Skip to main content
Topic: Stock Quarter Mile (Read 7006 times) previous topic - next topic

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #30
I my experience with the SO vs HO 5.0....is the SO is dead after 3500rpms....I would assume the factory heads and the pencil for a cam are to blame...

Travis

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #31
Not really the SO actually makes a flat wide power curve on the DYNO. I have checked  a few over the years and they seem strong up to and including torque to about 4200- 4400. The mild cam gives it a flat torquey curve and very consistent as all engines with wimpy cams do.  Have a great day guys
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #32
Just not my driving experience Tom....The car would rev to 4500rpms just not make any power about 3500rpm...But that was 20 years ago...so maybe I have forgotten...LOL.

Travis

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #33
At 3500rpms on my digital dash on my first 86 it would stop pulling on the freeway. to exceed about 110 mph i actually had to let off the gas till it shifted back up to od and not floor it so it wouldnt downshift.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Stock Quarter Mile

Reply #34
Why in the world would any engine not pull after 3500 RPM'S with a stock cam. It makes absolutely no sense as a stock cam is so mild it has absolutely no problem making good torque in that RPM band . And the band that engineers use is idle to 4500 when designing. reason being you need torque to pass and when downshifting. Passing power is always designed in to an engine and that is as i said is around 4500 rpm's. Anyone that has ever looked at a cam book will know instantly that a mild cam is linier and strong all the way up to 4500-5000 RPM'S. Stock cams fall in to those categories.  Have a great day guys
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!