Cool pic, thanks for posting.
tbirdregistry.com

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #46
Quote from: cylon;421752
Just wanted to join the forum

Welcome!

I'm in the process restoring a 1983 Heritage which I bought new.

Cool!  :burnout:  Bought mine new also.  Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress.

I don't know if the VIN can provide the build date?

No it can't. If more build date/VIN combos were known, the VIN may give an indication of what timeframe the car may have been built but without the yellow date stamp or Marti report, the VIN won't tell you.

Looks like you have some extra digits in your VIN.
tbirdregistry.com

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #47
Just wanted to join the forum since I'm in the process restoring a 1983 Heritage which I bought new. It's on its second engine and transmission and while it runs very well it was in need a lot of attention. I've just about completed the interior with fiberglass floorboards and all the interior switches etc. New radiator, air conditioning, and heater. All the plastic interior parts have been reinforced with fiberglass as well. Suspension has been replaced including steering, torsion bar supports, struts and shocks. It basically runs like a new car.

I can't seem to find a replacement wiper control box so I have to manually turn off the wipers but at least they work. I'm in the process now of exterior work and eventually will have it painted. A long time ago I removed anything that didn't have a direct input to engine functioning. The biggest problem I ever had with it aside from the dam cam timing gear with plastic gears was the crankshaft position sensor. Seems like it was a shoot some would last for only a short time and others longer. I actually drilled a hole through the alternator bracket so I could remove them without having to take off the alternator. Seems like the current sensor is holding up pretty well.

I've tried to determine the build date but I can't seem to find it on the interior door as that has been reworked for the door latch. I don't know if the VIN can provide the build date?
But in any case the VIN is 1FABP 406F1DA1228333  24 if this could indicate a build date?

Nice to see another 83 Heritage here....good luck with the restore.....i have mine coming up soon, got flooded from Hurricane Sandy....Chracoal Grey interior?  Replacement console from a Blue interior? Keep at it.  BTW your VIN is shows your car to be built in Atlanta...no date code in the VIN.  Possibly a build stamp on your shock tower.....

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #48
Quote from: rodsterh;421767
Welcome!

Cool!  :burnout:  Bought mine new also.  Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress.

No it can't. If more build date/VIN combos were known, the VIN may give an indication of what timeframe the car may have been built but without the yellow date stamp or Marti report, the VIN won't tell you.

Rod, the Ford 999 report does give the build date which i verified as correct from my shock tower, so he can pay for a basic report and get the info he needs it.....

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #49
Just wanted to join the forum since I'm in the process restoring a 1983 Heritage which I bought new. It's on its second engine and transmission and while it runs very well it was in need a lot of attention. I've just about completed the interior with fiberglass floorboards and all the interior switches etc. New radiator, air conditioning, and heater. All the plastic interior parts have been reinforced with fiberglass as well. Suspension has been replaced including steering, torsion bar supports, struts and shocks. It basically runs like a new car.

I can't seem to find a replacement wiper control box so I have to manually turn off the wipers but at least they work. I'm in the process now of exterior work and eventually will have it painted. A long time ago I removed anything that didn't have a direct input to engine functioning. The biggest problem I ever had with it aside from the dam cam timing gear with plastic gears was the crankshaft position sensor. Seems like it was a shoot some would last for only a short time and others longer. I actually drilled a hole through the alternator bracket so I could remove them without having to take off the alternator. Seems like the current sensor is holding up pretty well.

I've tried to determine the build date but I can't seem to find it on the interior door as that has been reworked for the door latch. I don't know if the VIN can provide the build date?
But in any case the VIN is 1FABP 406F1DA1228333  24 if this could indicate a build date?

Here are a few interior shots of my car before the flood.....

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #50
Quote from: MY83T;421769
Rod, the Ford 999 report does give the build date which i verified as correct from my shock tower, so he can pay for a basic report and get the info he needs it.....

Correct.... I keep forgetting that!  :hick:
tbirdregistry.com

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #51
Just a quick update.  The car has been primed and has all new tires as well as a long list of suspension and electrical parts and switches. I even made the sidelights (C Column ?)  using blue LEDs.  At this point I need to take a break from working on it since it will have to be sanded again for the finish coat and I would just as soon drive it around for a while and give the primer a chance to cure. Still a few things to do, I need to put in a headliner, any suggestions would be helpful and also some routine maintenance such as new plugs, wires, distributor Etc.  But what a pleasure to Drive as I’m sure you all know. Some nice looking cars here on this forum.X

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #52
I got a pic from my Gray '83 factory 5.0 T-Bird.
Fender looks like March 24th and the shell looks like it is stamped March 22nd.
My sticker is un-readable on the door jamb, but I thought years ago when I could read it, it said Feb. 83.
However, if I squint real hard, that appears be an 03/83 in the upper left. ( bottom pic )

Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #53
Sheet metal date stamps can be much earlier than the car build date so not a good indicator of how early the car was built.

Build date better be a little later than the oldest sheetmatal stamping tho' :hick:

With some image processing, sure looks to be 03/83.

X
tbirdregistry.com

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #54
My new 83 is an Atlanta built car.  4/22 date stamp in yellow on the firewall, and a v8.  Pretty early car for a V8.  No buck tag which is consistent with all of the other Atlanta built cars i have seen from 83.  This car is an oddly optioned Bird, and i am ordering a Marti report which should hopefully reveal some interesting stuff.    I am working on a deal which would trade my low mileage LSC for another 83 Heritage with only 24K original miles, in showroom condition and almost fully loaded.  A factory black paint car too, which in 30+ years i can't recall seeing another black heritage or élan.  If i end up with the Black 83 also, i will photograph the heck out of that car, top to bottom.

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #55
Same date as my Lorain built car...they were going down the line the same day many miles apart!  Good luck on the 24K mile car, keep us posted and share any Marti reports you get.
Rod
tbirdregistry.com

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #56
Quote from: MY83T;451603
My new 83 is an Atlanta built car.  4/22 date stamp in yellow on the firewall, and a v8.  Pretty early car for a V8.  No buck tag which is consistent with all of the other Atlanta built cars i have seen from 83.  This car is an oddly optioned Bird, and i am ordering a Marti report which should hopefully reveal some interesting stuff.    I am working on a deal which would trade my low mileage LSC for another 83 Heritage with only 24K original miles, in showroom condition and almost fully loaded.  A factory black paint car too, which in 30+ years i can't recall seeing another black heritage or élan.  If i end up with the Black 83 also, i will photograph the heck out of that car, top to bottom.

You need a bigger garage :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #57
Somehow I don't think he's alone!  :)
tbirdregistry.com

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #58
Quote from: thunderjet302;451611
You need a bigger garage :hick:

or Matchbox cars

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #59
Or a way to shrink full size cars to matchbox size and then make them full size again when you want to drive them ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.