Skip to main content
Topic: Stock Quarter Mile (Read 6926 times) previous topic - next topic

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #15
Quote from: ThunderFox;433098
My old '77 Olds 98 Coupe with a 350 had similar stock power numbers (165hp / 275 tq), a 3 speed auto, similar rear end gears, much more weight and it still put down 17.4 in the quarter. The T-Bird is definitely faster than that car.

Ha!  I had a 78.  Did a cam swap with my uncle the weekend I bought the car.  Woke that bad girl up big time.  Threw a rod in it later on.... Wish I still had it.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #16
Bruiser ran 14.6 @98 standing 1/4 mile 2.3 5 speeder with just a tune and 20 LBS of wind. On slicks.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #17
Quote from: Haystack;433102
tbird does a bit under 10 to sixty, but it has a t-5 and seems to run better then the cougar.

Isn't that a v8 car? I have timed my 88's 0-60 to 8.x seconds with a 3.8 and AOD...

I would love to take my cougar to the track but I need a new windshield first...
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #18
i think mine did 1/8th mile in 11sec :(
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #19
Yes, both v-8's and the tbird is well over 250k and cougar is 197ishk miles i beleive.

the 88's 3.8 isn't a.bad motor for a stock power plant... 140hp puts it a whole 10hp less then the 302, but ill bet it makes more power at higher rpm's which would really help once its moving. my high mile 302's are all done at 4000rpm's.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #20
Quote from: Haystack;436531
Yes, both v-8's and the tbird is well over 250k and cougar is 197ishk miles i beleive.

the 88's 3.8 isn't a.bad motor for a stock power plant... 140hp puts it a whole 10hp less then the 302, but ill bet it makes more power at higher rpm's which would really help once its moving. my high mile 302's are all done at 4000rpm's.

The 3.8 is a terrible motor. I have changed many head gaskets on them over the years and FEL PRO came out with a superseded head gasket and they were much better but still an issue. In my 50 years in the business i am willing to say the 3.8 is one of the most engines i have replaced for mechanical failures (GAS ENGINES). The 302 according to my mustang DYNE actually produced good high end power over 3000 RPM,s much more HP and Torque compared to the 3.8. And the 302 is by far a very reliable engine no one can argue that fact.The 3.8 falls off quite nicely over 2200-2500 as most V6 engine inherently do. Now inline 6 cylinders accomplish much greater torque and a much better power band than a V.  Most stock 302 FORDS i have checked actually pull quite nicely right up to 4600 RPM's with good flat torque and good hp at those numbers.. Have a great day guys.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #21
Knock on wood, but I've seen at least 10 high mile 3.8's and none of them needed any major work. i wouldn't buy a 3.8 car unless i planned on swapping the engine.

the 3cfi 3.8's I've driven had no balls down low compared to a 302, but all seemed to pull harder up top. i also was really suprised at one 88 3.8 i drove causr you could swear it was a 302. Had enough power to chirp the tires and seemed to move out better then any of my stock high miles 302's did. obviously a h.o. swap and it would all be over, but you could make the same arguement with a split port swap on a 3.8.

One thing i hated about my 3.8's, got the same or worse freeway mileage then a 302. City was slightly better.though.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #22
The SEFI 3.8 I had in a 95 Thunderbird didn't want to rev for anything. You would nail the throttle to pass, the tach would rev up, and it would kind of move forward.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #23
i also was really suprised at one 88 3.8 i drove causr you could swear it was a 302. Had enough power to chirp the tires and seemed to move out better then any of my stock high miles 302's did.

Here is my DROP TOP GT churping the WHEELS just like a 3.8???? OK GOT IT!!!. Have a great evening guys.

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #24
Not talking stangs tom, stock 150hp 3500lb thunderbird/cougars with 200,000 mile neglected engines.

looks like your stang is missing some of the front and back ;).
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #25
My first cat was a 3.8 car with trak-lok and 3.27s.  I put  2.25" dual exhaust on it and a larger air cleaner.  Ran VERY well for what it was.  Would leave 2 solid rubber tracks about 6 foot long if I mashed it from a standstill.  No power braking.  87 CFI car.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #26
Quote from: Haystack;436637
Not talking stangs tom, stock 150hp 3500lb thunderbird/cougars with 200,000 mile neglected engines.

looks like your stang is missing some of the front and back ;).

Not any more that was when it was being restored.

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #27
The old iron-head 3.8s were pretty reliable. I had 2 fox marquis and 2 cougars all 1983-1985s, and they all had over 200k miles on them with no major problems. I didn't drive them hard though. It's funny, the 1983 cougar 3.8 with the carb was the only carbed car I ever owned that I can say ran perfect. Started right up in any weather, never hesitated, you'd swear it was fuel injected. The other 3 3.8's were CFI. Again, reliable, but with only a C5, they got about the same mileage as a 5.0.

I don't know where I was going with this post. I think I was just trying to say the older 3.8s don't (in my experience) eat head gaskets like the newer ones, and they can be a reliable commuter engine. You just won't win any races.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #28
Quote from: CoogarXR;436641
The old iron-head 3.8s were pretty reliable. I had 2 fox marquis and 2 cougars all 1983-1985s, and they all had over 200k miles on them with no major problems. I didn't drive them hard though. It's funny, the 1983 cougar 3.8 with the carb was the only carbed car I ever owned that I can say ran perfect. Started right up in any weather, never hesitated, you'd swear it was fuel injected. The other 3 3.8's were CFI. Again, reliable, but with only a C5, they got about the same mileage as a 5.0.

I don't know where I was going with this post. I think I was just trying to say the older 3.8s don't (in my experience) eat head gaskets like the newer ones, and they can be a reliable commuter engine. You just won't win any races.

Actually all 3.8s had aluminum heads. The CFI head is different from the 88 and up SEFI (well 88 batch fire) head. The 88 and up 3.8s are the ones that are more pr0ne to head gasket failure. If I remember correctly it was due to the gasket fire ring being redesigned. It was too close to a coolant passage.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #29
Are these 3.8's running with a factory tune? No short belts, advanced timing, etc., etc.? It's neat to see what people can squeeze out of stock hardware.
home ported E7's, HO intake, 93 Tbird cam, 65mm tb, Shorties, dynomax lers, TC 3.73 rear, Mach 1 springs, Bauman shiftkit, epoxy mod, SD, 3G alt, black magic fan