Skip to main content
Topic: 87 "coug" resto winter project (Read 85230 times) previous topic - next topic

87 "coug" resto winter project

Reply #285
better than stock roller lifters shown.
new timing set in.
heads all down and torque marked.

Reply #286
here is my rocker arm lock nuts i picked to lower thier overall profile.  they came to me for 49$ shipped.
made sure to get the pn for you all, they call out specific text for using stock covers.
Not actually true i my case, unless i land some cobra covers or confirm the HO covers are actually taller.... but........... with double valve cover gaskets this hardware pack will work with the regular oem stock plain black covers.  Fit tested yesterday and this solution works.

i also show a side by side illustration of overall length.
my new lock nut solution is also more skinny than the lock nuts that came with this "UNKNOWN BRAND" set of roller rockers.  They have no pn and the roller bearing is the only thing stamped with a pn and also says made in usa.

Reply #287
here i show the original lock nut with the roller 1.6's,, and the replacement lock nut simulating them installed and preloaded.

see the difference?

Reply #288
purchased a new Pioneer timing cover "SET".
lesson learned,,
if you pick the "SET" from autozone you get this cover.
If you pick the "COVER ONLY" you get a modern 87/88 version or closely matching Explorer style.

having said that, the older style gives you access for an optional mechanical fuel pump.

what i am having trouble understanding is this...
the old style timing cover which has provisions for a crank sensor and such if you look at the cover behind where the timing marker would mount, there is a 1/4'' hole.
the kit gives me two freeze plugs... one to cap off this hole.

the only people here who would know what that hole is actually for would be able to answer because i am betting its an 83' application/provision for something.

what is it for????

as you an see the plug and my install tool are ready to go but if i can make use of this i would like to.

i am thinking it was a port for access to the oil to provide oil temp???????
I am guessing and betting it was an 83, or perhaps even a Box Fox application ...

Reply #289
installed that tiny freeze plug,, hope someone can reply on that earlier post of mine.

got the timing cover and water pump in.

installed and preloaded all the rockers , they should be really close.

i added 1/4'' turn after the pushrod started to have friction with each pair on the base circle of the cam.

Reply #291
i was going to say something about that but since ive never seen it before other than my 84 when i was in the navy, today i look back and i figured it was a hack job from the repair done prior to my buying it.

I remember specifically / repeatedly always checking my oil by walking up to the front of the car and slightly to the passanger side, up front on the engine was the dip stick tube.

back then i thougth that was the way it was,, but when you mention what you said, makes me scratch my head even more.  that car was a 3.8L.

now that i know a tad more,  its a risky area to depend on oil level readings in that area of the pan, perhaps it was a  modified dip stick.

we do here have a very lenghty thread about dip stick differences for the 5.0L , i think we all found that there are three different ones.. all marked totally out of wack when side by side.

the thread is in engine tech somewhere called "dip stick differences"

Reply #293
got a couple more things done

harmonic cleaned up painted and new balancer installed.

set up the oil filter adaptor that has three output fittings for misc use.

then my oil pump strainer came in,, so i did up the oil pan and prepared it to go on tomorrow.

i mocked up the valve covers ,, i dont like it even double gasket,  i really need to find a set of slightly taller covers or just buy those cobra ones.

if i get a set of those cobra overs, then i will have to get two because my other son will be seven differnt kinds of "BUT DAD!!!!!"

Reply #294
these headers look just like what i "thought" was my idea only..... and apparently someone else was thinking the same thing.
http://www.jamesoaksenterprises.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_164_166&products_id=596

Reply #295
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;461409
The early Windsor engines were almost all front sump, and with a front sump, that dipstick tube location would make sense.

AFAIK till '78 all Ford passenger car engines were front sump... 1978 is when Fairmont was introduced, from that point everything transitioned to rear...

Reply #296
just seeing what it will look like. got the oil pan on & pump, and other  things.
gotta separate all those parts on top to check for any possible derbis and re-gasket as needed.

Reply #297
this is something thats always urked me a tad.
so.. does anyone know (other than ford 289cid) an intake gasket that solves the excessive opening on the water jackets of the heads.
adding a big goop of silicon along the edge can be done but its a weak spot.

i payed attention again and with this gasket, the outter perferation is not sitting on the head, but off to the edge.

Reply #298
got the valve covers on.
omitted the baffle,, who needs a stinkin baffle anyway.

i used the explorer metal gasket and stuck it to the head with high temp gasket silicone.  Next i put on without silicone the cork gasket.

seems to be working,, i settled lets call it.

cleaned up , corrosion treated and then painted them with VHT flame proof stuff like everywhere else on the motor.

Reply #299
Quote from: jcassity;461471
this is something thats always urked me a tad.
so.. does anyone know (other than ford 289cid) an intake gasket that solves the excessive opening on the water jackets of the heads.
adding a big goop of silicon along the edge can be done but its a weak spot.

i payed attention again and with this gasket, the outter perferation is not sitting on the head, but off to the edge.

Scott, is there a blurb on gasket saying Head Side? Gasket appears to be wrong side out...

At least going by the Fel-Pro I have on hand...