Skip to main content
Topic: Explorer uppper and lower mod begins, son's christmas prize (Read 5419 times) previous topic - next topic

Explorer uppper and lower mod begins, son's christmas prize

Got my son an explorer upper and lower,
he already has the larger TB, think its 65mm,

is it really worth it to put this on his car now,, will there be any "feel" to the add on?

he's got dual 2 1/2'' exhaust but stock headers,
88bird 5.0

thoughts?

Reply #1
You need a hci combo to feel any thing

A good cheap combo

Gt40 heads intake and a tfi stage one cam with 1.6 or 1.7 work good to  Tfi sells a good valve spring kit

This is a simple and proven build

Reply #2
Hi Scott, is this on a standard output or HO 5.0l?  I would think if you have the standard output the next bottleneck will be the e6 heads then the 14lb injectors.  I think the cam grind is close enough with the SO to the Explorer motor but I could be wrong. I do not think the Explorer intake would be much help to these motors.

If its the HO, I am doing the same on mine and hope to achieve a payoff of positive results.  I am also debating using the gt40p heads I have set aside or keeping the e7 heads I had worked over with the bigger gt40 valves.  I am also gonna try to use the updated Bosch 19lb'ers that came with my intake.

Good luck with the results! Take care and Merry Christmas!!
Tim

Reply #3
I agree..if it's an SO, may as well pull the heads and swap on the GT40\P's if you've got 'em, as well as an HO cam or better, and of course the Exploiter intake set.
I'd probably wait till I had the cam AND heads first...no sense in pulling the intakes twice.

I agree with the TFS 1 cam too, it's been recommended by too many folks who have ran it...it works, makes great power, and of course with 1.6 or 1.7 rockers...

There was a guy who took a low mile Explorer engine, threw in a TFS1 cam, added headers and of course all the Fox parts (pan, accessories, distributor) and left the rest of the engine stock, save the cam, and claimed to have gotten 300 horse at the hides....true or not, I can't say, but there's a lot of room to grow in the '40 heads and the Explorer intake.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #4
I think even with an SO engine, the intake will make a difference.

As far as E-6 heads go, yes, they are at the bottom of the food chain, BUT, with my '87 Mark VII engine (E-6 heads and flat top forged pistons), with the H.O cam, it would move quick. Intake gaskets cost $20 after taxes. Swap on the intake and enjoy it. You will need a throttle body spacer for the 65mm t-body though. Take the hour or so to swap them. IF you don't feel a big difference, you're out $20. If you do feel the difference, which I think you will, even better. No, it won't be a freight train pulling, but, still fun and it HAS to better than that tiny little stock t-body and tiny little intake opening for the engine to breathe, even if it is an SO engine. If it sucks, I'll pay for half the intake gasket costs. Now, go swap them.

I have the TFS-1 cam, and P heads, blah, blah, blah. But even when I had the H.O cam, the car was a blast. I do have thoughts of swapping that cam back into the car at times. With the P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, and the rest, I think the low end pull of the H.O cam is still a great joy. No issues, good gas mileage, good power, and fun.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Hard to beat an HO cam. Thank god Ford's bean counters were kept away from it, lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #6
I agree. I believe the H.O cam is very underestimated.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
Its good to know the HO cam is a keeper with the gt40 goodies. I cant wait to see the difference in my rig. This is good encouragement to keep plugging along on getting my car roadworthy for 2013!

Reply #8
If you don't want to swap the heads I would at least stick a HO cam and 19lb injectors on with the GT40 intake. That would make a noticeable difference.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
hey guys,
got the lower half off , dizzy ect ect............

to swap in the ACT , what tap size is that bugger?  need to drill the lower intake for the ACT and figured i would ask.
doing a small parts run in the morning.

also, car has the larger TB, 65mm i think, swapped that on a while back.
he has gray top injectors,, 14lb i think,,

cant do orange tops yet can i ??????? think they are 19lb???

sorry , in a rush for lots of stuff going on now like everyone.

posting pics of progress on next post

Reply #10
You need a 9/16" drill bit and a 3/8" NPT tap for the ACT sensor hole. You'll also need to tap a hole for the EGR coolant return line on the rear of the intake. There is a circular area molded in where you can drill and tap for a pipe fitting with a nipple that fits the EGR coolant hose.

You can't swap in 19lb injectors without a HO computer. If you run the 19lb injectors (orange tops) with the stock Thunderbird computer, which is set up for 14lb injectors, the car will run too rich and not well at all.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #11
Here is the pic of Mason cleaning up after pulling the top parts off the engine.

Reply #12
I think we are shy heads and harness mods, we have the HO EEC from an 86 MKVII, plus any wiring mods needed.

thanks for the heads up on the  egr coolant lines,, i am wondering if its not even worth hooking those up, i really dont see the point in using egr cooling ports.
Less holes to pop in the intake.

BTW, the intake measures .012 on the welded edge,, gonna fix that tomorrow as well, its pretty thick, thought it was much thinner than that

thoughts?

Reply #13
3/8'' tap??????????  that ACT is wayyy larger than 3/8'' diameter????????

is that because the NPT is tappered?

Reply #14
Quote from: jcassity;405406
3/8'' tap??????????  that ACT is wayyy larger than 3/8'' diameter????????

You need to use a 3/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) tap. It's bigger than a regular 3/8" tap.