and the fuel system to support it, it'll need tuned to get the best performance/drivability...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #323
Quote from: jcassity;461632
with a 331 & 030 over bore

With a 3¼" stroker crank the engine is 331cu in because of the .030 overbore... With std bore it'd be a 327(or the combo Chebby used for years)... Actually 326.7264cu in but admittedly that's splitting hairs...

Reply #324
^ thats why we had the .030 bore done,, so it actually matches 331 tom.

thank you all!

Reply #325
Quote from: jcassity;461632
with a 331 & 030 over bore,, i have to find out how to calculate the very "leanest" fuel needs.

i cant see why yet a stock vac operated FPR would be an issue but it may ,, dono...........

i can keep the car speed density or go mass air.

FRPP has a safe hp estimate for fuel injectors based on HP. I've attached it. If you have a horsepower guess this should be a helpful guide.

I run 30lb injectors. The injectors are on the large side but I'm not worried about running out of fuel under any conditions in my combination.

Reply #326
minor progress, got engine pulling brackets made and installed.. needs paint now.

Reply #327
hopefully next i can get to buy a floor shifter transmission linkage ,, that part is holding me up right now from setting the power plant.
most everything else is down hill from here.. all the clean but tedious work of adding all the things that make this a car.

Reply #328
i took to the transmission the past couple days piddling around.
took off the over to change the filter and found what appears to be grit like sand.  not sure what to think..... sand has no reason to be in here...

also found small particles of metal , color of fluid in the pan is questionable but from what i understand this is the first time the trans has had a filter change since its upgrade and rebuild.  I will take a chance on it and move forward with stuffing it in the car.  i laid the trans on its side and sprayed parts cleaner everywhere i could to flush out any .

I was very disappointed to find this, but, it is what it is.

what it boils down to is that all this stuff was in the bottom of the pan till i flipped it upside down, probably brought this on myself by flipping the darn thing over!

Reply #329
moved on to doing a drain plug mod in the pan.
use a product called a jack nut.
next integrate jb weld as needed treating the weld like you would silicone in areas  where it will mate to the bottom.

The area i show is really the only safe place to add a protruding bolt. 
Its location ends up  being on the rear corner of the drivers side of the pan where there are no overhead conflicts.

drill hole
find a washer the jack nut will slip into
add jb weld to the washer and jack nut & washer to pan
drop in the jack nut with washer
insert a bolt and tighten to collapse the jack nut completely down.
remove bolt and convert the bolt to your plug.

eventually i will move on to making my gasket, re-bevel the mounting holes with a ball pin hammer, then clean the pan, rust neutralize and paint, then bake the paint on my wood burner here in the garage.  that VHT paint has baking instructions.. heat for 30min , cool, re-bake then cool then rebake. 

I will heat it up, then take it outside and drop it in the snow to shock it.  apparently you gotta temper the paint this way.  Never done this before so I'll see how it goes.