Skip to main content
Topic: Earliest 1983 TBird (Read 18991 times) previous topic - next topic

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #30
Not sure if it helps but my V6 83 Heritage has seriel # end of H101147 and a manufactured and shipped to dealer date of 1/21/83. When I was a kid we ordered a 83 new and it arrived in Feb 83, I no longer have it so dont know the vin but it was a V6

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #31
Also not sure if it held true but for my 65's the serial # all started with 1XXXXX, which were consecutive with all Fords built. If that held true my 83 would be the 1147th 83 Ford

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #32
Quote from: rodsterh;421268
I thought it was specific to the model but could be wrong.

-it is model specific, Dan.
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #33
Quote from: shorangerbird;421291
-it is model specific, Dan.

As far as I understood it it was specific to assy plant not model and they started at 100001 and went on with your # being assigned based on trim/options and availability of parts as ordered so in theory I guess a earlier # could have a later production/final assy date based on options/parts to complete build

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #34
It's model specific even within the same plant.  Wasn't 100% sure but did some research and found this good info right under our nose. :hick:  Makes sense seeing how there is a unique model designator in the VIN.

From http://www.coolcats.net/library/vincode.html

Also from other sources I checked, the consecutive number is when the car was scheduled to be built, not when it was built. Some orders were canceled and never built, some scheduled cars had to wait for parts, etc. etc. So if your consecutive number is 1001000, it is not the 1000th car built. In fact it could be built much later than 101500.
tbirdregistry.com

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #35
Quote from: MY83T;

Hi, i thought these promo videos were appropriate to post here, some cool vinatage vids i never saw before.....enjoy!

Wow, very cool!  Even though I'm always searching for stuff like this, I never saw these before either!

Thanks for sharing!

:cheers:
tbirdregistry.com

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #36
Here is a link to a site that some of my T Birds are on you can search thru the assy plant and year to see in sequence the ones they know of, I know it doesnt help with a actual date of production but does at least try to keep tabs on cars from early vin#'s thru late. Mine as of now is the earliest vin out of the Lorain plant but there would be earlier I bet http://www.tbirdregistry.com/1981-1985-vin-order.aspx

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #37
Quote from: Dansbirds;421311
Here is a link to a site that some of my T Birds are on you can search thru the assy plant and year to see in sequence the ones they know of, I know it doesnt help with a actual date of production but does at least try to keep tabs on cars from early vin#'s thru late. Mine as of now is the earliest vin out of the Lorain plant but there would be earlier I bet http://www.tbirdregistry.com/1981-1985-vin-order.aspx

Dan, if yours is a Lorain car, your build date should be stamped on your shock tower in yellow.  I verified my build date with the 999 Ford report and it is exact for the date with the shock tower stamp. Mine is stamped in yellow......

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #38
I've seen the stamps on the radiator support too, sometimes it's just a partial stamping and may be hard to see. I wouldn't be surprised if some cars never got stamped.  Yellow is the only color I ever saw.
tbirdregistry.com

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #39
I'll check and see if its on there.

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #40
Quote from: rodsterh;421332
I've seen the stamps on the radiator support too, sometimes it's just a partial stamping and may be hard to see. I wouldn't be surprised if some cars never got stamped.  Yellow is the only color I ever saw.

No stamp on shock tower but on radiator support is 1 18 which fits with the ship to dealer date of 1/21/83

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #41
Wow, that's an early one.  Could you post a picture of the stamp?  I'd say you would have the earliest V6 so far! :hick:

Now how about V8 and TC cars.  :burnout:
tbirdregistry.com

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #42
X Not the best pic but here it is

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #43
not on topic but does anybody have any ideas of where I can find the window felts, and chanel guides ?

Earliest 1983 TBird

Reply #44
Just wanted to join the forum since I'm in the process restoring a 1983 Heritage which I bought new. It's on its second engine and transmission and while it runs very well it was in need a lot of attention. I've just about completed the interior with fiberglass floorboards and all the interior switches etc. New radiator, air conditioning, and heater. All the plastic interior parts have been reinforced with fiberglass as well. Suspension has been replaced including steering, torsion bar supports, struts and shocks. It basically runs like a new car.

I can't seem to find a replacement wiper control box so I have to manually turn off the wipers but at least they work. I'm in the process now of exterior work and eventually will have it painted. A long time ago I removed anything that didn't have a direct input to engine functioning. The biggest problem I ever had with it aside from the dam cam timing gear with plastic gears was the crankshaft position sensor. Seems like it was a shoot some would last for only a short time and others longer. I actually drilled a hole through the alternator bracket so I could remove them without having to take off the alternator. Seems like the current sensor is holding up pretty well.

I've tried to determine the build date but I can't seem to find it on the interior door as that has been reworked for the door latch. I don't know if the VIN can provide the build date?
But in any case the VIN is 1FABP 406F1DA1228333  24 if this could indicate a build date?

XX