Skip to main content
Topic: Explorer uppper and lower mod begins, son's christmas prize (Read 5418 times) previous topic - next topic

Explorer uppper and lower mod begins, son's christmas prize

Reply #30
ill have my son read this thread and gather parts,,
we were aware of the header expense, and the plug angle.

from my diy link,, is the below data still accurate from what you know,, i usually have the info i need, but time tests all this stuff you know.

302 / 87-93 / E7TE-PA / 60-64CC / 1.78/1.46
 302*/ 93-93 / F3ZE-AA / 60-63CC / 1.84/1.54 GT-40 COBRA/some mid 90's f150 with 351
 302*/ 94-95 / F4ZE-AA / 60-63CC / 1.84/1.54 GT-40 COBRA/some mid 90's f150 with 351
 302*/ 96-97 / F1ZE-AA / 63-66CC / 1.84/1.54 GT-40 EXPLORER/Mountainer
 302*/ 97-00 / F77E-AA / 58-61CC / 1.84/1.46 GT-40P EXPLORER/Mountainer
 *******GT or GTP stamped next to number 1 spark plug
 *******1996 is the magical confussing year for the gt as it may also be on SUV's.
 *******Dont forget these appear on 351 truck engines as well.
 *******obtain headers off doner as well
 *******obtain larger throttle body/upper /lower intake since they flow better
 *******concerns...existing piston clearance

Reply #31
When I did mine, I didn't bother with drilling and tapping for IAT, I just extended the harness and relocated to the air box where the air is cooler. 
My setup: 120k 96 Explorer (non P) complete assembly, swapped the timing chain to double roller, swapped to late HO cam, swapped on early timing cover (which was made much more fun for retaining the Explorer oil cooler), pulled the CMP for my TFI dizzy, carried over the cast valve covers from my HO. converted the 65mm TB, capped off the EGR cooler lines, carried over my 60mm EGR spacer, FRPP oil pump, swapped the pan and pickup, retained speed density (which is starting to get a little pissed with my combo), smog pump delete, 3G, and deleted silencer.  Mostly all at once.  I still need more exhaust.
XX

Reply #32
Another thing on the gt40p heads is to upgrade the current valvesprings supplied for the explorer. They are light and low revving,Crane and I am sure other brands have the upgrade springs to fix this problem.

Reply #33
My BBK unequal length shorty headers work just fine with 90 degree plug wire boots and a short plug on number 7. No big deal, and the headers (BBK) can be found used really cheap.

I told you that you would feel the difference. LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #34
The '86 E headed HO made 200HP and that's using a smaller 58mm throttle body than the 225HP '87 up... As bad as E6 heads flow, the E7 really aren't that much better, when it's time to swap go with a at least a GT40...

Reply #35
Quote from: vinnietbird;405647
My BBK unequal length shorty headers work just fine with 90 degree plug wire boots and a short plug on number 7. No big deal, and the headers (BBK) can be found used really cheap.

I told you that you would feel the difference. LOL.

i still have some bbk's tom sold me a long time ago,, didnt have time to groom these in yet.
You were right though,,, car sounded -T- totally different and power was gained.  The only description i can think of is "more fluid" like feel.
seems like the motor found something it needed. 

hey foe, kina like that short coil wire you have,, had to make mine short like that on the 20th cause it was like 40feet long.

Reply #36
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;405650
The '86 E headed HO made 200HP and that's using a smaller 58mm throttle body than the 225HP '87 up... As bad as E6 heads flow, the E7 really aren't that much better, when it's time to swap go with a at least a GT40...

well, he's over in charlottsville va going to school so he will have to hunt them down , he says the junk yards over there (what little there are) are highly organized and its like entering a store with a security check, not like around here where you go up on the hill and get what you need then drive down to pay.

Reply #37
What parts does Mason still need? I'm going to the yards maybe Monday if I get over this ed cold/flu...I can try to find some stuff if there's still something you need (factory parts, that is).
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #38
i am gonna have to talk with him, he knows he "would like" gt heads and a cam, next would come the stall converter imho.

his thoughts are that with 175kmiles, he tends to think its not a bad idea to start thinking about a motor rebuild and i warned him this could become the part where it gets expensive.  I briefly reviewed with him the stroker kit concept and so now he drools about the idea .. that being said,,

"I" am going to focus on getting the white cougar up and operational for my younger boy chance this summer.. and this in itself will be a bitch because its all 3.8L infrustructure,, inless i go with mega squirt tfi system, otherwise 50 harness's are becoming hard to find in my woods.,, plentyful on trucks though,,,
hummm,, never considered the truck harness as aption before......
oh yeah,, and i gotta get my bronco up again this winter so that will be happening after i get this ign sw / headlamp relay mod done.

I'll pm you with a list of stuff,,, thank you again!

Reply #39
GT40s will be too small for any type of stroker unless you port the bejesus out of them. At that point you may as well go with aftermarket aluminum heads as they'll flow better out of the box than heavily ported GT40s. Either option will cost cubic dollars :hick:.

He may be better off getting a set of GT40s, cleaning them up, replacing the valve springs, and bolting them on. The only thing I'm fuzzy on is if the GT40 heads will bolt up and work with the stock SO pistons. If so this is probably his best bet right now. After he finishes school he can take the time to build an engine and drop it it. It would be more fun as he'll have the time to build something nice, even a stroker if he wants :D. Plus then he'll hopefully have the $$$ to build something really fun.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #40
The 5.0 truck harnesses before '92 are batch fire, the ones after '94/'95 are OBD-II...

Due to the tall intake, many of the truck components are located in a different area, plus computer mounts on driver side, without modifications they aren't really compatible...

A '88 5.0 harness is plug and play in a '88 3.8 Bird/Coug... I'll have to check but I may know where one is...

Reply #41
dang it,, forgot about truck batch fire ,, should have known, my 351 is batch fire.  oh well.,, and that eec location, yup dumb thought.

BTW,, the 88 3.8L is also batch fire, i can see how a 5.0 harness would work as an upgrade,, too easy.

Reply #42
Scott the 5.0 harness I mentioned is gone, went to the s yard with the car...

Reply #43
Wow! I had no idea Ford did batch-fire on anything. It makes sense that not everything was SEFI overnight....glad I never made the assumption in a parts-buying situation or something like that. Definitely learned something tonight!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #44
!~ the upper intake cracked again ,, posting a wanted thread.

he is out of state, its not safe for him to be city driving at 2k rpm at idle.

i have a spare here, so with two cups of coffee in me, and a total wreck to my schedule this weekend before i take off on a work trip early 4am monday, ill cruise over to charlottsville with a spare upper.